OBD eleven - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 Old 10-25-2018
Touareg Enthusiast
 
New2Tregs's Avatar
 
Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Join Date: Mar 2018
Second Vehicle: Other
Posts: 405
Thanks: 6
Thanked 25 Times in 25 Posts
Garage
Jesse M's comment is right on point.
Buy the Vag-Com first.Learn your way around w/it. Then if you want a portable option that works with an Android phone, as OBDEleven will only work w/an Android, then get the OBDEleven.

The one advantage of OBDEleven is that (I believe) it doesn't limit you to only 3 vehicles VIN #'s you can use it on like Vag-Com does.
I bought the OBDEleven first, but soon after got Vag-Com. I now use my OBDEleven to help friends I know who have VW's.
New2Tregs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 Old 11-12-2018
Touareg Enthusiast
 
Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Northern Jersey Shore
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Posts: 135
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Someone mentioned Carista; I'll chime in on that. In my experience, it's very dependent on Model, year, and feature set. I had a 2014 Passat Wolfsburg and it did a fantastic job of listing available options and enabling comfort close and other features. On my first Touareg, a 2015 VR6, it was very much hit and miss- it listed all the common changes you see in the forums, but only a couple had any effect. 2016 TDI was the same way. On my 2018 Passat R-line, I don't think it was accurate at all and as far as I can tell did not effect a single feature.
VCDS did require a little bit of research for my Touareg, but the results were much easier to achieve than I though they'd be, and they are very accurate. If I seek to change something and my feature set supports it, it changes.
On my '18 Passat R-line, I'm not seeing much info for it yet, but I haven't looked in a couple months.

2016 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI Lux
2018 Passat 2.0 TSI R-Line
RocketTech is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 03-07-2019
Touareg Enthusiast
 
Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: USA
Second Vehicle: is jealous
Posts: 109
Thanks: 17
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Garage
I just bought the OBDeleven. I wanted to make simple changes (GUI based) and then work on the long coding later. Supposedly the OBDeleven is coming out with the long coding option. Using the GUI based options requires "tokens". Mine only came with 10 free tokens. I used those tokens to complete three mod's: "Scandinavian DRL's", Mirror Dip, and some other one. They make it easy with a touch of the screen. The OBDeleven App will accumulate more tokens daily if it is opened. You can also purchase more if needed.

2014 Touareg Exec TDi - Black on Black - Purchased 2/2019 with 60k mi. Mods: Splash Guards and some coding so far. Own ODBeleven and VCDS HEX-V2

"Life is not about how you handle the straight aways. It is about how you handle the corners." TreadLightly
trdltly is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 21 Old 03-07-2019
Touareg Mechanic
 
Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Melbourne.au
Second Vehicle: Other
Posts: 505
Thanks: 15
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse M View Post
I bought an OBDeleven last year and I thought I'll buy a VAG-COM at a later date. Dumb move, especially since I was new to car diagnostics. I should have bought the VAG-COM first and OBDeleven later. OBDeleven can do everything that VAG-COM can and display all the readings (and change values if needed) but does not tell you what those values are about. It is when you enter a Physics classroom and see numbers like 3.14159 and 9.807 scribbled on the board. Those numbers would be useful to you only if you know what they are! Only if you have taken some classes in Physics would you know that the first number is Pi and the second is Earth's gravity constant. It is the same thing with OBDeleven. It shows you the readings but you have no clue what those are unless you are already well-learnt in VAG-COM or other hi-tech VW scanners.

And that brings us to the practical application of OBDeleven. It is not for newbies. It is a light, mobile, pocket scan tool for those who already are well learned in using VAG-COM or factory scan tools. Newbies would accomplish little with this tool and will spend most of the time scratching their heads.
Yep, you're describing my experience. I've tweaked a few things and activated the Green Menu but have no idea how to use it beyond the macros. By the way, you don't need to buy credits. You can acquire them by watching ads.
Patr80l is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 03-07-2019
Touareg Enthusiast
 
Touareg: 2016 V8 TDI
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Posts: 458
Thanks: 23
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patr80l View Post
Yep, you're describing my experience. I've tweaked a few things and activated the Green Menu but have no idea how to use it beyond the macros. By the way, you don't need to buy credits. You can acquire them by watching ads.
So if you end up doing several mods to your VW car, and then want to do the same mods on you wife's VW car as well, would the cost of purchasing the required credits end up costing close to (or exceed) that of a 3-VIN Ross Tech HEX-V2 cable?

There are a few saying that come to mind:

"You buy cheap, you buy twice"
"You get what you pay for"

Aust spec MY16 V8 TDi R-Line - Black Pearl - panoramic sunroof
nm2003 is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 03-08-2019
Touareg Mechanic
 
Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Melbourne.au
Second Vehicle: Other
Posts: 505
Thanks: 15
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm2003 View Post
So if you end up doing several mods to your VW car, and then want to do the same mods on you wife's VW car as well, would the cost of purchasing the required credits end up costing close to (or exceed) that of a 3-VIN Ross Tech HEX-V2 cable?

There are a few saying that come to mind:

"You buy cheap, you buy twice"
"You get what you pay for"
Yes, it costs credits to do the same mod on a different car and also costs credits if you want to deactivate a mod you've installed. However bought credits are relatively cheap and it's not hard to accumulate free ones by watching a few ads. You're still well ahead of the cost of a VCDS.

Also, it's the macros that cost credits, not manual entry.
Patr80l is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 03-08-2019
Touareg Enthusiast
 
Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: USA
Second Vehicle: is jealous
Posts: 109
Thanks: 17
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm2003 View Post
So if you end up doing several mods to your VW car, and then want to do the same mods on you wife's VW car as well, would the cost of purchasing the required credits end up costing close to (or exceed) that of a 3-VIN Ross Tech HEX-V2 cable?

There are a few saying that come to mind:

"You buy cheap, you buy twice"
"You get what you pay for"
If you want quick and simple than OBDeleven is an "option". With the GUI menu I can make a change in less than a minute. I can make changes sitting anywhere. I pull out my phone, connect to the wireless OBD device, find the GUI button and activate it. Done. I can check and clear error codes on all 26 control units in my '14 Treg at any time.

The credits are inexpensive. Since they are not a sponsor I won't post a link, but there is also a forum on their site for more information and tips.

I highly recommend experiencing one before passing judgement. I will sell you mine for $200 if paying more for something makes you feel better.

2014 Touareg Exec TDi - Black on Black - Purchased 2/2019 with 60k mi. Mods: Splash Guards and some coding so far. Own ODBeleven and VCDS HEX-V2

"Life is not about how you handle the straight aways. It is about how you handle the corners." TreadLightly
trdltly is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 03-09-2019
Touareg Enthusiast
 
Touareg: 2016 V8 TDI
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Posts: 458
Thanks: 23
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patr80l View Post
Yes, it costs credits to do the same mod on a different car and also costs credits if you want to deactivate a mod you've installed. However bought credits are relatively cheap and it's not hard to accumulate free ones by watching a few ads. You're still well ahead of the cost of a VCDS.

Also, it's the macros that cost credits, not manual entry.
Wow. I did not realise that it cost you to deactivate a mod that you may have paid for in the first place. That sucks.

So if you wanted to trial a number of mods (to see if you like the behaviour), you will be burning through your credits.

Regarding the accumulating of credits, it sounds like how it works when you are trying to accumulate credits when playing some PC racing games...

You watch 5 ads and get 5 credits (or those keys), ie. Asphalt 8

Eventually, in a month, you have collected enough to perform another car modification/upgrade.

As it is when playing "Asphalt 8", this is very time consuming and I only do this in the background (on my laptop) while watching TV.

This is this reason that so many gamers go and cough up real money to buy enough credits to purchase a car (in this game), up to $120+. Big rort.

Getting VCDS may be more up front, but you are paying for the convenience and don't need to top up credits by paying extra or by spending time to watch a certain number of advertisements.

PS. My newly purchased HEX-V2 (3-vin) cable is going really well. I will do a review shortly of the benefits I have observed over the older HEX-CAN-USB cable.

Aust spec MY16 V8 TDi R-Line - Black Pearl - panoramic sunroof
nm2003 is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 03-09-2019
Touareg Enthusiast
 
Touareg: 2016 V8 TDI
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Posts: 458
Thanks: 23
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdltly View Post
If you want quick and simple than OBDeleven is an "option". With the GUI menu I can make a change in less than a minute. I can make changes sitting anywhere. I pull out my phone, connect to the wireless OBD device, find the GUI button and activate it. Done. I can check and clear error codes on all 26 control units in my '14 Treg at any time.

The credits are inexpensive. Since they are not a sponsor I won't post a link, but there is also a forum on their site for more information and tips.

I highly recommend experiencing one before passing judgement. I will sell you mine for $200 if paying more for something makes you feel better.
You make some good points. For quick mods and as as you said, to check faults (both wirelessly), it is a great tool.

May not have commented hastily if someone had mentioned that it was inexpensive to buy extra credits. An earlier post mentioned they charge extra to remove a modification.

BTW: what is the typical cost of buying enough credits to perform a modification on a Touareg. ie. $5, $10...

It sounds like the experience when you go to consider buying a Porsche. You have to pay extra for things that should be included in the original purchase price.

PS. I don't buy second hand equipment.

Aust spec MY16 V8 TDi R-Line - Black Pearl - panoramic sunroof
nm2003 is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 03-09-2019
Touareg Enthusiast
 
Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: USA
Second Vehicle: is jealous
Posts: 109
Thanks: 17
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm2003 View Post
You make some good points. For quick mods and as as you said, to check faults (both wirelessly), it is a great tool.

May not have commented hastily if someone had mentioned that it was inexpensive to buy extra credits. An earlier post mentioned they charge extra to remove a modification.

BTW: what is the typical cost of buying enough credits to perform a modification on a Touareg. ie. $5, $10...

It sounds like the experience when you go to consider buying a Porsche. You have to pay extra for things that should be included in the original purchase price.

PS. I don't buy second hand equipment.
Mods vary in price. The DRL mode that I did cost 10 credits which I think is the most expensive. Google Search: OBDeleven

10 credits cost $1.49. 100 credits cost $13.99.

Keep in mind that long coding is free even though I have no experience with that yet.

Your Porsche example is close, but I would use the Apple example. You pay for the name and the fact that people have been brainwashed to think that you "get what you pay for". Most Android, MS, and Chromebook, etc devices can do everything you can on a crApple device and they cost half the price or less.

Note that I did just order a $200 Ross-Tech VCDS HEX-V2 cable also. Now I will have both and will be able to speak from experience. While I love the ease of the GUI, there are just some things that I want to be able to dig deeper.

Most expensive words in history: That's the way we have always done it.

2014 Touareg Exec TDi - Black on Black - Purchased 2/2019 with 60k mi. Mods: Splash Guards and some coding so far. Own ODBeleven and VCDS HEX-V2

"Life is not about how you handle the straight aways. It is about how you handle the corners." TreadLightly
trdltly is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

VW Touareg News Delivered to your Email!

Stay up-to-date with Touareg news in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]