04 V6 Idle Issue, with DTC's - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 2 Old 02-23-2016 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
04 V6 Idle Issue, with DTC's

Hello everyone;

I've spent a good amount of time on this page after picking up a 2004 Touareg V6 for my wife last year, its been a good vehicle for the most part but I'm having some issues with it now. Was hoping someone might be able to give me a bit of insight.

It started with a rough idle, and has developed to the point where at idle it will hold around 800-900 rpm for a few seconds, then increase to ~2200 RPM for a few seconds before dropping down. Driveability doesn't seem to have been affected, perhaps a little hesitant to accelerate but nothing crazy. Further, gas mileage is pretty terrible, and we're lucky to get it above 13MPG either city or highway driving- most of the time it hovers between 10-12mpg.

I ran VAG shareware software and pulled a heck of a lot of trouble codes; it SEEMS to be like there's a vacuum leak, but I'm not positive. I'm assuming a bunch may be caused by the same issue, but perhaps there's a few different things going on. The codes are:

P1423 - Sec.Air Inj.Sys.,Bank1 Flow too Low
P1411 - Sec.Air Inj.Sys.,Bank2 Flow too Flow
P0420 - Catalyst System,Bank1 Efficiency Below Threshold
P0430 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold.. Bank 2?
P1151 - Bank1, Long Term Fuel Trim, Range 1 Leanness Lower Limit Exceeded
P1089 - Intake manifold air control actuator position sensor, RH - voltage low
P0507 - Idle Control System Higher than Expected
P2279 - Powertrain - Fuel and Air Metering and Auxiliary Emission Controls - ISO/SAE Controlled
P1914 - Brake servo pressure sensor - range/ performance problem

As a military family, I can't really afford to bring this in to the shop, but have some mechanical / automotive knowhow to fix some stuff on my own, but I'm having problems here. I've tried inspecting vacuum lines, but there's not much accessible from under the hood, and I've had difficulty finding how to access the other lines.

Anyone who could steer me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, I can't explain to you enough how great that'd be- we have emissions testing in a few months, the car feels like crap, and we really want to make this beast last.

Thanks;

Bravo Tango
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-24-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2005 V6
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Tango View Post
Hello everyone;

I've spent a good amount of time on this page after picking up a 2004 Touareg V6 for my wife last year, its been a good vehicle for the most part but I'm having some issues with it now. Was hoping someone might be able to give me a bit of insight.

It started with a rough idle, and has developed to the point where at idle it will hold around 800-900 rpm for a few seconds, then increase to ~2200 RPM for a few seconds before dropping down. Driveability doesn't seem to have been affected, perhaps a little hesitant to accelerate but nothing crazy. Further, gas mileage is pretty terrible, and we're lucky to get it above 13MPG either city or highway driving- most of the time it hovers between 10-12mpg.

I ran VAG shareware software and pulled a heck of a lot of trouble codes; it SEEMS to be like there's a vacuum leak, but I'm not positive. I'm assuming a bunch may be caused by the same issue, but perhaps there's a few different things going on. The codes are:

P1423 - Sec.Air Inj.Sys.,Bank1 Flow too Low
P1411 - Sec.Air Inj.Sys.,Bank2 Flow too Flow
P0420 - Catalyst System,Bank1 Efficiency Below Threshold
P0430 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold.. Bank 2?
P1151 - Bank1, Long Term Fuel Trim, Range 1 Leanness Lower Limit Exceeded
P1089 - Intake manifold air control actuator position sensor, RH - voltage low
P0507 - Idle Control System Higher than Expected
P2279 - Powertrain - Fuel and Air Metering and Auxiliary Emission Controls - ISO/SAE Controlled
P1914 - Brake servo pressure sensor - range/ performance problem

As a military family, I can't really afford to bring this in to the shop, but have some mechanical / automotive knowhow to fix some stuff on my own, but I'm having problems here. I've tried inspecting vacuum lines, but there's not much accessible from under the hood, and I've had difficulty finding how to access the other lines.

Anyone who could steer me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, I can't explain to you enough how great that'd be- we have emissions testing in a few months, the car feels like crap, and we really want to make this beast last.

Thanks;

Bravo Tango
Could be something as simple as the pollution control valve (PCV). Round disk on intake manifold passenger side near the throttle body. Not to expensive and easy to change.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode