AWD modification. - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 42 Old 02-23-2015 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
AWD modification.

Does anyone know if you can revert the AWD transfer case back to Porsche specs? I read somewhere that the touareg and the cayenne have the same 4wd system but the vw and Audi have software on them to run at a 50/50 split. I'd like a way to go to 70/30 like the Porsche has. The transfecase is set mechanically to be 70/30 split but somehow the computer forces a 50/50 split. The reason I would like to do this is because I drive a rear wheel drive car in the summer (Porsche 951) and I am used to the rear coming out and not pushing like the touareg does in the snow. A bit of a tail out condition is controllable but i hate understeer. Thank you for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 02-23-2015
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2005 R5 TDI
The torque vectoring is mechanical. You can not change it unless you change the internals of the transfer case.

The touareg is not a sportcar. Its handling is outstanding for a SUV. If you want more sportiness, sell it and buy a cayenne.

All vw/audi engines must use 507.00 spec oil except non-DPF R5/V10 engines that must use 505.01/506.01
93 Pajero GLS 3.0 V6 LWB - SOLD
2001 Gen3 Di-D LWB - SOLD
2005 Touareg 2.5 TDi Air & Bi-Xenon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 42 Old 02-23-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I am pretty (very) shure that the latest generation Torsen quattro systems have a 40/60 (front/rear) power distribution on all VW and Audi models (with an exception for the R8 which I believe is 20/80). And I also think that goes for the Cayenne, but I might be mistaken there.

For the first generations of Torsen Quattro there might have been a 50/50 split, but that was many years ago (sometimes in the 1990's).

2012 3.0 TDI 245hp, R-line, Nappa leather pack, Air suspension sport pack, Driver assistant pack (adaptive cruise control with "stop and go", Front Assist, Lane assist, Side Assist and Parking sensors front and rear), RNS850, Dynaudio, Pano roof, El. tailgate, Area View, Comfort seats, Memory pack, Aux heater, Keyless Go, Heated leather multifunction steering wheel, Adaptive Bi-Xenon front lights with LED, LED rear lights, Dynamic light assistant, Winter pack, El. Retractable Towbar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 02-23-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne S View Post
I am pretty (very) shure that the latest generation Torsen quattro systems have a 40/60 (front/rear) power distribution on all VW and Audi models (with an exception for the R8 which I believe is 20/80). And I also think that goes for the Cayenne, but I might be mistaken there. For the first generations of Torsen Quattro there might have been a 50/50 split, but that was many years ago (sometimes in the 1990's).
Correct. All (Q / Tou / Cay) are 60/40 rear bias.

2013 Touareg 150TDI, White with corn silk beige interior and hole in roof.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 42 Old 02-23-2015 Thread Starter

Ok, 40/60 split. But I found somewhere that when they were making the three (q7, touareg, cayanne) that vw and Audi demanded a 50/50 split and Porsche wanted a 40/60 split. They compromised with the ptm controlling the center diff electronically. But now I can't find it.
post #6 of 42 Old 02-23-2015
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
You might be able to dial out at least some of the understeer by having lower pressures in the rear tires than those in the front.

I'd suggest 4PSI difference would be a starting point but don't go at it like a bull in a china shop - you want progressive oversteer not a sudden snap! - so a little trial and hopefully no error!

So to start I'd leave the fronts as is and reduce the rears to the same pressure and see what you think.

Then up the front 1PSI and drop the rears 1 PSI and try again.

I think if you get to 8PSI difference and it's not happening for you, stop, reset the tires to standard pressures and revert to your plan A.

Oh, and if you kill yourself and/or anyone else you and/or your executors are on your/their own!!
post #7 of 42 Old 02-23-2015 Thread Starter

I'll try that. I know its not a sports car but in the snow I'd rather have it oversteer than under steer. Easier to control.
post #8 of 42 Old 02-23-2015
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
I'm talking road manners not snow manners!

What tires are on the car?

Are you using Tiptronic to take control of the car?
post #9 of 42 Old 02-23-2015 Thread Starter

Bridgestone blizzaks and using just the normal drive selection. I find I can rotate it in the snow if I get on it hard but driving normal it'll push in corners a lot.
post #10 of 42 Old 02-23-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
as noobytoogy pointed out, try reducing the rear tire pressures. it works for me, and it smooths out the ride a bit too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode