Newbie Touareg TDI owner - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 6 Old 05-14-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Newbie Touareg TDI owner

Greetings All.

I'm new to Touareg and TDI. I've just purchased a 2013 Treg TDI 3.0L V6 LUX with about 64K. I love it! I intend to tow a 5,500# travel trailer (550# tongue weight) with it across the western and southwestern US for two months this summer. At 7,700# I was quite surprised that it has a 1,000# greater tow rating than the '05 Tundra it replaced. Its payload is a little less than the Tundra and cargo space is obviously much less. I am new to diesel engines. I've been told to operate the TDI differently from a gas engine. Full disclosure... I bought it with help from my son who is a VW salesperson. I have a great relationship with the dealer's service crew. However it is a smaller dealer in a smaller market. The Treg has some issues, though, that the service crew have not encountered.

This is a long first post, but I'm experiencing some problems with the Treg and need direction to the appropriate forums. I've been reading various threads and am unsure where to find answers.

1. While testing its towing capability the check engine light turned on and the glow plug warning light started blinking. The Touareg forum threads I've read confirm there is no documentation for a blinking glow plug light. in the threads, root causes have been bad ground in the HPFP, faulty throttle valve sensor, bad starting battery, etc. The light turns off after between 1 and 24 hours.
2. Failure to start up to 24 hours after towing at the same time as the blinking glow plug light. The starter turns the engine for less than 1 second then abruptly stops. I observed a lot of heat coming from the engine bay and even through the glove box in the dash. On one occasion it took 10 minutes with the hood up before it would restart. I've been told by the service staff that I have to let the engine's turbo cool off after heavy work (towing) by idling the engine for several minutes. Letting the engine idle for upwards of 10 minutes while uncoupling the trailer and idling for several minutes while making short trips around town seems to have stopped the blinking glow plug light and the starting problem.
3. The front brakes grabbing requiring up to 2K RPM to get the vehicle moving. Driving about 3 miles (@ 30 mph) to get home has left the front calipers too hot to touch. When attempting to turn the ignition on without pressing the brake pedal the engine starts as if the brake pedal is depressed. After about 10 minutes the calipers release and the brakes operate normally. This has occurred one time in conjunction with the blinking glow plug failing to start but also by itself.
4. Loss of power or unresponsive accelerator pedal. While driving and the the brakes are dragging the engine sometimes unpredictably drops to idle and the there is 1-2 seconds hesitation when depressing the accelerator pedal. When the pedal is pushed hard the engine RPM races and it strains against the grabbing brakes up but keeps the vehicle moving.

I have been unsuccessful in replicating any of these conditions on purpose. No OBD codes have been observed or read by the dealer's techs or on my OBD II scanner. I really want to keep this Treg, but am starting to doubt it can be made reliable.

Thanks for reading all the way through!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Hmm, weird indeed.

It used to be, in the earliest TDI's (in the 1996 Passat) a check engine light meant there was a problem with the emission control systems and a flashing glow plug light meant there was an engine issue. There may have been some problem with the engine, but interesting that you see no codes stored. How heavy of a load were you towing and over what kind of terrain?

The Touareg doesn't have a brake light switch that physically sees the pedal is depressed, instead it sees pressure on the system, which if the pressure was still on the brake system then that is why the engine would start with out pressing the brake pedal. Maybe something in the ABS system malfunctioned? Traction control systems use the ABS system, something there just doesn't seem right, you didn't happen to try hauling on the highway in off road mode, did you?

Welcome to the forum. Maybe someone else out there has more input or has seen this mentioned before. Weird things happen with modern VW systems when the system voltage gets low. If the rig is still on the original battery, it is probably about done for. Yours theoretically still could have the original based on age.

2011 Touareg TDI Executive - 138k miles, 2014 Passat TDI SEL - 88k miles (daily driver)
Previous - 11 other VWs, from A1, A2, G1, B4, B5, A5, A6, NMS platforms. I've owned a few Chevy HDs as well.
VCDS HEX-CAN owner
post #3 of 6 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

2013 V6 TDI update & Q about changing my account name

Thanks for the warm welcome and in depth reply!

Update
I have a travel trailer with a 5,500# GVWR and a 550# tongue weight. My TReg pulls with little trouble. My test route included a 1 mile long climb on a 6-7% grade. It roared from 50 mph to 60 mph @ 3,500 RPM no sweat.

The flashing glow light warning light has not returned. I'm letting the engine idle a few minutes as I hook up the trailer and just after towing. I have yet to take the rig more than 2-3 miles, though. I hope I'm preventing the problem from returning by not shutting down immediately to let the turbo cool down.

The front brakes nearly seized and I was able to drive it the 4 miles to the dealer @ 40 mph max and several stops at traffic lights. It hesitated a couple of times. The tac went to idle and the accelerator was unresponsive until I pumped it a couple of times. Then the engine revved to 2,500 RPM to continue forward progress. Once parked at the dealer the front calipers were too hot to touch, a dusting of black powder (brake pad residue?) on both front wheel spokes and a slight burnt smell. The service manage backed it out of its parking place with me co-pilot and immediately experienced the problem. The TReg has been at the dealer for 3 days and counting with no fix yet.

Should I move or copy this thread to a tech forum?

Regarding my account name. I can't help noticing no one else uses an email address. I would like to change the account name. Is that possible? I tried to open a new account, but could not use the same email address. Please advise. I have an account on Club TDI and would like to use that name.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

P.S. I did not haul in off-road mode. I did test hauling using sport mode. I used off-road mode empty (no cargo, no trailer) on a stretch of winding gravel road returning to regular drive mode once back on pavement.
post #5 of 6 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Thanks for following back up.

For your Touareg problem, yes I'd post it in one of the technical forums (Suspension and Brakes maybe). For your username, I've seem at least one other as their email address. I'd post under the website help forum to see if a moderator can help out. Once you do please let us know in here so we can close out (hopefully) trying to help on this thread.

I understand wanting to keep the same user name. I'm the same on Fred's, vortex, and myturbodiesel.

2011 Touareg TDI Executive - 138k miles, 2014 Passat TDI SEL - 88k miles (daily driver)
Previous - 11 other VWs, from A1, A2, G1, B4, B5, A5, A6, NMS platforms. I've owned a few Chevy HDs as well.
VCDS HEX-CAN owner
post #6 of 6 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for your input and guidance. I will copy this thread and share on the Suspension and Brakes forum and update back here if I learn more about changing my account name from the website help forum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode