American vs Canadian gasoline ????? - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 20 Old 10-15-2016 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2016 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
American vs Canadian gasoline ?????

Curious observation that I cannot support searching the internet.....

I'm driving a 2016 3.6 V6, the owners manual and sticker inside of the gas door recommends regular gas. I generally use Shell in Canada, but I have used another Top Tier brand when a Shell station isn't handy.

Daily commutes to work I get 10.3 L per 100Kms, its been consistently averaging that since I got the vehicle in July.

Last week, I drove to Buffalo to pick up my daughter and filled up with some brand I never heard of, I was in a hurry and didn't feel like driving around to find another station. On the trip home (4 hour drive), I noticed that my mileage was less on the return trip. I chalked that up to using a non Top Tier fuel.

A few days later I returned her to Buffalo and filled up at a Sunoco Station in Buffalo, I was below 1/4 tank. Sunoco I believe is a Top Tier. There was no improvement in Mileage.

This week, my daily commutes have been as low as 10.8 and as high as 11.3L per 100Kms. Roughly using 0.5L per 100Kms more than normal. The temperatures have remained mild and I am not aware of any other influences that could affect the mileage.

My only assumption, is besides ethanol which is up to 10% in regular gas in Canada, what else is in US gas that could affect mileage?

I'm going to run this tank down before putting in fresh fuel. I'm really curious if my mileage will improve.

Is anyone aware of a difference? I did find this one article, but it really doesn't tell much

Is Canadian gas better than American gas? - The Globe and Mail

thanks
brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-21-2016 Thread Starter

Finally filled up, I let the tank go down to 1/8. When I calculated my mileage it was 11.5L/100Kms; combined city and mostly highway with speeds averaging 90~95Kph.

My previous calculation was done on Sept 26th, all Cdn fuel and similar driving, it was 10.7L/100Kms.

I'll see how my average is according to the display driving to work next week.

brian
post #3 of 20 Old 10-21-2016
Touareg Addict

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Are you using 87 octane regular in all cases? Have you tried filling with 92+ octane premium to see what happens?

Canada uses 10% ethanol too? My condolences. :-/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 10-22-2016

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
My understanding is that Canada and the US calculate octane in fuel differently and that the regular grade in the US has less octane. I believe that you need a midgrade in the US to provide the same mileage. The good news is the cost for midgrade should still be less than what we pay north of the border.

Mike

Newmarketca
2014 Touareg Execline R-Line - TDI /White/Black interior
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
post #5 of 20 Old 10-22-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Sad the canadians got hoodwinked into believing the garbage about Ethanol. Farm lobby does a great job,NOT. Any scientist will tell you the heat power of alcohol is more 10% less efficient that real gas. You can tell I hate it,I do own a number of boats that also hate it.
post #6 of 20 Old 10-22-2016
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmarketca View Post
My understanding is that Canada and the US calculate octane in fuel differently and that the regular grade in the US has less octane. I believe that you need a midgrade in the US to provide the same mileage. The good news is the cost for midgrade should still be less than what we pay north of the border.

Mike
I'm not sure how the US vs Maple Leaf definitions of octane might differ. From an engineering point of view, octane is a measure of the anti-knock resistance of the fuel as compared to 100% octane (a specific hydrocarbon chemical) in a standard test engine. More resistance to knock [pre ignition] results in a higher number. ie, the timing of the standard engine can be advanced just so far when running 100% octane. That number defines 100 octane. The test fuel is run and if the timing can be advanced less before the engine knocks it is lower octane.
That test is not specific or unique to a country or continent. It can be repeated anywhere.

2008 M-B GL 320 CDI (wifes), 2000 Golf GL TDI (sold), 2004 Touareg V10 TDI (acquired 2/2011), 1984 Mitsubishi 4WD Pick Up turbodiesel (beater truck), location - SW Washington St, USA
post #7 of 20 Old 10-23-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon TDI View Post
Are you using 87 octane regular in all cases? Have you tried filling with 92+ octane premium to see what happens?

Canada uses 10% ethanol too? My condolences. :-/

Consistently used 87 octane as that is what is recommended by VW. I did do one tank of Shell 91 V Power back in the summer as Shell had a promo going. I didn't notice any performance improvement and no change in mpg.

Shell 91 is one of the few gases in Canada that does not contain ethanol. Shell regular 87 adds up to 10% ethanol.
post #8 of 20 Old 10-23-2016 Thread Starter

Another fill up last night as I had to make a run to the city. 2 hrs highway both ways averaging 90~95 Kph, with about 1 hr of city driving.

Filling up at home I calculated 10.6L/100Kms, the dash showed 9.8L/100Kms between refuels. This fill and the previous I stopped filling after the first click of the pump. I now know that the vehicle calculates 8% better mileage than actual.

I'll see what driving to work shows this week
post #9 of 20 Old 10-24-2016

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Using a higher octane than the manufacturer specifies is a waste of money. There is very little gain as the vehicle is already designed for that octane. However, on the flip side, using a lower octane than specified is not good even though the engine retards to timing to accommodate. You should always use the specified octane rating for your vehicle.
post #10 of 20 Old 10-24-2016 Thread Starter

Todays drive to work showed 10.5L/100Kms both ways. This was in cooler temperatures, it was 8C in the morning and all 4 tires showed 3 psi below normal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode