VW TDI EPA Recall (2.0L and 3.0L) - Page 505 - Club Touareg Forums
 2076Likes

Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg955tt View Post
How do you figure? I am out of pocket significantly, or have to take a gasser with no compensation for what I paid for the TDI, or who knows what else at this point. This predicament is 100% VWs fault. I paid for a good car, not a lemon. Drove an old loaner for months while they took forever to get basic parts meanwhile paying on my brand new car. The dealer messed up the car a bit too in the process although most of that is taken care of. They agreed to replace, but they cant thru their own fault. This is 100% on them and that's the end of it. I just want to be made whole, if you cant understand that too bad for you. I'm done explaining...you think any of that is an equitable offer you're missing a few.
Easy. You have not clarified what exactly is VW's buyback offer (why not?), but assuming their offer is to fully refund your full purchase price (trade-in and cash difference), without any deduction for the miles you have driven the Touareg, then that means you will have driven your Touareg for free, except for the government taxes you paid and will pay on the replacement vehicle. Now any taxes you pay on the new vehicle are really just being paid early, since they would have to be paid anyway at the time you would ordinarily replace your current Touareg in the future. Directionally, this means the arbitrator would assume a usual replacement life, and then discount that future tax payment back to today to reflect your actual loss from having to pay the taxes early.

Unless your state lemon law is pretty clear that you are entitled to a full refund PLUS any taxes that you WILL pay on a replacement vehicle, if you really want out of your Touareg you should take VW's offer (assuming the offer is a full refund).

Now, if you really think you can get a better deal in arbitration, then by all means go get yourself an attorney and start paying them $200/hour to find out.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Touareg Addict

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
I've read all the back & forth on this buyback. If the buyback is full price and you got some number of thousands of miles of driving out of that Touareg, I can't help thinking you're making a mistake to go to arbitration.

I still predict no definitive outcome on the 3.0L TDI on June 11th.

In spite of everything, I still like Volkswagens.
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
It's simple. The guy wants another TDI, per agreement. If there is no decision on June 21, then he should take the buyout since he will then have limited time. There's no arbitration.

2017 Porsche Macan
2012 Touareg TDI Exec (Cool Silver/Anthracite) | Warning Triangle | Auto Hold Switch | (she gone)
2007 Touareg V8 FSI (old) | 2006 Passat 3.6L Sport 1 (old) | 2003 Passat GLX (old)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Garage
This dialog belongs in a VW buyout thread.

My first Touareg was replaced by a later model 2005 in a direct credit swap...dealer paid for two months of VW Credit finance (to accommodate shop time), paid for towing fees and rental car fees. VW came in and gave me the keys to a replacement model and simply changed the VIN on the VW Credit record. The first had 11000 miles on it. I drove the second for 122000 miles.

Not having a diesel to swap into is a problem. VW should once again extend the offer and the owner should keep driving it. Not the buyer's fault...this is all VW induced.

White over Anthracite 2016 TDI Executive
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimbuffalo For This Useful Post:
fincher (06-02-2016)
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuffalo View Post
This dialog belongs in a VW buyout thread.

Not having a diesel to swap into is a problem. VW should once again extend the offer and the owner should keep driving it. Not the buyer's fault...this is all VW induced.
THIS exactly!!! thankyou! All I was saying is I shouldnt be forced into buyback or gasser as I dont want either one. I would be happy to continue to drive my current T until such time as they can do the swap. I wont comment anymore but thanks to some (most) of you for the support.

2004 Touareg V8 silver (gone)
2005 Touareg V8 Black (gone)
2006 Cayenne Turbo black (gone)
2008 Cayenne Turbo silver (gone)
2015 Touareg TDi Exec Black (new)
Touareg Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg955tt View Post
THIS exactly!!! thankyou! All I was saying is I shouldnt be forced into buyback or gasser as I dont want either one. I would be happy to continue to drive my current T until such time as they can do the swap. I wont comment anymore but thanks to some (most) of you for the support.
I *completely* get your position. It's the principle of the thing to you. But sometimes you have to make the best of a difficult situation and put the **** behind you. Don't make yourself crazy just to prove a point. This is a completely unpredicted stalemate situation between VW, EPA/CARB, and you as a buyer stuck with a technical lemon.

Look at it this way: The money you get now for a buyback might be more than enough to buy a new '16 TDI in September, assuming the stop sale is lifted by then. VW will want those things GONE.

Good luck to you. Don't be angry with those of us offering different perspectives.

In spite of everything, I still like Volkswagens.
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fincher View Post
then he should take the buyout since he will then have limited time. There's no arbitration.
It would less expensive for VW to offer a new 2016 Touareg TDI... It would be a buyout at the COG. Cost of Goods.

-Bill-
'08 VW Touareg V8 Lux Tow Hitch
'09 VW Touareg TDI Lux Tow Hitch
'11 Silverado Duramax Diesel SB Crew LTZ
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnPass View Post
It would less expensive for VW to offer a new 2016 Touareg TDI... It would be a buyout at the COG. Cost of Goods.
Yes. That's what they offered him. Thing is, they cannot give one to him at the moment.

2017 Porsche Macan
2012 Touareg TDI Exec (Cool Silver/Anthracite) | Warning Triangle | Auto Hold Switch | (she gone)
2007 Touareg V8 FSI (old) | 2006 Passat 3.6L Sport 1 (old) | 2003 Passat GLX (old)
Touareg Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnPass View Post
How can VW offer a replacement TDI when they're not legal to sell now? What if the performance or MPG is degraded when they are available again? Are you going to haggle with them over that too?

There are too many unknowns. The buyout offer is concrete & reasonable. Take it.
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 V8
I somehow missed that on page 754 BUT I would take it!

Thanks Fincher

-Bill-
'08 VW Touareg V8 Lux Tow Hitch
'09 VW Touareg TDI Lux Tow Hitch
'11 Silverado Duramax Diesel SB Crew LTZ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode