4.2 Touareg Stuck in 3rd Gear- Please Help - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 04Treg42

post #1 of 6 Old 11-13-2017 Thread Starter

4.2 Touareg Stuck in 3rd Gear- Please Help

Good afternoon,
I saw the post from years ago about this, but I didn't want to post in that thread for obvious reasons.
I bought a 2004 Touareg about a half a year ago, and I love it very much, but this morning on the way into work it downshifted into third and would not come out, even via tiptronic. My gear display on the dash has all of the gears highlighted, and even after trying to do the "pedal reset" I've experienced no fixes, temporary or permanent.
That being said, my vehicle is an 04 with 161k on the dash- so it's been around the block a few times. It has a history of hard UPshifts only, mainly between second up to third, where it hesitates and revs as it finds the next gear, then "bangs in" fairly violently. I've read on the forums that using tiptronic can bypass this issue, and from what I've noticed, it's worked. **This I am sure is the valve body, which I will have to replace soon**
But the 3rd gear Limp Mode issue I am having right now seems to be electrical (I've heard about the T14 transmission harness). I haven't plugged it into the VAG COM yet, as I don't have one, but I plan to soon.

My question- has anyone had this issue, and how did you go about fixing it? I am not planning on taking it to the dealership, as I am pretty handy, just new to this car. I'd like to inspect my trans harness, and I've looked online, but I can't find any info on where it is located on the trans, or the specific plug that branches out that I'm looking for. It's getting cold in Detroit, so I'd like to get all my eggs in one basket before I crawl under the car in my driveway. Any and all links, photos, advice, information, comments and criticism is welcomed.
cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-13-2017 Thread Starter

**UPDATE**

Hopefully this can help someone with verifying my hunch... So I hooked it up to my OBD2 (I'm getting the VAGCOM tomorrow, anyone have any tips?), and my OBD2 gave me the P0753 code for "Shift Solonoid A Electrical". I did a ton of research on this, it looks like a lot of things point to the T14e harness connection for the trans? Some people on this forum have replaced their whole valve body and the problem still exist because it's just the connection. Being a cheaper DIY than the valve body, I think this is the route I will go first, but if anyone has experience with this I would love to hear about it before I take the wire cutters to my harness.

Thank you again
post #3 of 6 Old 11-16-2017 Thread Starter

Good Evening all,

So I bought the new Transmission harness, got under my car and found out the old t14e plug was just slightly pulled out of the housing. I plugged it back in, used the vagcom to delete the trans codes, and did the pedal reset on the TCM. Turned it on and had all of my gears back. I returned the trans harness I bought and got my $127 back. I hope this can help somebody who has the same problem at some point. Only tools I used were my laptop and a six pack of High Life. Happy wrenching.

Cheers
Chris Anderson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-16-2017
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Awesome job replying to your own posts AND more importantly solving the problem and reporting the solution!!

Good to know!

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-17-2017
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Nice outcome!

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #6 of 6 Old 11-17-2017

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2004 V10 TDI
If only they were all this simple! Good to see a positive outcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode