Club Touareg Forum banner

Camshaft position sensor location for W12

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  APGE 
#1 ·
Hi guys.

On my Touareg W12, the warning light of the engine check is on. The dealer said that it is necessary to replace the camshaft position sensor(Bank#2 exhaust). It says that it is necessary to remove the engine for this purpose. But I doubt if it is true.

Does anyone know the location of the camshaft sensor? Also, do I need to remove the engine to access the camshaft sensor?

APGE,

#2 ·
Over the years there have been very, very few questions about the rare W12.

I hope someone knows the answer though!

#8 ·
If I remember correctly, I was looking to buy a w12 Phaeton and the sensors could be accessed by removing the intake and maybe the valve covers. I’m sure it could be done in the car as they are in the location of the tandem pumps. That said it may cost the same as pulling the engine as the work load is similar. If it is something you are doing for yourself it is a no brainer to do it in the car... if the clock is ticking at a dealer it may be a wash. Maybe a independent shop would be a good place to get a estimate?
Hi Blownvette-san,

Thank you for your opinion based on experience.
I think maybe Phaeton and Touareg are the same way of working.
I will question to independent shop as you say, and get second opinion. At first, I will search shop in Japan.

Thanks, and Regards,:smile2:

APGE,

#5 ·
View attachment cam sensor.pdf
Hi guys.

On my Touareg W12, the warning light of the engine check is on. The dealer said that it is necessary to replace the camshaft position sensor(Bank#2 exhaust). It says that it is necessary to remove the engine for this purpose. But I doubt if it is true.

Does anyone know the location of the camshaft sensor? Also, do I need to remove the engine to access the camshaft sensor?

APGE,

Yea rear of the head
2 on ea bank
If they are and issue to get to replace both or if engine is out all 4. (item # 7)

regards
Drag

Attachments

#10 ·
Hey guys,

I will report this theme.
I was talk to VW dealer technician about how to access cam position sensor without remove engine. I was describe everyone's information and experience.
As a result, technician could access cam position sensor without remove engine. There is just very thin space, but he could access one.
To cross check, he exchanged sensor between intake and exhaust. Then sensor became works normally. I guess the contact of connector was refreshed by changing sensor. But the cause is not fully understood.

Now, there is no engine problem, and my TREG is good condition. Thank you for everyone and VW TAMA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.