Buying advise on Touareg Hybdrid w/ replaced engine needed - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 22 Old 02-22-2016 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Buying advise on Touareg Hybdrid w/ replaced engine needed

Hi all,

I joined this community to read more about Touareg's and it's flaws as I am currently looking for a used one to buy. I've found a 2011 Touareg Hybrid which looks very good in person and on paper. All maintenance has been done at a VW dealership way before the actual milestones all through its current 61,000 miles. However, it appears as if they had to replace the entire long block on this vehicle (done at the same dealership) and this leaves me rather concerned. My question to you: Should I? Are the 3.0T known for being unreliable? After all, the same engine is used in several other Audi models, right? How badly is this going to affect the residual value. I am in the States for only another 2.5-3.5 years and I don't want to loose too much money when re-selling it.

I'll have the car today overnight for an extended test drive. Anything else I should watch out for?

Appreciate your advise very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-22-2016
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
What is the warranty on the batteries?

"How much will they cost to replace?" will probably be the very first question in a buyer's mind when you are trying to sell an 8 year old car just before you leave the US?

It's a nice car, but . . .

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #3 of 22 Old 02-22-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
Garage
The Touareg is a rare car...I still get the "it's a VW??" from folks...then there is the Hybrid version...I know very little to nothing about it...but you might try posting in the hybrid only thread...located here:

https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f4...-79221-58.html

I think posting in the above thread should notify anyone who knows anything about Hybrid Touaregs and you might get better feedback.

Good luck and welcome to CT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 02-22-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 Hybrid
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Garage
Don't pay attention to Nooby, he is the resident Hybrid Hater. Problem is, though, he usually makes good points.

I think the Hybrid battery warranty is 8 years or it might be the same 10 years, 100,000 miles as the power train.

Either way, the Touareg Hybrid is a kick ass car, but like Nooby has pointed out in other threads, it's technology is dated. It really needs a bigger battery and bigger electric motor and plug in abilities. (Like cousin Cayenne received recently.)

Most of us have had growing pain issues regarding the Hybrid specific components and no major issues with the motor. Like you mentioned, the motor is a fairly normal engine for Audi vehicles and has good reliability or they would have dumped it a long time ago. My biggest issue with the motor is helping VW techs figure out how to work on an Audi engine that they have never seen.

As for residual value, many people may not be as vigilant as you are regarding the past of the vehicle. I assume it has a clean title, but you just caught the replacement in the CarFax? Most people check the CarFax and if all the little green arrows are checked then they are happy.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
post #5 of 22 Old 02-22-2016
Multiple v10tdi owner

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2004 V10 TDI
Garage
I test drove one and thought it was great. I did notice the steering wheel shake around 50 mph that is a problem, but seems to be somewhat common on later Touaregs from what many have posted here.

If you like it, I would suggest buying it. I would have bought the one I was looking at but the dealer liked it more than me when it came to the price....

Also a suggestion I will offer, take the opinions from people that have actually owned one. I know with the V10TDI's being so rare that people with the strongest negative opinions are those that don't own them, (I think they are great and I own three) same may go for the hybrid as they are even fewer owners out there.

3 V10TDI's: (2)2004 Black/Black, Silver/Black and 2004 V10TDI in 1990 Corvette
post #6 of 22 Old 02-22-2016
Touareg Addict

Second Vehicle: Other
Don't worry about the battery. There are companies that "rebuild" your battery array. You won't have to pay new "list" price for a replacement battery, IF you ever need one.

I sold a hybrid Escape and the battery array was fine. In fact, the buyer was not concerned about it, either. Prius owners log close to 200,00 miles before some people start needing battery replacement.

The good news about the engine replacement: You got a newer engine!

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
post #7 of 22 Old 02-23-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks to all for your valuable feedback! I think noobytoogy has a fair point. The hybrid drive has a warranty of 8 years/100,000 miles, so as long as I own it I won't face any issues. But I would be one of those potential buyers in the future being concerned about battery life and running out of warranty. But then again, there are tons of people out there that absolutely do not care about stuff like that or accept not having warranty on a 8+ year old car.
It is a tough decision as I really like the car and its technology and yes, it is probably a plus that it has a completely new engine. Although it still leaves me somewhat concerned why it had to be replaced in the first place...

It's listed for appr. 26,000 USD which I believe is quite competitive due to the car's history. I'll let you know how I decided and thanks again!
post #8 of 22 Old 02-23-2016

Touareg: 2012 V6 FSI
Engine replacement could be something stupid like the last owner never checking oil level or a tech dropping something while filling it.

Try to talk to the Dealer that did the job, they should be able to tell you the reason in was replaced.

The 3.0T is a great engine, really smooth, Its light years ahead of the 3.6 FSI.

One good advice I can tell you is don't buy a car without warranty if you can't afford repairs. This a reason I baught a 3.6, I did not have the budget at the moment to pay 8k more for a comparable TDI so I'm putting more gas and have a lot of $$ to spare on maintenance and repairs.

Daily - 2014 Audi Q5 TDI
SOLD- 2012 Touareg Execline VR6

Past - 2013 Tiguan R-Line

Toy - 2008 BMW 135i ~480whp
post #9 of 22 Old 02-23-2016

Touareg: 2013 Hybrid
Bought my 2013 on Dec 31st with 19,000. To date it's been in the shop 27 days. Has run normally no more than 5 days of that time. IT's now running like total **** again. Missing multiple cylinders, no doubt due to yet another coil (4 replaced so far) or more.
Dealer knows NOTHING about the car. After 2nd visit they told me they know nothing about them, have never seen one, were never trained.
VoA says ALL dealers are authorized hybrid service centers and would not refer me to a dealer that might actually know somethign. Last service was 120 miles away where I bought it and they had 1 trained tech. Ran good after that. For 12 hrs, then engine lights back on. They had it for 9 days.
This will be the 4th visit for the same problem which qualify's it under the state of Indiana LEMON LAW.
Visits to Audi and Porsche forums show a significant pattern of coil problems with this motor.
when I called VW Roadside Assistance and told the operator it was a hybrid, he immediately asked me if it was shaking badly and no power (as it is). HE KNOWS ABOUT IT!!!
Run, Run, RUN, FAR AWAY from that POS.......................

2013 Touareg Hybrid Dk blue ext/saddle brown int - Gorgeous car.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-23-2016
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by k21975 View Post
Don't pay attention to Nooby, he is the resident Hybrid Hater. snip
We like to use the word 'curmudgeon' Adds class!

2008 M-B GL 320 CDI (wifes), 2000 Golf GL TDI (sold), 2004 Touareg V10 TDI (acquired 2/2011), 1984 Mitsubishi 4WD Pick Up turbodiesel (beater truck), location - SW Washington St, USA

Tags
hybrid , replaced engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode