04 V6 won't stay running - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 7 Old 03-23-2015 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: too many to list
04 V6 won't stay running

Been scouring the pages but couldn't find an answer to my problem.
I have an 04 V6 Touareg with 103k miles. I bought it a few weeks ago with mild front end damage. Ran and drove perfect. No CEL. Core support was cracked so I ordered a new one. Pulled the old one out and reassembled the front end. Now it won't stay running. Turn the key and it fires right up then promptly dies. If I flog the gas peddle is will stay running but barely. If I hold the gas peddle down at a steady point it just dies slowly. Here is where it gets annoying. I still have no check engine light. I tried running VCDS and it freezes when it gets to the point of scanning the engine. I have a 1/4 tank of gas. When I had the front end off my wife left the car open and radio on nearly killing the battery but I did put it back on the charger before it was totally dead and battery is currently charged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-23-2015 Thread Starter

I would also like to add I just did a fuel pressure test and it holds steady at 60psi. It drops 2psi on actual startup and then holds steady even with my wife flogging the pedal to keep it running so I'm highly doubting that the fuel pumps are bad.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-23-2015 Thread Starter

Checked with a local shop and my fuel pressure is dead on spec. So it's absolutley not my fuel delivery system. Kept it running for nearly a minute by flogging the pedal but still no codes. Readapted the throttle via VCDS to no avail. I have tried putting more gas in it as well. I'm pretty much keeping my charger on the car since I keep messing with it so battery is not dead or low. Even my local shop owner is stumped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-26-2015
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2005 V6
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDog View Post
Checked with a local shop and my fuel pressure is dead on spec. So it's absolutley not my fuel delivery system. Kept it running for nearly a minute by flogging the pedal but still no codes. Readapted the throttle via VCDS to no avail. I have tried putting more gas in it as well. I'm pretty much keeping my charger on the car since I keep messing with it so battery is not dead or low. Even my local shop owner is stumped.
Would still figure fuel with no CEL. Maybe high pressure pump that feeds the injector rail. Filter above drivers pump could be a problem but with 60psi probably OK . Did you check flow from the passenger pump? In 15 seconds should have over 800cc of flow. The passenger pump feeds the rail after 30 seconds. Drivers pump just primes and feeds the rail for 30 seconds. Also transfers fuel to passenger side of tank as needed.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-27-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: Other
Have you tried cleaning the MAF sensor ? You need special sensor cleaner but it's only a 10 minute job.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-29-2015 Thread Starter

That is something I'm gonna try today. Bought a new battery today as well. Going to drop it in the rig a bit later. Not a job I'm thrilled with. Battery wasn't holding an optimal charge anymore so decided it should be replaced anyways.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-29-2015 Thread Starter

Little update. Car is fixed and running like a champ. I dropped a new battery in it. Old one wouldn't hold hardly any charge. Car started but died right away still. This time however I was able to connect to the Ecm via VCDS. This was a win in itself. Only code that came back was the VSS. Next on my list was to clean the MAF. While I was taking it off I discovered the intake tube was not connected to the engine correctly allowing air to get in bypassing the MAF. Put it back together and BOOM it runs perfect. Purrs like kitten and drives even better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode