buying a touareg with high mileage - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 29 Old 08-21-2012 Thread Starter
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: is jealous
buying a touareg with high mileage

hey everyone,
i just registered on here (have been lingering for a while now to be honest lol). there is a touareg that im looking at, its 2004 but has a whopping 13700 miles = 220000 kms . i already know that the 2004 model year was not the best for touaregs and then buying a 2004 with such high mileage seems like a big no no....but i LOVE THEMMMMM like ALOOOOOT hahahah. being a student at the moment i obviously don't have thousands rolling around for repairs so i don't want to get in way over my head but my parents will help me with more minor repairs. what is your opinions? lets say i can get it for really cheap, is changing the engine out a feasible option? should i just stay the heck away from it?. i really value all your opinions and knowledge and i hope to have a touareg sometime soon. on a side note, can anyone tell me how much worse the v8 treg is compared to the v6 treg on gasoline? i really like the options on the 2008 but im kinda scared of th gas mileage.

thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-21-2012
Supreme Member

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tai101 View Post
there is a touareg that im looking at, its 2004 but has a whopping 13700 miles = 220000 kms
13,000 miles isn't too bad

Obviously, we cannot tell you whether that specific Touareg will perform strongly to its death or be a money pit 'til the end. Confidently, I can say buying a high mileage 2004 is only asking for trouble. If you can, get the 2008. There's no change in MPG; if anything, it improved.

Good luck and if you are truly fixated with Touaregs, look for something newer with less miles.

2004 VR6 w/ Air - Retired (Oct. 2007 - June 2015)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 Old 08-21-2012

Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
06 lots of the bugs were worked out by then and the T2 was about finished on the drawing table so reliability is alot better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 08-21-2012 Thread Starter
Touareg Addict

hahah whoops.....meant 137000 miles lol, big difference. yeah i agree that im way better off getting a newer model. like at least 2005 or more. oddly enough 2006 touaregs seem to be kinda rare here. im going to see if i can find a good deal on one in the states and then import it in. kinda nervous about the whole import procedure although my brother has done it successfully before. yeah i think im set on getting at least 2005 (where all the bugs have been worked out) or newer or possibly a 2004 with really low mileage. i'll have to wait and see what happens. oh and "fixated on a touareg" does not even BEGIN to describe my addiction to this beautiful suv. its even nicer than the porsche cayenne IMHO.
thanks for your help guys
post #5 of 29 Old 08-21-2012
Supreme Member

Touareg: 2004 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tai101 View Post
its even nicer than the porsche cayenne IMHO

2004 VR6 w/ Air - Retired (Oct. 2007 - June 2015)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 29 Old 08-21-2012
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I'll be blunt.

This is not a car for a student with limited means to purchase.

Touaregs can be VERY expensive to repair and the higher the mileage the more likely something big may fail.

Your parents clearly have no idea of the potential costs involved.

It is totally unrealistic to talk of swapping different engines - you obviously do not understand the complexity of these cars.

Okay, so I've rained all over your parade. I'm sorry, but you need a common sense check here. Go and find a car you can actually afford to run and then, when you are earning some good money, have another look at the Touareg.
post #7 of 29 Old 08-21-2012
The Moderator!

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
I don't know, I must be a rare person. I like the Cayennes as much as the Touaregs. I can't for the life of me though understand those grab handles on the earlier ones on the center console. Never made sense to me. I am not sure if that continued on the newer ones or not, but I did not like that about the interior of the Cayenne.

2010 Alaska Grey/Anthracite V6 TDI- Lux,Tech, Air and Hitch

04 Offroad Grey V6, gone, but will never be forgotten.
post #8 of 29 Old 08-21-2012
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Yes, I like the Cayenne. [Well someone has to!]
post #9 of 29 Old 08-21-2012 Thread Starter
Touareg Addict

hahah LOtouareg i feel the love. i dont think the cayenne is ugly at all (well maybe a little).....but i think the design is a bit too radical for me but then again that is porsche design. i really dont like the front of the porsche at all. the rest of it is not bad at all. noobytoogy i can totally see where you coming from and honestly i appreciate you being blunt with me. i want someone who has a touareg to be straight up and honest with me about costs and such. the only thing here is that im mostly questioning the reliability of the touareg. the only reason funds are limited is because its my first car and im not going to go out and buy a 20000+ car for a first car(i think most of us can agree that a first car is meant to be a training car) but with that being said i totally understand that the cost of repairing a touareg is not something to be taken lightly either. my dad has had and has been fixing many many cars over the years so by saying my parents have no idea about the costs involved is a little insulting. also where does common sense come into play here? if i go out and ring someones doorbell and ask them about the maintnance costs of a touareg they will know? like i said before i do appreciate someone being blunt but there are other ways of being blunt if you know what i mean. i totally agree yeti, a couple days ago i was sitting in my cousins cayenne and i spent 10 minutes trying to understand what the heck they were. and i wasnt impressed by the interior at all.
post #10 of 29 Old 08-21-2012 Thread Starter
Touareg Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhoenx View Post
If someone can take a cayenne and put a touareg interior in it.... THAT would be cool?
i dont know about that man. i love the touareg exterior and interior but i can agree that the cayenne could use a couple pointers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode