intro and help - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 103 Old 01-11-2019 Thread Starter

intro and help

I'm looking at purchasing a used v10 TDI (2004) with 174K miles. Like to know what to look for and test before closing the deal. I drive a TDI Passat now and have always wanted the v10 horse! Owner says the engine light says a oxygen or emission sensor needs repair or replacement. Also says there is small oil gasket leak. From what I know which is close to nothing the oil leal is something that needs to be determined and perhaps the emission sensor can be bypassed somehow. I was planning to take it to the VW dealer to have the computer check and see what gives there. Any other suggestions from the V10 user community here???

I would really like to find a good v10 and pull my fishing boat with the monster.

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 Old 01-11-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Watch your bank account drain with any Touareg lol. Great cars but they're super expensive..
post #3 of 103 Old 01-11-2019
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by michbarr View Post
I'm looking at purchasing a used v10 TDI (2004) with 174K miles. Like to know what to look for and test before closing the deal. I drive a TDI Passat now and have always wanted the v10 horse! Owner says the engine light says a oxygen or emission sensor needs repair or replacement. Also says there is small oil gasket leak. From what I know which is close to nothing the oil leal is something that needs to be determined and perhaps the emission sensor can be bypassed somehow. I was planning to take it to the VW dealer to have the computer check and see what gives there. Any other suggestions from the V10 user community here???

I would really like to find a good v10 and pull my fishing boat with the monster.

Michael
Oil gasket leak or tandem pump oil seal leak? Oil gasket leaks are fairly rare, tandem pump seals (on the BACK of the RH head) not so rare.
"Owner says" - engine light??? get the owner to provide a complete scan printout - from a dealer - to show that is exactly what is causing the engine light. At the same time, the dealer should be happy to provide an estimate of the cost to fix same.
Where are you located? USA? STATE? country? etc

2008 M-B GL 320 CDI (wifes), 2000 Golf GL TDI (sold), 2004 Touareg V10 TDI (acquired 2/2011), 1984 Mitsubishi 4WD Pick Up turbodiesel (beater truck), location - SW Washington St, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 103 Old 01-11-2019 Thread Starter

I'm located in USA/Louisiana. The closest dealer is in New Orleans. The local dealer in Baton Rouge said they would not touch a V10. They had a real bad experience repairing one and since then will not even change a light bulb. Tells me a lot about this dealer. They have taken care of my Passat TDI so far anyway.
post #5 of 103 Old 01-11-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Welcome to the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michbarr View Post
Tells me a lot about this dealer.

I don't think you can condemn the dealer on this one. Most dealerships don't have the know how to work on these vehicles, whether they be V10's, V6's or whatever.

Case in point... I brought my V6 gasser into the local dealership to have the vehicles battery changed before Winter came. They quoted me a decent price for an OEM battery. I asked how much for the install. $20 was the quick answer. I gave the go ahead and proceeded to wait outside for it to be done. 10-15 mins. later the service rep. comes out, sits next to me and says... "About your battery, it's special and would take 3 days to get". "Also the battery is not in the engine bay, it's under the drivers seat". The battery price quote stayed the same but they said 3 hours to change it out.
I said thanks but no thanks and left. Ordered a battery online and changed it out myself in ~45 mins.

I'd venture to say it took them all that 10-15 mins. looking for the battery under the hood only to finally consult the repair manual and realize it was under the drivers seat. I already knew that before I went in.

Point is... consult a good Indy mechanic in your area that might have more knowledge on these vehicles than the stealership.

post #6 of 103 Old 01-12-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Any Touareg can be expensive to fix especially as they age and thinga get worn out or go wrong.

The V10 is a supercar engine that can result in supercar bills particulately because the engine has to come out for a lot of repairs.

Do take the time to read the buying a used Touareg thread - link in my signature below.

If you can take big hits on your bank balance - fine - but the one piece of advice I give everybody is never ever buy any Touareg with known faults. Walk away.

And in the case of a V10 with known engine faults . . . RUN!

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #7 of 103 Old 01-12-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Also remember that not all Mechanics know how to work on Touaregs especially the V8ís and V10ís. Theyíre different breads.
Most VW shops donít want to work on any of them. When my starter went out, my dealer told me they werenít sure it was the starter but they didnít want to work on it. And they werenít entirely to sure how to work on it. ( great things you want to be hearing from a VW/Audi/Porsche dealer ) The quote from the dealer for just the starter was 7k... They asked me if they some how got it started one more time, if Iíd ďjust take it home and put it on eBay...Ē
I flatbeded out of their that day, never to return. Got it fixed some where else for much cheaper the following week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 103 Old 01-12-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
The V10 went out of production a decade ago.

Given turnover of staff in main dealers it is possible that there may be no one on the workshop floor now who has has the benefit of the factory courses that would have been available when the car was launched some15 years ago.

VW dealers' focus is on shifting hundreds of their small and medium sized cars each quarter.

As far as dealers were concerned the Touareg and the Phaeton were unwelcome additions to the VW range and the models and their cusomers never really received the kind of attention that they deserved given their unit cost.

So it''s not surprising to read of dealers pricing themselves out of Touareg repairs! There may be similar tales from Phaeton owners too.

Unless the car is still under some form of VW warranty then owners and would-be owners of any Generation 1 car should now be using knowledgeable independents rather than relying upon the VW dealer technicians who seem to be driven by whatever the computer says may be wrong and who will keep replacing parts ad infinitum rather than actually using their brains!

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #9 of 103 Old 01-12-2019 Thread Starter

Cool Touareg v10

I have used a one man mechanic that jumped out on his own couple months from being a certified BMW mechanic. I plan to bring the V10 to him, put on the computer and have him look over the 2 turbos to see what gives. I can pick up this V10 for $3500. The body is in good shape, no wrecks. there is no owners manual so I would have to pick up one to see what the heck the 500 switches and buttons inside are all about. It appears this thing has auto leveling, and 4 wheel turning of some kind. Geez guys this like you say could be a money pit. My goal was to have this to pull my boat (22ft. Pathfinder). I don't think my Passat TDI has enough twist in her to do a good job. Guess I could look for a Touareg 6 TDI but will have to pay more for sure. The AC is basically a freezer so that is good for Louisiana. Will just see what gives with the computer check. I took some pics of the dash when I inspected it today and ran the motor for 20 minutes or so. It seems to take some time to warm up but the motor ran smooth with little to no knock. For sure, would need to put lots of grease on your hand to get inside this engine compartment to work on anything. I can see why they say you just pull the engine to do anything.
Thinking that if I can keep the motor viable she could be ok. Has 174K on her which is not much for a diesel really.
Any other suggestions besides 'run' away as fast as possible...one of my first questions is getting parts that fit, like worn out buttons for windows etc etc, all paint or color is gone.
post #10 of 103 Old 01-12-2019
Touareg Mechanic

If you donít run, I got a perfect suggestion for you.

Remortgage your home...

Best part is youíll have to sell your 22Ē boat to repair the V10 and by the time thatís done Youíre new Touareg and Passat will will be able to tow your new dinghy with ease!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
2004 touareg v10 , test drive , test questions , trailer hitch , v10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode