Lost key fob function in VCDS - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 27 Old 03-16-2019 Thread Starter

Lost key fob function in VCDS

2004 T1 V8.

Had the common battery drain issue.
Disconnected door antennas for KESSY. Key fobs worked. Battery drain still present.
Pulled sat nav and phone fuses. Battery drain still present.
TPMS has been dead a long time.
Discovered last week that pulling the two radio fuses solved the battery drain.

Received VCDS this week. First step, get rid of annoying TPMS warning. No problem. Then got rid of annoying seat belt warning. Then enabled DRL option in MFD.

Sometime during all of this I pulled then cleared the codes. Now the key fobs don't look or unlock the doors.

They don't show up in VCDS and under 46 adaptation option 01 should be "remote control adaptation" but that's gone and instead I have "single door unlock".

Seems somehow I deleted the reciever function?

Downloaded Elsa, can't get a T1 repair manual to load despite inputting all my car data. It's V6.0. I think I need a security code which VCDS says to get from the factory repair manual.

As things stand now I have to manually unlock the car with a key then start it right away or the alarm goes off.

Thank you in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 03-16-2019 Thread Starter

Before and after scan logs. 001 is before. 002 is after.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cds001.pdf (130.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: pdf cds002.pdf (122.3 KB, 14 views)
post #3 of 27 Old 03-16-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
If they keys are actually able to unlock and start the car, then the Kessy didn't forget anything, and it's just the remotes that got out of sync. To make them work again you only need to resynchronize them. The procedure is described in the owner's manual, Chapter 3.1, "Synchronizing the remote control key".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 03-16-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnits View Post
If they keys are actually able to unlock and start the car, then the Kessy didn't forget anything, and it's just the remotes that got out of sync. To make them work again you only need to resynchronize them. The procedure is described in the owner's manual, Chapter 3.1, "Synchronizing the remote control key".

Per the owners manual 3.1, page 50:

Resetting the remote key
The remote key has to be reset if it does not lock or unlock the vehicle

-Unlock the driver's door manually by inserting the key in the door lock
-Switch on ignition.

^^^^ I've done that. No luck. I've tired other measures to reset them as well. Nothing works. What I do know is I am missing a menu option in VCDS under 46 adaptation for "remote control adaptation".
post #5 of 27 Old 03-16-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

No. You also have to lock and unlock the car using the remote buttons a few times in <10 or <30 seconds (don't remember exactly) right after immobilizer has disengaged.

This problem happened to me after a battery change in one of the key fobs (though I did more than one change, and other times it didn't happen). and I could restore sync easily.
post #6 of 27 Old 03-16-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnits View Post
No. You also have to lock and unlock the car using the remote buttons a few times in <10 or <30 seconds (don't remember exactly) right after immobilizer has disengaged.

This problem happened to me after a battery change in one of the key fobs (though I did more than one change, and other times it didn't happen). and I could restore sync easily.
I have tried probably 5 different methods to resync the keys. Nothing works. I have a bigger problem than that. I believe I disabled the remote receiver in the car inadvertently when messing around in VCDS. If you watch the following video you will see that under mod 46 adaptation he gets a selection for "remote control adaptation". Mine does NOT show that option.

I am thinking that when I disabled the TPMS warning by pulling it's fuse and running adaptation I also lost the remote function because I have other fuses pulled while trying to sort out my battery drain issue. I finally solved that issue, it was the radio. So no radio fuses. I replaced all other fuses besides the TPMS and two radio fuses. Still no remote control adaptation option.

What I am asking is HOW to I reenable the remote key receiver function in the car. I found a thread somewhere where I guy also "lost" his remote adaptation and had to have the dealer reflash it. I would think that if I had the mod 46 security code I could possibly do that myself and save myself the dealership aggravation and expense.

Basically I need a VCDS guru's help and an access code. I think.

Thank you for trying to help though. I WISH it were as simple as resync. My keys aren't even recognized except by KESSY for starting. The buttons do nothing no matter what I do to try to resync them. BTW I have replaced a battery on these in the past, open the door with it and start the car and it's reset. I've even done the thing where you put one key in the ignition and use the other to lock and unlock the door then hit the unlock button for 6 seconds etc. I just do not think it's a resync issue. I think it's a not receiving signal issue.
post #7 of 27 Old 03-16-2019 Thread Starter

oops, here's the video:

post #8 of 27 Old 03-16-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Not sure whether you should have that adaptation option. Or did you confirm you had it prior to messing around with VCDS? Your codings seems to match the old ones (apart from the DLR setting), so, there should be no change in the available adaptations. On the other side, those adaptations vary by control modules / car models heavily - so, if you've seen it in a generic video or in one that was made with a different car, it very well might be that you never had that adaptation option in the first place.

Considering the circumstances I'd be more suspicious of the aerial/antenna having some hardware/contact issue, than some coding problems. Then again, who knows.

Btw here's the re-sync procedure: https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...ing-61416.html It actually involves using a second key. I'm not sure whether I needed that one when I did mine, but because it was years ago, maybe I did actually use also a second key, I just don't remember that anymore.
post #9 of 27 Old 03-16-2019 Thread Starter

I found that thread last night and tried it. For good measure I just tried it again. No luck. Nothing happens when I press the unlock button. Still I waited 6 seconds and pressed again. Nothing happened. Swapped keys. Nothing happened.

Curious, car will not enable alarm with the key in the ignition and manually locking the door. However it will enable the alarm with a key sitting on the console and manually locking the door. So it seems the key is only recognized by the coil in the ignition switch itself.

I think we can rule out a hardware antenna issue. Keys worked fine prior to all of this and had good range.

I recall I disabled the TPMS. Shut the car down, locked and unlocked with the key while sitting in the driver seat. Then started it back up and did the DRL mod and seat belt warning mod. Then I scanned the codes. Lots of low voltage DTCs from my battery issues. I saved those as CDS001 above. I erased the codes. That's when the trouble started. Rescanned the car CDS002 above. Nothing sticks out. I need to replace a brake lamp and I have a bad interior air sensor. No KESSY codes. No nothing. However look under KESSY in CDS001 and there's this:

01299 - Diagnostic Interface for Data Bus (J533) 005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation - Intermittent Freeze Frame: Fault Status: 00100101 Fault Priority: 3 Fault Frequency: 14

See No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation - Intermittent. Not sure what that means.

The car was giving me hell with the battery drains, and TPMS coming on, and airbag warning. Was really annoying after jumpstarting it. All sorts of systems would not work. Currently just the two radio fuses and the TPMS fuse are pulled.

I want to like this car but annoyances like this drive me nuts. It's only got 102k on it. Bought it with 88k. It's had the battery issue since I bought it. TPMS failed a month later. Put in a brand new VW battery from the dealer, was better for a week, then dying again. I got so bad over the winter I wired in a 4amp smart charger with the cord hanging out of the hood so I could charge it every night. Forget, and time to jump it the next day. I bought the VCDS thinking I could sort some of this out. Still hope I can. But this issue of no working fobs is driving me crazy. Fix one thing, another thing breaks.

All I can figure is if you pull the fuse for TPMS and run adaptation the ECU learns there TPMS no longer exists. That is what I fear happened with my remote receiver. It "learned" there is no receiver because maybe I had a fuse out that I shouldn't have.
post #10 of 27 Old 03-16-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akron04 View Post
Curious, car will not enable alarm with the key in the ignition and manually locking the door. However it will enable the alarm with a key sitting on the console and manually locking the door. So it seems the key is only recognized by the coil in the ignition switch itself.
Unless you've keyless start, this is how it should work anyway. The immobilizer system, which recognizes they key (well, actually an RFID chip in it), and the alarm system, which is controlled by the buttons on the fob, are two separate systems, that work independently of each other. The only connection and interaction between them is that when you disengage the immobilizer that also disarms the alarm system, even if it not has been disarmed through the remote controller.

And if you don't have keyless start, putting/leaving the key on the center console shouldn't do anything, even if everything works normally, because the car just wouldn't even know it's there. It can only sense the immobilizer chip when the key is inserted into the ignition lock.

Quote:
I think we can rule out a hardware antenna issue. Keys worked fine prior to all of this and had good range.
Did you try putting back the removed fuses whether it solves the problem with the alarm?

Quote:
01299 - Diagnostic Interface for Data Bus (J533) 005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation - Intermittent Freeze Frame: Fault Status: 00100101 Fault Priority: 3 Fault Frequency: 14
This might be related to the radio unit (or other units possibly powered by the same fuse) not working now. Btw is it the original factory unit that the car was built with? And I'm not asking whether it's an oem unit, but whether it's what the car was built with. Can't it be that it's an upgraded unit that's CAN-bus 2.0 and is using a converter kit?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode