07 V8 FSI left valve cover gasket replacement - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 23 Old 09-15-2016 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2007 V8
Second Vehicle: 2007 V8
07 V8 FSI left valve cover gasket replacement

Before buying my 07 V8 FSI I had it checked by VW dealer. One of the problems that was brought to my attention was that the valve cover gaskets were leaking, they quoted the cost to fix at $1292.46. That didn't bother me too much as I figured I could DIY that job. When I started doing the research on gaskets dealer parts informed me that for left side ( driver side ) I had to buy valve cover and gasket as one to the tune of about $650.00. After searching the internet parts outlets and talking to ECS on the phone, they confirmed that the cover and gasket had to be purchased as one, theirs was around $450.00. Went to partsgeek.com and for the 2008 V8 FSI I could buy both right and left gaskets for $45.00 shipped, figuring it is the same engine I ordered them. When I got the left valve cover off and checked the gaskets there was one minor difference. The 07 gasket does not go around the O2 sensor and the 08 does, so I just cut that 1 1/2 inch loop out and it fit perfectly into cover and seals completely. Thought I should pass this info along to all 07 V8 FSI owners

07 V8 FSI, Campanella white, steel suspension(wife's)
07 V8 FSI, Campanella white, Air suspension, hitch, keyless start, center & rear diff locks 265/70R17 M+S (mine)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-16-2016
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
I think it's a temp sensor, but that's not important. :- )

Yes, I did notice that the new gasket was formed differently than the one that was on there, presumably from the factory. I trimmed it with a razor blade so it would fit around the indentations on the valve cover and like yours, it worked perfectly.

Hardest part of the job was removing the air intake box to get to all the bolts, and even that was pretty easy.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old 09-16-2016

Second Vehicle: Still looking
Nice post - I am starting to smell a burning oil smell (very ireggularly) in my cabin from time to time. I think it's time to inspect the valve cover gaskets and replace if necessary. I had to perform this on my 2001 Passat and my 2004 Touareg. Guess the 2008 is telling me it's time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 09-16-2016 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

FSJ Guy you're right about the temp sensor and I knew I had made that mistake but figured I'd let it ride. For me the hardest part was unplugging the little clip below the power rail for the coils.

Cory0550 the 07 bar engine is the only one that you can't buy a left gasket for. I don't about the AXQ engine but for the BAR
Engine it wasn't that difficult of a job.

I'm pretty happy to have fixed both leaky gaskets ( spark plugs had oil almost to the top of the plugs) and put new spark plugs in. Previous owner had wrong coolant and I've flushed that out, New serpentine belt and new hood struts. Next oil change and work on trans and dif fluids. Then finally I'll go in for a de carb job and as Grifnqest suggested probably add spacer on intake manifold and change out the oil filter housing gasket

07 V8 FSI, Campanella white, Air suspension, hitch, keyless start, center & rear diff locks 265/70R17 M+S (mine)
post #5 of 23 Old 09-16-2016
Touareg Addict

I had one of the coils that was oily, too. When you pull the intake off, be prepared to have to loosen the hard metal fuel lines. I had to. There's a rats maze of tubes there! I took pictures, but it all ended up being semi-self explanatory. But for my first time, it was handy to reference the "before" pix so I knew everything was going back together right.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 Old 09-16-2016 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Yes I remember well, had to fix the wife's oil filter housing gasket as she had oil coming out valley weep hole. I forgot to ask you about you having to cut your valve cover gasket. Don't you have an 08 FSI?

post #7 of 23 Old 09-18-2016
Touareg Addict

Yes. I have an 08 FSI. The gasket that came out was slightly different than the replacement. The replacement (IIRC) had a portion of the gasket going all the way around a hole for something (temp sensor?) and the old gasket did not. I looked and couldn't see a reason to cut it completely off. So I just trimmed it enough for it to fit the valve cover and seat into the groove properly.

<shrug> The gaskets were from Rock Auto, so who knows....

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
post #8 of 23 Old 09-18-2016 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Interesting that you had to cut out the same loop for your 08 and that for an 07 FSI just the gasket can't be bought without buying the cover also. I thought that perhaps VW changed the left side covers in in 08 to accommodate the gasket that we both used.

post #9 of 23 Old 10-08-2016 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Update on oil leak. After replacing valve cover gaskets on both sides I still had a substantial leak from both sides of the engine. Friday I put some dye in the oil and took it for a quick drive. After looking at engine I could see a stream leaking down the back side of the valve cover. Today thinking I was still leaking from the newly replaced gaskets I once again pulled the cover to see if the gasket got pinched or if I could find the leak. Turns out the leaks on both banks was coming from bad O rings on the camshaft adjustment valves (N319) located in valve cover. Easy fix and valve cover gaskets need replacing as they too were hard and brittle.

post #10 of 23 Old 10-21-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: Still looking
I'm hoping one of you guys can help me with pooling oil in one of my spark plug holes (passenger side far forward hole on BAR engine). I've read this could be due to a bad gasket but I seem to see 2 gaskets, one about an inch down from the top of the valve cover and another about another inch down. Are both of these layers replaceable? Which one did you guys replace? At first glance It seemed obvious that the oil is coming from the lower gasket layer but I do notice a tad of oil on the top one which made me second guess myself. Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode