5.2 V10 Swap - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums

post #11 of 22 Old 04-06-2015
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by fission2 View Post
Winner gets a new prop shaft bearing? Just felt that famous thump yesterday haha
Don't forget your prop shaft is shorter than other Touaregs if you go for a replacement shaft!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 04-06-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: Still looking
A+ for excellent formatting on the first post
post #13 of 22 Old 04-06-2015
Administrator

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Rule of thumb is don't build what you can buy. In this case you certainly can't buy it and it sure would be sexy as hell to have a Lamborghini/R8/S6/S8 V10 under the hood.

Obviously the gasoline powered 5.2 normally aspirated V10 found in the aforementioned vehicles has nothing at all in common with the 5.0 V10 twin turbo TDI.

Plug and play would be a stretch...There will very likely be some serious work involved. That said you'd end up with an exceptionally unique vehicle.

If it was my dime however, I'd go with a W12 swap. Rationale is that it absolutely fits, parts diagrams exist for this exact configuration, parts themselves can be ordered through a VW dealer, there isn't any engineering involved. If you want to talk plug and play, this would be as close as you can get for an engine swap. IMO the W12 sound trumps the 5.2 V10 sound....and the W12 resides in the Bentley . If you're feeling ambitious, go with the twin turbo W12 out of a Continental. If you want something less insane, get the normally aspirated W12 out of an A8 or Phaeton.

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 Old 04-06-2015

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: is jealous
my head hurts just trying to imagine the wiring problems that you would have to deal with.
post #15 of 22 Old 04-06-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2005 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Personal choice stay away from the tubbies go for the W12 NA. Fewer problems and the cheaper option. Assuming you can get a W12 and gearbox for the right price, but as I was crucified because I want to re map my V10, why, the gearbox wont take it, I am a wanker and whatever else you would like to call me, then the answer is why?

If it comes down to sound, just put a straight through exhaust. with a solenoid switch to route the exhaust either straight through or via the Mufflers. Many old rodders did that as a simple way of switching from street to track.

Just an Old Fart Kneeling in the last box already
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 T1, V10.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Toyota Supra MK3

Honda Goldwing GL1000 (Naked)
post #16 of 22 Old 04-06-2015
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V8
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ians touareg View Post
Personal choice stay away from the tubbies go for the W12 NA. Fewer problems and the cheaper option. Assuming you can get a W12 and gearbox for the right price, but as I was crucified because I want to re map my V10, why, the gearbox wont take it, I am a wanker and whatever else you would like to call me, then the answer is why? If it comes down to sound, just put a straight through exhaust. with a solenoid switch to route the exhaust either straight through or via the Mufflers. Many old rodders did that as a simple way of switching from street to track.
Shouldn't need a new gearbox. The same gearbox in the R50 handles 627 ft. lb. of torque just fine.

----------------------------
2008 V8 CAMPANELLA WHITE, KESSY
NAV, 4 ZONE CLIMATE, DYNAUDIO, BI-XENON
LEISTUNG CUSTOM EXHAUST AND CAT BYPASS
MALONE TUNE, CAYENNE GTS SWAY BARS
2016 AUDI A3 S-LINE
2015 Q5 PREMIUM PLUS
post #17 of 22 Old 04-06-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry01 View Post
Shouldn't need a new gearbox. The same gearbox in the R50 handles 627 ft. lb. of torque just fine.
Thank you. I will get it done though, modest increase in BHP and a good increase in torque too.

2005 T1, V10.

Toyota Supra MK3

post #18 of 22 Old 04-08-2015
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2005 R5 TDI

All vw/audi engines must use 507.00 spec oil except non-DPF R5/V10 engines that must use 505.01/506.01
93 Pajero GLS 3.0 V6 LWB - SOLD
2001 Gen3 Di-D LWB - SOLD
2005 Touareg 2.5 TDi Air & Bi-Xenon
post #19 of 22 Old 04-08-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

I love the way the turbos are placed, how have he done that ? if he can do that on a W12 then we can do it on a V10 (secretly I am thinking that the W12 is shorter engine by probably two pistons length). I think it is just a little longer than the V6 engine.

2005 T1, V10.

Toyota Supra MK3

post #20 of 22 Old 04-08-2015
Administrator

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
I think you are correct...the W12 is based on two VR6s (hence the W). The 5.2 V10 is based on two of the 2.5L inline 5s.

I'm not sure if the VR6 is shorter than an inline 5...but the original purpose of the VR6 was to fit a 6 cyl in the length of a 4 cyl engine compartment...back the the 2.8L VR6 days

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode