'07 V8 oil leak under intake - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 15 Old 10-10-2017 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2007 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
'07 V8 oil leak under intake

My '07 Treg has been leaking oil for the last few months. Took it into the dealer under extended warranty and at first they said it was oil pressure sending unit under the pan, they replaced that, then they replaced the front crank seal, now they are saying it is the vent under the intake and it is a pollution control apparatus which isn't covered under warranty.

What vent would be under the intake? They said it was a 5.5 hour job and would be $900 and some change for parts and labor. I already changed the PCV valve last year, that wasn't under the intake. Any ideas what they may be referencing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-10-2017
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Seems odd that a pollution control device is NOT covered. Usually those are covered LONGER than regular power train items...

Not familiar enough with the non-FSI V8 to ID what's under there. Look at some of the V8 SSPs and maybe they can shed some light on the mystery.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 10-10-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

I could be mistaken but I thought 07 was the first year for FSI V8. If so, it's well documented that the "figure 8" gasket at the base of the oil filter housing tends to leak. There is another O ring under the housing itself that should be replace while in there as well as the "valley pan " gasket.
I've been doing research on this exact issue as my wife and I just purchased an 08 V8 FSI after a long search, we just picked it up Saturday.
If indeed your engine is not an FSI motor, please discard anything I just said. Haha! Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 10-10-2017 Thread Starter

It takes the newer PCV so I am going to say it is the FSI
post #5 of 15 Old 10-10-2017 Thread Starter

The part that they showed me looked more like the oil separator. They showed it as sitting pretty much in the center of the valley under the intake manifold. It is a piece of machined aluminum.

It looks like this photo I found in a brochure about the FSI engine, except the dealer is trying to call it something else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4393.PNG
Views:	91
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	195009  
post #6 of 15 Old 10-10-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

There is a thread here on Club Touareg that'll shed some light. Click on category "Forums" under sub-category "engines and transmissions" and its titled "07 V8 FSI common oil leaks". Read on through and it eventually address's what may be your potential issue.

I would have attached a link, but I don't know how. Lol!
post #7 of 15 Old 10-10-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: 2007 V8
Here is a picture of my 07 V8 FSI intake off to replace Valley pan gasket which is under the metal plate, figure 8 oil filter housing gasket under bottom of double tube, O ring at base of oil filter housing and to decarb ports and tops of valvesClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1389.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	641.9 KB
ID:	195017

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07 V8 FSI, Campanella white, steel suspension(wife's)
07 V8 FSI, Campanella white, Air suspension, hitch, keyless start, center & rear diff locks 265/70R17 M+S (mine)
post #8 of 15 Old 10-10-2017
Touareg Addict

Second Vehicle: Other
D'oh. Forgot some '07s had the FSI engine.

YES! X2 on the figure 8 gasket that goes to the oil filter housing. I replaced mine and it fixed a large part of my oil leak problems. The oil separator can cause leakage problems, too, according to my mechanic.

Even if it is classified as a pollution control part, I don't know why it wouldn't be covered.
:- /

But if it's a 3rd party warranty (not VW extended warranty), who knows....

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-10-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: 2007 V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodColt View Post
The part that they showed me looked more like the oil separator. They showed it as sitting pretty much in the center of the valley under the intake manifold. It is a piece of machined aluminum.

It looks like this photo I found in a brochure about the FSI engine, except the dealer is trying to call it something else.
Oil separator is on top of engine on drivers side right in front of air intake guide and above the valve cover. There is a hose hooked to the bottom of the oil separator that can leak and it runs from separator under intake manifold to the left side of the metal plate where the valley pan gasket goes. In the picture it's the hose crossing over the double tube of the oil filter housing if I remember correctly.

07 V8 FSI, Campanella white, steel suspension(wife's)
07 V8 FSI, Campanella white, Air suspension, hitch, keyless start, center & rear diff locks 265/70R17 M+S (mine)
post #10 of 15 Old 10-11-2017 Thread Starter

I thought for sure i had edited this. The oil separator is a picture of the PCV valve, I just hadn't recognized it. It's really not making sense.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode