CARPUTER for Touareg - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 4 Old 09-21-2011 Thread Starter
Commercial Member

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
CARPUTER for Touareg

Hello
I am planning to develop a CAR PC for Touareg. The CAR PC will integrate with the existinf RNS2 navigation system. Whe RNS2 will still function as a radio and a cd player and a navi system but when you select TV IN the pc interface will come up. It will be controlled by the RNS2 controls (the right knob and the buttons around the display) The carputer will be an out of the box product with a do it yourself installation and a price around 1000$. It will be able to play MP3 files and videos (all known formats incl YOUTUBE videos), bluetooth phone capability and a number of options like GPS Navigation with the latest maps, Digital (DVB) tv tuner, internet browsing and e-mail, Car disgnostics with a VAG-COM like interface (the options will be sold separately). It is an option for touch screen but it will be harder to install.

Are you interested in such product? I have experience with CARPUTERs. I am doing a research. I still haven't decided if it is worth it to start such project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-21-2011
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: too many to list
there is a number of Android powered head units coming to the market. the carputer is dead
post #3 of 4 Old 09-21-2011
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Other
Certainly interested if it can act as a replacement to my poor RCD550 system.

Eric

Current ride:
2011 Volkswagen Touareg 3.6 FSI V6
1998 Porsche 996 Carrera 2

Current Projects:
1961 Mercedes 220b (W111), 1955 Mercedes 190SL (W121)

Ex-Ride:
1979 Range Rover 3.5 V8, 1971 Mercedes 280SEL 3.5 (W108 ), 1977 Mercedes 280S (W116), 1980 Mercedes 280S (W116), 1991 Mitsibishi gallent VR4 (E39A), 1994 Volvo 850 2.4, 1999 Volvo S70 2.4, 2005 Volvo XC90 T6, 2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 Sport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-21-2011
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
I would be interested. I looked into this a couple months back but I am not computer person.

As stated android units are comming out and there are cheaper options out there already that would do almost everything you state. But I hate my android phone so I'd be all for a carputer.

For me though you would HAVE to find a way to integrate my VAGcom from ross-tech into it (USB port). That way I can run everything I need from there. That and it will need to have a video out port so I could run vidoes in the back for the kido.

I'd be all over it tough especially if I could get rid of my screen and controls. All of my buttons are completely worn off.

So far the only app radio out there is for Iphones only and has been a complete flop from everythind I read. But I too am sure that within the next year or two much better units will be comming out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode