2017 gas Touareg Normal start/number of cranks? - Club Touareg Forums
 3Likes

post #1 of 11 Old 03-28-2018 Thread Starter

2017 gas Touareg Normal start/number of cranks?

Hey all, I have a new 2017 Touareg gas V6 FSI. I was just wondering what a "normal start" (number of cranks) should be with this car from everyone else's experience with their own Touaregs. How many times should a 2014-2017 v6 gas Touareg in good condition crank before turning on? Its been inconsistent for the last 6 months I've had it...sometimes it starts immediately after pushing the start button, and other times it cranks 5-6 times before turning on. No difference when using the key. Everything is new and i got it with 40 miles (7k now) so I can't believe its faulty fuel pump/check valve. Im just worried its hurting the engine the more times it empty-cranks before turning on, vs. the expected/healthy 1-2 cranks before ignition. I absolutely LOVE this car and want to see it go for a long time. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170531_161759.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1,022.7 KB
ID:	210673   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170510_185551.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	210681  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-28-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
Garage
Been driving the 3.6 VR6 FSI for many years (my 2007 is the first year this engine was offered in the Treg). IMHO what you are experiencing is NOT normal. Make a dealer appointment and see what is going on. My Treg has started every time (since I purchased it used in 2009) almost every time within one to two seconds max.

When it is below zero and the truck has been parked a few days it will take a second longer to start.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-29-2018

Touareg: 2013 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjahanmi View Post
Hey all, I have a new 2017 Touareg gas V6 FSI. I was just wondering what a "normal start" (number of cranks) should be with this car from everyone else's experience with their own Touaregs. How many times should a 2014-2017 v6 gas Touareg in good condition crank before turning on? Its been inconsistent for the last 6 months I've had it...sometimes it starts immediately after pushing the start button, and other times it cranks 5-6 times before turning on. No difference when using the key. Everything is new and i got it with 40 miles (7k now) so I can't believe its faulty fuel pump/check valve. Im just worried its hurting the engine the more times it empty-cranks before turning on, vs. the expected/healthy 1-2 cranks before ignition. I absolutely LOVE this car and want to see it go for a long time. Any thoughts?

I posted this same question a few months ago. I purchased mine used and the previous owner had never driven the vehicle in winter conditions since he drove to Florida every year and was stored in a heated garage when not in use.

It is a 2013 Exec v6 gas currently in storage for the winter. I go out to start it every few weeks or so and will crank until the fuel gets to the engine. If it's already warm or has been driven that day, I have no problems. When it sits for an extended period of time it will crank for several seconds before starting. Not sure what is going on or why. Never had a FI vehicle that did this before. My guess would be the fuel pump or pumps. I can hear it kick in when I open the door, so I know it's working. maybe I just need to drive it again and all will be fine.

Please report back with your findings after talking to the dealer. Very interested to hear what they say.

2013 VW Touareg Exec V6, Black/Black Int, 21" Mallory Wheels.
2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus, Black/Black Sport Int
2007 GMC Acadia SLT2, Metallic Brown/Brick Int

Sold:
2013 Buick Enclave Premium, Opel White/Black Int
2006 Mini Cooper S Convertible
2001.5 VW Passat GLX 4Motion
The Following User Says Thank You to touareg4 For This Useful Post:
sjahanmi (04-01-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-29-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
Every Touareg I have been in starts really fast. TDI, Gas, V6, V8, V10, it does not matter. I would agree that this does not seem normal.

Since it is a 2017, let the dealer have a shot at fixing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickyt For This Useful Post:
sjahanmi (04-01-2018)
post #5 of 11 Old 03-31-2018 Thread Starter

My main observation is that it has been inconsistent and not relating to the weather or if it's has been driven that day with frequent stops and starts like picking up the kids, going to the grocery store, stuff like that. Sometimes the engine starts with one crank immediately after pushing the start button or turning the key and other times I can hear 5 or 6 cranks before it turns on. Now, the engine always turns on, it's just a matter of why does it turn on sometimes with just one crank and other times with 5 or 6 cranks? That's the mystery. The dealer ran a diagnostic and said there are no error codes stored on the computer and it's better to wait to check the fuel pump until my first service (1 year oil change) which will be later in May. I just want to know if this is common and normal or else it must be the problem with my fuel pump/check valve.

Now here is something interesting. The tech said not to worry about extra cranks hurting the engine because the oil pump is still lubricating the pistons and everything else while it's cranking and on a theoretical level, it's actually better for the engine to be lubed up buy 1-2 extra cranks before igniting rather than firing up on the very first crank so there you have it lol

My Touareg photo collection:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My first car was a beat up VW Jetta. My father bought it for me in high school. I had to start it with a screw driver. My last car is a 2017 Wolfsburg V6 Touareg. I love it! Most beautiful designed car.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-31-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
Sigh...

I wonder if they think it is better for the battery also. Since, "you know" you are exercising the battery extra every time you start. And don't forget about cleaning the rust off of the starter motor. The starter will last longer also.

If it is under warranty, I would want it fixed. Period.
sjahanmi likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickyt For This Useful Post:
sjahanmi (04-01-2018)
post #7 of 11 Old 04-01-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2005 V6
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjahanmi View Post
My main observation is that it has been inconsistent and not relating to the weather or if it's has been driven that day with frequent stops and starts like picking up the kids, going to the grocery store, stuff like that. Sometimes the engine starts with one crank immediately after pushing the start button or turning the key and other times I can hear 5 or 6 cranks before it turns on. Now, the engine always turns on, it's just a matter of why does it turn on sometimes with just one crank and other times with 5 or 6 cranks? That's the mystery. The dealer ran a diagnostic and said there are no error codes stored on the computer and it's better to wait to check the fuel pump until my first service (1 year oil change) which will be later in May. I just want to know if this is common and normal or else it must be the problem with my fuel pump/check valve.

Now here is something interesting. The tech said not to worry about extra cranks hurting the engine because the oil pump is still lubricating the pistons and everything else while it's cranking and on a theoretical level, it's actually better for the engine to be lubed up buy 1-2 extra cranks before igniting rather than firing up on the very first crank so there you have it lol
Hard cranking can be a sign of a failing camshaft position sensor. Sometimes the sensor gets odd when hot. For example on a drive to the store you go in come back out and car might be hard to crank. probably not enough of an issue to trigger a camshaft position check engine light error, but dodgy enough to sometimes cause hard cranking. The camshaft sensors along with the crankshaft sensor tell your ECU which cylinders are at top dead center fires that cylinder first which is why the car normally starts quickly. With a dodgy sensor it takes a few more cranks to start. One thing for certain the condition will get progressively worse if the sensor is an issue, then it will fail and take a lot longer to start the car.
sjahanmi likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to G6mdxvct For This Useful Post:
sjahanmi (04-01-2018)
post #8 of 11 Old 04-01-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6mdxvct View Post
Hard cranking can be a sign of a failing camshaft position sensor. Sometimes the sensor gets odd when hot. For example on a drive to the store you go in come back out and car might be hard to crank. probably not enough of an issue to trigger a camshaft position check engine light error, but dodgy enough to sometimes cause hard cranking. The camshaft sensors along with the crankshaft sensor tell your ECU which cylinders are at top dead center fires that cylinder first which is why the car normally starts quickly. With a dodgy sensor it takes a few more cranks to start. One thing for certain the condition will get progressively worse if the sensor is an issue, then it will fail and take a lot longer to start the car.
Yeah, the ECU will pull data from the Crank position sensor if the cam sensor reading is not available. This would then cause the starter to rotate the engine fly wheel around until the sensor can get a reading...because the fly wheel is much larger than the cam, the starter will have to turn over the engine longer. So this would match what the OP is experiencing.

Also, when you open your door is there a buzzing sound from the fuel pump priming? Anytime the truck sits and you return and open the drivers door, the fuel pump will be primed. You can also do this manually I believe by turning ignition to on, but with your foot off the brake...then place your foot on the brake and try an start.

The pump not priming can be also driven by a faulty door switch not reporting the opening of the door.
sjahanmi likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spiegelglatt For This Useful Post:
sjahanmi (04-01-2018)
post #9 of 11 Old 04-01-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks for this! I'll have to ask the dealer to check the camshaft/crankshaft sensors. Def would have not thought of that.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-01-2018 Thread Starter

So im going to have the dealer check 3 things: camshaft/crankshaft sensors and door switch since it may not be priming the fuel pump. What are the chances its the fuel pump/check valve itself its faulty? I do here buzzing under the hood when i open the door. One other thing now that you guys mention it is that i do think it cranks more times when its been siting for more than say 4 hours. If i go to the store to get milk and come back, it starts right away after 1 crank....but over night, it could take 5-6 cranks i think for the engine to start...would that mean its more of a camshaft/crankshaft sensor issue or fuel pump/check value issue? Do empty cranks hurt the engine? Should I be worried about that? does it hurt the engine if it starts after 5-6 cranks vs. 1 crank?

My Touareg photo collection:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My first car was a beat up VW Jetta. My father bought it for me in high school. I had to start it with a screw driver. My last car is a 2017 Wolfsburg V6 Touareg. I love it! Most beautiful designed car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode