Disable foot activated liftgate - Club Touareg Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Danbury CT -USA
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Disable foot activated liftgate

Any one can point me to a procedure to disable foot activation of the lift-gate with VAG ? My car is a 2016 Touareg TDI with technology.
radunegru is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Enthusiast
 
Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Vancouver BC
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Posts: 404
Thanks: 3
Thanked 40 Times in 29 Posts
Garage
Using VCDS, go to 46- central convenience, then 07-coding, then long coding. Go to byte 13, and change its hex value from 02 to 00.

'81 Rabbit S 16vG60 | '01 A6 2.7TT 6MT | '15 Touareg TDI Exec R-line

- OEM air suspension retrofit
- OEM parking heater retrofit
- OEM Easy-Open hatch retrofit
- OEM ambient lighting retrofit
chewblekka is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to chewblekka For This Useful Post:
Tregster15 (4 Days Ago)
post #3 of 13 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Mechanic
 
Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: usa
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Posts: 794
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Curious,why do you want to disable the function? I have a 2016 lux TDI and don't have the active foot control of lift gate. I might try to activate my car,if it is available.
tadpole is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 Old 5 Days Ago
Touareg Mechanic
 
TurboABA's Avatar
 
Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: KW, ON, Canada
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Posts: 1,038
Thanks: 1
Thanked 46 Times in 45 Posts
I can only suspect that he has experience the very unpleasant scenario, where you are backed up close to a wall but still have the key in your pocket, and as you walk around the vehicle, the tailgate activates and while crapping your pants you drop everything to wrestle the liftgate before it hits the wall\trailer\tree\whatever you're close to.......

.... not that it's ever happened to me.
TurboABA is online now  
post #5 of 13 Old 5 Days Ago
Junior Member
 
Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Oregon USA
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Posts: 34
Thanks: 9
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
....or perhaps additional scenarios like activation by cat, shadows or wet pavement reflections.
Tregster15 is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 5 Days Ago
Touareg Mechanic
 
TurboABA's Avatar
 
Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: KW, ON, Canada
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Posts: 1,038
Thanks: 1
Thanked 46 Times in 45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tregster15 View Post
....or perhaps additional scenarios like activation by cat, shadows or wet pavement reflections.
GTFO on all those.... Maybe if your cat is a tiger or a bobcat rubbing it's body against the rear bumper
TurboABA is online now  
post #7 of 13 Old 4 Days Ago
Junior Member
 
Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Oregon USA
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Posts: 34
Thanks: 9
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Neighbor's cat - Standard striped tabby variety. I had the fob in my pocket and noticed the cat walk past, around the rear of the vehicle and guess what, up goes the hatch!
2. Shadows - Sunny day, super hard shadows. Fob in my pocket I walked around the rear of the car, casting a shadow under the bumper but not close enough that my foot was under the bumper. Again, up goes the hatch!
3. Wet pavement reflections - Washing car with high pressure wand from car wash, spraying the rear of the car - boom, up goes the hatch! No idea how.. Happened again while hand washing at home! This time I created a shadow in the sun reflection off the pavement and activated it.

In addition to these strange and unexplainable experiences, on two different occasions I came out to the vehicle in the morning only to find the hatch wide open! One of those times it poured rain all night. Luckily nothing was wet or stolen. Could I have somehow unknowingly activated the liftgate from the fob being in my pocket? Perhaps, but all of these strange occasions lead me to believe there is some kind of sensor malfunction. Not to mention the fact that the thing only works the way it is supposed about 30% of the time.

I have been meaning to deactivate this feature for quite some time but just haven't gotten around to it.
Tregster15 is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 4 Days Ago
Junior Member
 
Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Posts: 32
Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
I can only suspect that he has experience the very unpleasant scenario, where you are backed up close to a wall but still have the key in your pocket, and as you walk around the vehicle, the tailgate activates and while crapping your pants you drop everything to wrestle the liftgate before it hits the wall\trailer\tree\whatever you're close to.......

.... not that it's ever happened to me.
The only time it opened on me was in a wand wash bay - spraying under the hitch and being close enough to the tailgate to read the key in my pocket.... trying NOT to spray into the vehicle...

'16 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI Execline | '12 Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline
~~I'd get better mileage if I would just drive slower...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gilty_one is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 4 Days Ago
Touareg Mechanic
 
TurboABA's Avatar
 
Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: KW, ON, Canada
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Posts: 1,038
Thanks: 1
Thanked 46 Times in 45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tregster15 View Post
1. Neighbor's cat - Standard striped tabby variety. I had the fob in my pocket and noticed the cat walk past, around the rear of the vehicle and guess what, up goes the hatch!
2. Shadows - Sunny day, super hard shadows. Fob in my pocket I walked around the rear of the car, casting a shadow under the bumper but not close enough that my foot was under the bumper. Again, up goes the hatch!
3. Wet pavement reflections - Washing car with high pressure wand from car wash, spraying the rear of the car - boom, up goes the hatch! No idea how.. Happened again while hand washing at home! This time I created a shadow in the sun reflection off the pavement and activated it.

In addition to these strange and unexplainable experiences, on two different occasions I came out to the vehicle in the morning only to find the hatch wide open! One of those times it poured rain all night. Luckily nothing was wet or stolen. Could I have somehow unknowingly activated the liftgate from the fob being in my pocket? Perhaps, but all of these strange occasions lead me to believe there is some kind of sensor malfunction. Not to mention the fact that the thing only works the way it is supposed about 30% of the time.

I have been meaning to deactivate this feature for quite some time but just haven't gotten around to it.
They are proximity sensors, not optical ones..... shadows or reflections would never trigger the system.
As mentioned above, walking around the back of the car is sometimes enough to activate the gate.
TurboABA is online now  
post #10 of 13 Old 4 Days Ago
Junior Member
 
Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Oregon USA
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Posts: 34
Thanks: 9
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right, that is my understanding now. I had no idea what kind of sensor it was at the time which is why I was perplexed when it was triggered several times without really being in proximity (that being under bumper). I have read about a fairly specific foot motion that should activate it. This will rarely open it for me, at least not when my arms are full and I really need it. The cat must have waved its tail in just the right place.

Needless to say, this feature is really fussy and unpredictable on my vehicle which has led me to all sorts theories.

Thanks Chewblekka for providing the coding for deactivation. I'll get to it one of these days..
Tregster15 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

VW Touareg News Delivered to your Email!

Stay up-to-date with Touareg news in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]