2005 v6 with only 13mpg - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 6 Old 07-21-2015 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2005 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
2005 v6 with only 13mpg

This is...pretty darn bad right? Supposed to be in the 17-23 range. At around 104k miles now.

What maintenance issues should I be looking at? Would changing spark plugs have anything to do this? (pardon my ignorance) My dad gave me the vehicle a year ago and seems to think not, even though vw says to change them every 50k miles (he had done it at 60k I believe).

When I am changing the oil over at Firestone, they say "you need a fuel system cleanse" or something like that, but the manual says nothing of this.

Just wanted to gauge on here whether there was anything obvious, lest I drop the $129 diagnosis fee and they say "its all good" or worse, recommend unneeded service, per past experiences with this dealer.

Thanks
--Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-21-2015 Thread Starter

Oh, and btw I use the 87 octane even though the gas door says 91 (my dad said he always just did 87, and 9-10 years in, even if that was a bad call, I'm not sure if doing 91 now would make a difference?).
post #3 of 6 Old 07-21-2015 Thread Starter

Oh, reading around I realize I recently changed the cabin air filter...but not the engine air filter...sounds like another likely thing to look at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-20-2015
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Oh, reading around I realize I recently changed the cabin air filter...but not the engine air filter...sounds like another likely thing to look at.
I would change air filter and pull out the throttle body and clean. Only has 4 bolts to the back of the intake by the PCV. Gunk can restrict airflow of the throttle valve. Just spraying throttle body cleaner into the intake after the MAF won't due. Changing The plugs would be good to. If you take off the TB don't force rotation of the butterfly valve with your hand. It is motor actuated. When you reinstall don't start right away. Put key in ignition to on. The TB will hum. After about 45 seconds you will hear a light clunk. The TB is aligning. Some posts say you need VCDS to do a TB alignment but I have had my TB off a few times and have never aligned without problems.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-20-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Garage
Quote:
Oh, and btw I use the 87 octane even though the gas door says 91 (my dad said he always just did 87, and 9-10 years in, even if that was a bad call, I'm not sure if doing 91 now would make a difference?).
Lower grade fuel will reduce your expected tank range that's for sure, Not sure by how much as I run an oil burner not a petrol treg. I seem to get about 15 % better fuel economy when I use the high octane 98 ron (Australian) fuel

Do you have any Dash indicator / warning lights active that indicate the car has a problem?
post #6 of 6 Old 10-20-2015

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Possibly one issue with poor fuel consumption

ECU could be adding more fuel and retarding timing to stop any knock events

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode