2006 3.2L V6 Gas Problems - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 30 Old 02-24-2018 Thread Starter

2006 3.2L V6 Gas Problems

First post here, owner of a 2002 Jetta TDI 5 speed that I've been working on myself for a while, I'm happy with where's it at currently and a few days purchased a 2006 3.2L V6 gas Touareg to add to the collection. Here's all the important stuff:
  • Test drove the truck about a week ago, it had been sitting for 6 months or so as it was being sold by someone for a relative (red flag no1?) the test drive was fine, I didn't hear any timing rattling. The car had some CELs for misfires (I brought my vag cable) seller said the old battery went bad/dead and it had all kinds of dash lights on, he replaced the battery. I cleared the CELs before test driving and they didn't come back and there were no engine troubles/noises etc.
  • Purchased the Treg two days ago, when I first picked it up from the parking lot it was dropped off at it had a rough start and idle for about 30 seconds and then it cleared up. Drove it around on this 1/4 tank of 6 month old fuel I guess with no issues after that. Car started, drove, shifted just fine.
  • I had it at home today and was doing some more inspecting under the hood. I cleaned up the PCV valve and where it connects into the intake as it had some oil residue - bad PCV?
  • I was checking the codes again and it had some more misfire codes, I shut the car off to read the airbag code (as instructed by vagcom) and upon restarting the vehicle it wanted to stall out and was bucking around 500 RPMs. It then started to read codes p0016 plus all of the misfire codes. I'm now not able to start the car without a bit of extended cranking and gas pedal.

At this point, thinking it could be bad fuel and now bad fuel filters due to contamination? I've also read that a bad PCV can cause bucking and similar issues. I've put a can of sea foam in the tank with no change.

Thinking either limp to the gas station to top the tank off with fresh fuel, or fill up a bunch of jerry cans to dilute whatever is in there, maybe replace fuel filters, also inspect and clean the cam sensors in case that's the issue?

Any help, ideas, brainstorming would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 02-24-2018
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Put a fresh tank of gas in it ASAP!

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 Old 02-24-2018
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Modern fuel injection doesn't like old gas!

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 02-24-2018 Thread Starter

Will do. Is it that much worse to top it off or should I attempt to pump or drain the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJ Guy View Post
Modern fuel injection doesn't like old gas!
post #5 of 30 Old 02-25-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
A new PCV is cheap enough and easy to fit but do buy VW and not aftermarket as they seem to fail quickly.

Fresh fuel and then take the car for a hard 50 mile thrash using Tiptronic to hold the revs for an Italian tune up.

Then see what the issues are.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #6 of 30 Old 02-25-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2008 V6
Sort of sounds like coil pack issues too. If the fuel doesn't clear it up, check the coil packs.

Current:
2014 TDI Exec - White w/ Cornsilk

Gone to a great new home:
2008 V6 Cranberry Red - Lux Plus (Leather, Keyless) Tech + Dynaudio, Air, Tow, 4 Zone Climate
post #7 of 30 Old 02-25-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2005 V6
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameoba View Post
Sort of sounds like coil pack issues too. If the fuel doesn't clear it up, check the coil packs.
My bet is camshaft position sensors. Not certain if poor timing can cause a sensor error but pretty certain camshaft position errors will lead to misfire codes. I would replace both sensors on back of the block topside. Held on by one bolt and easy to replace. Have to pretty much lay on top of engine intake. A little mirror will help you see the sensor and bolt I would unscrew pull then undo plug. On the install connect plug then sensor.
post #8 of 30 Old 02-25-2018 Thread Starter

Tank is almost topped off with fresh 91 octane, still about a quarter tank of junk in there. Spark plugs are entirely black, and the air filter is pretty rough so I'm going to replace those and keep topping off the tank while pulling/cleaning the sensors and going from there. Looking at some replacement sensors now but I'd like to get the plugs and filter and gas sorted first to see if it clears up. Seems like it ran a bit better I tried to keep it around 1500 RPMs for 10 minutes or so but it still won't idle on its own without bucking.
post #9 of 30 Old 02-26-2018 Thread Starter

Well I finally got the PCV off, silly me basically broke the thing thinking it was suctioned in by the nipple - just had to pop the tabs in... I'll be getting a new one anyways.

Inspected the coils, the furthest cylinder's coil was basically fused to the spark plug tube, the upper section of the coil broke off leaving the metal tube lodged in there. I figured this was a good time to remove the intake manifold and valve cover to 1. get the coil fully out and 2. inspect the valve train, take a peak around. Took about 6 hours! Fun times working behind that engine... That bracket back there is a racket.

I got the coil pack out, but there is some weird creamy looking oil/sludge all over the timing area and I saw it in the PCV tube, it's also all in the valve cover where the PCV tube enters. Any idea on that? Reading that it's likely condensation, the treg hasn't been driven much for months and it's pretty cold here, the PCV may also not have been operating properly.

Going to be giving it hard runs and changing the oil at a higher frequency if/when I get this thing running again.

I imagine there will also not be a better time to change the cams sensors than this, I can get to them pretty easily - they also look pretty cruddy as I have the valve cover off and can see the magnets.

So I'm thinking... PCV valve, coils, plugs, air filter, I broke some vacuum hose that has a hard section going into a rubber section, to the left of the engine - I'll have to look that up or see if I can rig it together.'

Throw two cam sensors at it, because they seem to go bad and there's never going to be a better time to replace them as I don't plan on having the mani or VC off again...preventative maintenance?

Anything else to do while the valve cover is off?

Oh also taking that coil pack remnant out, sprayed a bunch of corrosion all into the valve train, woo. Definitely some frequent oil changes.

Hoping it doesn't end up as physical timing chain issues after all this jazz.
post #10 of 30 Old 02-26-2018 Thread Starter

pick of the exposed timing with some foam/condensation/sludge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode