2006 V8 Touareg Transmission Problem. - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 20 Old 03-22-2012 Thread Starter

2006 V8 Touareg Transmission Problem.

Hello all,
I also have been through the mill on the hard down shift from 5th to 4th gear issue. A few times when hitting the resume for the cruise it felt like someone rear-ended us. Well to make a short story out of this. I took my Touareg to the VW dealership in Rochester MN. and after 2 weeks of going back and forth between my extended warranty company they decided to replace the transmission. I was driving home and the hard down shift from 5th to 4th gear was still there! It happened 3 times in just 3 miles, it also appeared the shifting didn't match the #'s shown as crisp as it should be. I called the dealership and broke the happy news to them. I'm taking the Touareg back in the shop the first part of April 2012. Does anyone have ant suggestions? Do you think the new transmission is also a lemon?? I have 78k miles, 2006 V8 Touareg, I bought it as a Certified VW vehilcle 3/2008 with 53K on it, at this point I feel VW should have a money back program with all these issues that I have been reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-22-2012
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
The normal fix for this is to drain the geearbox, replace the valve chest and refill.

Not a long job.

Did they really replace the whole gearbox?
post #3 of 20 Old 03-22-2012
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Send a message via Skype™ to dvmis
Agree. I had valve body replaced and ll is fine. No new transmission needed. Extended warranty guys know that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 03-22-2012 Thread Starter

Thanks for your input, I was so upset when driving home, I WAS READY TO DUMP THIS RIG, but it has been such a cool vehicle until this problem showed up. The rep. and my repair slip indicated they replaced the transmission. So the valve body/valve chest is separate from the transmission? Here is the reply I got from the General Mgr. of the Dealership: I am sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing with your Touareg. I will follow up with Kevin and stay involved with him. If I need to I will also have a VW Engineer come in. We will fix the issue for you. I really want to regain your confidence in a German vehicle. I am sorry that we were unable to resolve the issue the last time you were in.
post #5 of 20 Old 03-22-2012

Second Vehicle: too many to list
Definitely the valve body, although I'm not surprised to hear they changed the transmission, as others have reported that their extended warranty company did the same as well. Talk about wasted money on their part for nothing. They are all idiots, all of them, but that is besides the point.

I too am curious why it is still exhibiting defective valve body symptoms, when everything should be brand new again.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #6 of 20 Old 03-22-2012
Touareg Guru

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW Touareg Hunting View Post
So the valve body/valve chest is separate from the transmission? .
No, far from it. The valve chest is inside the automatic gearbox so if they replaced the gearbox with a new one, then there should be a brand new valve chest inside it which is why it is puzzling that you still have the hard 5th to 4th change.

As we have said, the normal VW dealer repair for this well known fault is to drain the gearbox, take out the old valve chest and replace it with a new one before refillling the gearbox with new ATF fluid.

When your dealer is talking about replacing the transmission I cannot help but wonder if they have changed something else such as the stepper motor as my definition of the word "transmission" would include gearbox, drive shafts, stepper motor, differentials and axles but I'm English and the American definition differs as Wikipedia points out below in the second paragraph!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_(mechanics)

So you need to check with your dealer exactly which part of the car they replaced.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-22-2012 Thread Starter

It had to be the transmission, according to the repair tag, it was listed as a itemized statement and the entire bill was $8500. Unless there are so many defective valve bodies the new one was another lemon. You would think by this being a 2006 they would have had updated parts to correct the engineering mistakes.
post #8 of 20 Old 03-22-2012

Second Vehicle: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW Touareg Hunting View Post
Unless there are so many defective valve bodies the new one was another lemon.....
I thought of this before, but decided to not go there .

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #9 of 20 Old 03-28-2012 Thread Starter

Interesting:
Today I went with my daughter to drop off her Jeep at a Chrysler dealer and just for the heck of it I asked one of the dealer managers about Touareg's in general. The subject came up about transmission issues, and his comment was that they had 3 Touareg's traded in from 2005-2007 that had the same problem as mine and their dealership took them to the auction. He indicated that they are a very nice vehicles but plastic parts were used in the valve bodies of these years and to make sure a "updated" valve body transmission was going to be installed. Not sure if this was a true FACT or just a line...anyone know if this is a true fact?
post #10 of 20 Old 03-28-2012
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode