07 V8 Touareg Multiple Cylinder Misfires-Help - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 14 Old 11-02-2013 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2007 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
07 V8 Touareg Multiple Cylinder Misfires-Help

So my wife called me the other morning to tell me that as she was leaving our neighborhood, the check engine light came on in our 07 V8 Touareg with 88k miles. She said she didn't pay any attention to it until the engine had a really rough idle at a red light and the check engine light started blinking. It was at that point that I told her to limp it the short distance home and park it. She said that as the RPM's picked up, the engine light would transition from flashing to steadily staying on. As the RPM dropped, it would run rough and flash. Doing some research, it sounded like the ignition coil pack could use replacing, so I ordered a new set seeing as how they would likely need to be replaced eventually anyway.

Fast-Forward to this morning. I replaced the coils and started the engine up. It still has a very rough idle and the check engine light is flashing. I took it for a very short, slow ride and noted that as I accelerated, the check engine light would transition to steadily staying on instead of flashing.

So I again parked it, and borrowed a friends generic code-reader. The code-reader is telling me the following:

- Multiple misfire detected
- Cylinder 1 misfire
- Cylinder 2 misfire
- Cylinder 3 misfire
- Cylinder 4 misfire
It also mentioned "over advanced camshaft timing"

I've checked the coils to insure that they were fully seated and plugged in and they all appeared to be with nothing loose.

Thoughts? I'd really like to get this fixed and hope it's not going to cost the farm to do so.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-02-2013
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Now this is a real long shot but . . .

When the car is warm and idling do the engine revs fluctuate by about 50 or maybe 100 rpm or so?

If you rev the engine when the car is stationary, do the revs come straight back down or do they hover at about 2000 rpm briefly before falling back down?

If these situations apply, it might be a duff PCV.

A duff PCV can throw all sorts of engine and ignition codes, none of which point to the PCV itself!

A really duff PCV can squeal like a stuck pig - there's a small diaphragm which gets a hole in it and the oil vapours running through it make it whistle louder than a hob kettle at full steam!

You can clean the PCV on a V8 if the diaphragm is good, but it's a pull off and replace job that shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to fit a new one - mine cost about US$200 equivalent.

Now bear in mind, this is a long shot please.

post #3 of 14 Old 11-08-2013
psg

Had the same problem, 07 FSI V-8, 214,000 km and full dealer service history, turns out to be a bad timing chain tensioner and a broken chain guide on the drivers side bank. Intake cam out 4 teeth on the timing, hence misfires codes etc. Seems it probably backfired due to FSI issues (another story)hence jumping teeth and broken guide. 55 hours labour and $1000 in parts. Approached VW Canada twice and total silence. I believe the V-8 Audis are having similar problems. Anyone out there care to comment? FSI V-8 owners beware.

Stu

'07 FSI V-8, Air Susp. Nav, Nappa
'06 BMW 530 XiT
'99 Land Rover D2
'04 Z4
'63 Lotus Super 7
'83 GTI (now gone)
Triumph Daytona 955i
Laverda 1200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-28-2013

Second Vehicle: Other
Sounds like a typical case of tensioners and chain finally worn out. I recently did mine,it is an involved job as the engine needs to be removed and stripped down. This is a perfect time to do a de-carb on the intake valves and also replace the oil pressure retention valve that is buried under the intake manifold. I would recommend going to a VW/Audi specific repair facility that is equipped to do this repair as there are some very specific tools needed to set up the timing of the sprockets and gears

07 V8 fsi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

04 V8 (in the build stages for offroading)
05 V8 S4 Avant
02 GTI on steroids (hpde toy)
92 GTI endurance racer
post #5 of 14 Old 11-29-2013
psg

Yes a dealer job I'm afraid, need a twin post hoist and a special scissor jack platform. The entire front suspension/sub frame with engine and trans needs to be lowered from the car before you even start the chains. In my case the chains were OK it's defective/poor quality tensioner, pretty disappointing considering regular dealer service and recommended oils. I had 214,000 km, most of them highway type driving. VW Canada still have not acknowledged my calls to them, I can't even find out if the replacement tensioner is improved. BTW there are 4 tensioner back there, I only replaced the bad one, I may regret that later. The car is worth so little now I don't feel like throwing $ at it. I do love driving it though. How many Km on yours spdfrk?

Stu

'06 BMW 530 XiT
'99 Land Rover D2
'04 Z4
'63 Lotus Super 7
'83 GTI (now gone)
Triumph Daytona 955i
Laverda 1200
post #6 of 14 Old 11-29-2013
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: is jealous
Quote:
Originally Posted by psg View Post
Had the same problem, 07 FSI V-8, 214,000 km and full dealer service history, turns out to be a bad timing chain tensioner and a broken chain guide on the drivers side bank. Intake cam out 4 teeth on the timing, hence misfires codes etc. Seems it probably backfired due to FSI issues (another story)hence jumping teeth and broken guide. 55 hours labour and $1000 in parts. Approached VW Canada twice and total silence. I believe the V-8 Audis are having similar problems. Anyone out there care to comment? FSI V-8 owners beware.

Stu
Its stuff like this that scares the hell out of me, I am going to have my timing belt checked and look for vehicle service records at the dealer and hope my belt has been changed but I hear the belts are much easier to take care of even if they need replacement.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-29-2013
psg

The whole point of chains is that they should last almost indefinitely as they run in a shower of oil, but if you go cheap on the tensioners, what's the point! might as well have stuck with belts.

Stu

'06 BMW 530 XiT
'99 Land Rover D2
'04 Z4
'63 Lotus Super 7
'83 GTI (now gone)
Triumph Daytona 955i
Laverda 1200
post #8 of 14 Old 11-29-2013
Touareg Addict

Second Vehicle: is jealous
Quote:
Originally Posted by psg View Post
The whole point of chains is that they should last almost indefinitely as they run in a shower of oil, but if you go cheap on the tensioners, what's the point! might as well have stuck with belts.

Stu
I absolutely agree, i got into a debate with nooby about this a couple weeks back.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-10-2013

Second Vehicle: Other
When I did mine it had aprox. 90,000 km's on it. I've now got 150 on the clock and it hasnt missed a beat. Ive thrown some $$ at mine over the past year (mostly renewing the front and rear suspension bushings and arms) and it drives like it was brand new.

07 V8 fsi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

04 V8 (in the build stages for offroading)
05 V8 S4 Avant
02 GTI on steroids (hpde toy)
92 GTI endurance racer
post #10 of 14 Old 12-31-2013
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: Still looking
This is a known issue on the chain drive motor. I know of a lot of folks that have unloaded their 4.2 FSI Audi's because of this issue (most notably the B6 S4). It's also why I specifically looked for a 4.2 T1 instead of a T2. Sure it's down 50 HP, but it's damn near bullet proof.

Seems like 120k is when a lot of FSI folks start having tensioner issues - at least on the S4 side. It's not something that fails from improper usage - they just seem to fail.

04 Cayenne Turbo
06 Touareg V8
88 Porsche 911 Coupe
02 Audi S4 Avant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode