Club Touareg Forum banner

Installed OEM Hitch Kit, no Trailer VAG-COM Connection?!?

7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  ipop07 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 V10 TDI that did not come from the factory with a hitch. I purchased the kit from a local dealership last year and installed it without any issue, except for reprogramming the ECU to turn on the trailer module. I finally purchased a VAG-COM cable, connected it to the Touareg, and when I try to access the Trailer - 69 module, the computer can't connect to it. I searched for any other tricks to turn on the module, and found out that the trailer module needs to be enabled in Module 19. I reprogrammed this bit and still no luck. Anything else I'm missing?

#2 ·
Only a guess, but perhaps you'd have different VCDS results if you plugged the trailer into the car beforehand. Once active, the control module senses the presence of a trailer connection. Perhaps yours needs to "sense" it to complete the activation process.

//greg//

#3 ·
I had same issue with my previous Audi Q5 after I installed the OEM hitch and wiring. Dealer had to activate the module as I didn't have the vag-com knowledge I have today and later I learned there is several location to activa the hitch, not just trailer module.

Engine haves one and if I remember right, central electronic haves one and if those are not translated yet then visit the dealer and pay the hour mechanic fee to get them do the coding.

#4 ·
I had same issue with my previous Audi Q5 after I installed the OEM hitch and wiring. Dealer had to activate the module as I didn't have the vag-com knowledge I have today and later I learned there is several location to activa the hitch, not just trailer module.

Engine haves one and if I remember right, central electronic haves one and if those are not translated yet then visit the dealer and pay the hour mechanic fee to get them do the coding.
This is what I'm thinking is the problem. I guess I will need to go into every module and see if there are any other Trailer options. Has anybody else run into this issue after installing an OEM hitch? I'm trying to avoid going to the stealership and paying them $70 to turn on the module.....

#6 ·
Still no luck. :( Spent the better half of an hour looking into each module and only found the trailer module in #19. Also checked every fuse on both sides of the dash and all are good. My last effort will be to take the rear trim pieces off and verify that the module is still connected from when I installed it last year.

#7 ·
Mine is an 05, but when I activated it, I only had to do it in module #19. Did you add the new fuses where required to the fuse panels? I don't have my manual handy, but if I remember correctly, there were two or three empty slots you had to add fuses to once you install the module.

#8 ·
All fuses were added and checked. I also noticed a few things after enabling the Trailer module 19. First, when reversing, the yellow rectangles don't show up on the nav screen anymore. Second, I cannot adjust the ACC distance, it is fixed to the middle position.I guess I'm making backwards progress...... :(

#9 ·
Did you ever get it all fixed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.