2004 V6 Touareg having issues - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 33 Old 12-30-2015 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
2004 V6 Touareg having issues

Any help would be appreciated!

My Heidi (I always name me cars) was running great as usual today. I stopped for gas and she suddenly had issues. She will start, but idles very rough and within 20 seconds dies. I had a mechanic look at it today. He replaced the fuel filter which was a bit dirty he said. He tested the fuel pumps and they work. He said the only codes he is seeing is the o2 lambda sensors. Problem is I live in a very small town (like 1 red light, no stores, less than 100 people town) so he admitted he really doesn't know anything about VWs and isn't sure about repairing it. So I figured I would see if anyone has any thoughts before I have it took about 2 hours away to the closest dealer and pay more than Heidi is worth I am sure. (shh don't tell her I said that, she is sensitive)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 12-30-2015
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Even an old school mechanic can test the exhaust and see if she's running rich or lean.

And all gas engines work the same way, regardless of heritage. ;- ) Test for fuel, air and spark. You need all three.

O2 sensors don't go out instantly. They usually fail over time. And even if they're unplugged, the engine should still run in some sort of "limp home" mode.

Does stomping on the pedal help it run a little longer? That could be a clue that it is running too rich. Or a host of other things, but it is a clue, at least.

Try finding an independent VW mechanic. That will be loads cheaper than the dealer. I think the dealers see "Touareg" and think all owners must be rich since they own one of these things. LOL!

And see my sig file. Now that I have one, I'm a firm believer that any Touareg owner should have VCDS.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 Old 12-31-2015 Thread Starter

Thank you! I will pass along the information. I don't believe the local guy really wants to work on the VW or he is just trying to fool me since I am a semi-clueless girl. When I first called him yesterday he said he didn't know if he had the tools or testers to connect to a VW. Then he did work on it and told me the info I put up there. But he did call me sweetie, honey, and baby the entire time which is why I decided to post here. He does still have my precious Heidi. I told him that if he doesn't figure it out today, I'll have her took to the dealer. I just figure I might end up paying him more while he is guessing at it. I hate it, but I love my Heidi and am not ready to get another car.

On a side note - I have lurked here a while and I have learned so much. Thanks to this board I have been able to change my oil, change fuses, and I even replaced her clock spring. You guys and gals have make me look impressive! Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 12-31-2015
Touareg Addict

Unless this person knows you (or a family member) personally, he shouldn't be calling you that! Run and get your Touareg out of that idiots hands ASAP.

Evidently, you're not so clueless, after all! Even I had my clock spring (on another VW) changed by my mechanic because I needed the car back quickly and don't like messing with airbags.

If you are comfortable posting your location (region is fine, aka northern Illinois) perhaps someone can direct you to a good VW-friendly mechanic that they have used before. You need to find a mechanic that is not only competent but also respects you.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 33 Old 12-31-2015 Thread Starter

I just left the VW dealership. They are going to fix my girl up. My hubby went and had my girl towed this morning. We didn't even have the guy put back together the things he took apart. I will update when they let me know what the issue is.

As far as the clock spring goes, I am a librarian I am a firm believer if you can read, you can do anything. I followed the directions step by step and had no issues.
post #6 of 33 Old 12-31-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Our V6 displayed similar issues that I chased two new fuel pumps and filters into it and didn't fix.
It ended up being a engine speed sensor that hadn't thrown the check engine light on for.
I found it after scanning it with a real scan tool. My pocket scanner didn't pick up the code which lead me to testing fuel pressure and replacing fuel pumps and filters. Fuel pressure fluctuated because while cranking the pumps were being sporadically cycled when the engine speed sensor was intermittently working.

I recommend your vehicle be scanned with a professional grade scan tool or VCDS and proceed from there.

'04 VW Touareg 3.2
'04 VW Touareg 5.0 V10 -DD
'02 Audi S6 (1 of 8, now 1 of 1 with 6MT!)
'01 Audi S8 5 gang (sold for V10 TDI)
'04 SE7 Discovery -gone
'98 A6 Avant -gone
'95.5 S6 Holset beast -gone fast
'93 S4 -gone
'94 S4 -gone
'87 4KQ20vT 400hp monster -gone so fast
Prov. 3:5-6
post #7 of 33 Old 01-01-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2005 V6
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touaregownergirl View Post
Any help would be appreciated!

My Heidi (I always name me cars) was running great as usual today. I stopped for gas and she suddenly had issues. She will start, but idles very rough and within 20 seconds dies. I had a mechanic look at it today. He replaced the fuel filter which was a bit dirty he said. He tested the fuel pumps and they work. He said the only codes he is seeing is the o2 lambda sensors. Problem is I live in a very small town (like 1 red light, no stores, less than 100 people town) so he admitted he really doesn't know anything about VWs and isn't sure about repairing it. So I figured I would see if anyone has any thoughts before I have it took about 2 hours away to the closest dealer and pay more than Heidi is worth I am sure. (shh don't tell her I said that, she is sensitive)
My bet is the fuel pump that is behind the drivers seat (access underneath rear seat) needs to be replaced. Actually surprised that the mechanic that knows nothing about. VW knew where to find the fuel filter, or that the car has two pumps. A bad or intermittent crankshaft sensor( vw calls speed sensor ) would normally stall the car but not cause a rough idle. It is possible but sounds like a faulty pump providing inadequate flow to the fuel rail during startup hence the rough idle then the stall. After pump behind drivers seat primes the fuel rail it runs the car for about 30 seconds. After that the second pump behind passenger seat runs the car. The pump behind the drivers seat also transfers fuel from the larger side of the tank to the smaller side of the tank as needed. A good dealer should square this away but like all things with the touareg any repair costs will be more than we like.
post #8 of 33 Old 01-04-2016 Thread Starter

I just heard back from the dealer. They are replacing the throttle sensor and a vacuum line. They are not sure if that will fix it completely, because they can't test drive it in its current condition. So far I am looking at $1200. I am hoping that it does fix the problem.
post #9 of 33 Old 01-04-2016
Touareg Addict

For $1200, I hope it's the entire throttle assembly being replaced. Thanks for the update!

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
post #10 of 33 Old 01-04-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2005 V6
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touaregownergirl View Post
I just heard back from the dealer. They are replacing the throttle sensor and a vacuum line. They are not sure if that will fix it completely, because they can't test drive it in its current condition. So far I am looking at $1200. I am hoping that it does fix the problem.
They must be replacing the throttle body connected to the intake manifold as the throttle position sensor is part of the gas pedal which doesn't cost anywhere near $1,200 and can be replaced in 15 minutes. If the throttle body was defective you should have an EPC light on the dash. It usually comes on when you start the car but goes off, however if there is a problem with the two throttle drive angle sensors in the throttle body the Electronic power control (EPC) light will stay on in the dash and car goes into limp mode, well if it will stay running, in your case. Suppose if the throttle control valve (butterfly valve) in the throttle body is not providing proper airflow suppose car could have the symptoms you indicated. The sensors do send a signal to the computer telling it the position of the throttle valve. VW does charge quite a bit for a throttle body but it is pretty easy to remove and replace.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode