• 1 Post By Gnits

post #1 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
EOBD II Fault Codes Software

Found this.
Might be helpful to some:

Just enter the error code and you have some info about causes and solutions, like vcds website.

https://mega.nz/#!WI5X3aBT!V62Q0fACa...f8-JjibFYzL5H0

Original forum link:
https://www.volkswagenforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5367
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Download and install random software from the internet on your computer, which doesn't even has a homepage and requires you to grant administrator privileges to it in order to run, just to gain the same (or lesser) ability than what a Google search would yield anyway? Sign me up! Not.
New2Tregs likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Definitely seems fishy. An APP that "someone" created??
Should this even be allowed on here?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

I don't think that's that fishy. There is a forum link where the guy posted his app and people tested it. But I should have posted how to test it: You can use vmware or virtual box or any virtualisation software to create an isolated virtual machine and install it there. That's how I tested it. Haven't noticed anything fishy. I tested it with some error codes from a friend's vcds scan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnits View Post
Download and install random software from the internet on your computer, which doesn't even has a homepage and requires you to grant administrator privileges to it in order to run, just to gain the same (or lesser) ability than what a Google search would yield anyway? Sign me up! Not.

Good precautions there. Like I said in my previous post: use a virtual machine if you're tempted to try it and see what it is. As for admin priviliges that's not really a concern as all apps require that to be installed anyway. But you're right if you cannot test it safely like I said better not risk it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRespect View Post
Good precautions there. Like I said in my previous post: use a virtual machine if you're tempted to try it and see what it is.
That only allows you to check whether it apparently does what it promises, but not whether it doesn't do something else it shouldn't. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_horse_(computing)

Quote:
As for admin priviliges that's not really a concern as all apps require that to be installed anyway.
First of all, not all apps require that. It all depends what they do or need - and this app doesn't seem to provide any functions that would necessitate that. But even if all apps would require admin privileges, that still wouldn't mean that giving those rights to a generally untrusted piece of code wouldn't be a concern. That's actually a concern even then when the app doesn't require admin privileges, because even without those it can do serious harm. And even then when its author didn't intend it to do that.

Quote:
But you're right if you cannot test it safely like I said better not risk it.
Well, as explained above, you can't be sure of its intents and dangers even if you test it. But my main concern is more that I fail to see the benefits here, while the risks are enormous. I mean it raises all flags, from being downloadable from Mega to requiring admin rights and all. And it's not that I know that this software will definitely do any harm, I just don't know why would anyone want to take all that risk by install it, when a Google search can definitely get him the same results and even more, without any (or barely any) risks associated.

I know the author writes that it's for situations where and when you can't search online... but is that a realistic concern for anyone here in 2019?

PS: Not questioning your intent or anything, just as said, the validity of risk/benefit ratio and validity of this application in 2019.
post #7 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
any virtualisation software to create an isolated virtual machine and install it there.
That's logic right there... so easy to keep things isolated these days, or to make use of old laptops, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode