Disable foot activated liftgate - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 13 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Disable foot activated liftgate

Any one can point me to a procedure to disable foot activation of the lift-gate with VAG ? My car is a 2016 Touareg TDI with technology.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
Using VCDS, go to 46- central convenience, then 07-coding, then long coding. Go to byte 13, and change its hex value from 02 to 00.

'81 Rabbit S 16vG60 | '01 A6 2.7TT 6MT | '15 Touareg TDI Exec R-line

- OEM air suspension retrofit
- OEM parking heater retrofit
- OEM Easy-Open hatch retrofit
- OEM ambient lighting retrofit
The Following User Says Thank You to chewblekka For This Useful Post:
Tregster15 (4 Days Ago)
post #3 of 13 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: too many to list
Curious,why do you want to disable the function? I have a 2016 lux TDI and don't have the active foot control of lift gate. I might try to activate my car,if it is available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 5 Days Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
I can only suspect that he has experience the very unpleasant scenario, where you are backed up close to a wall but still have the key in your pocket, and as you walk around the vehicle, the tailgate activates and while crapping your pants you drop everything to wrestle the liftgate before it hits the wall\trailer\tree\whatever you're close to.......

.... not that it's ever happened to me.
post #5 of 13 Old 5 Days Ago

....or perhaps additional scenarios like activation by cat, shadows or wet pavement reflections.
post #6 of 13 Old 5 Days Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tregster15 View Post
....or perhaps additional scenarios like activation by cat, shadows or wet pavement reflections.
GTFO on all those.... Maybe if your cat is a tiger or a bobcat rubbing it's body against the rear bumper
post #7 of 13 Old 4 Days Ago

1. Neighbor's cat - Standard striped tabby variety. I had the fob in my pocket and noticed the cat walk past, around the rear of the vehicle and guess what, up goes the hatch!
2. Shadows - Sunny day, super hard shadows. Fob in my pocket I walked around the rear of the car, casting a shadow under the bumper but not close enough that my foot was under the bumper. Again, up goes the hatch!
3. Wet pavement reflections - Washing car with high pressure wand from car wash, spraying the rear of the car - boom, up goes the hatch! No idea how.. Happened again while hand washing at home! This time I created a shadow in the sun reflection off the pavement and activated it.

In addition to these strange and unexplainable experiences, on two different occasions I came out to the vehicle in the morning only to find the hatch wide open! One of those times it poured rain all night. Luckily nothing was wet or stolen. Could I have somehow unknowingly activated the liftgate from the fob being in my pocket? Perhaps, but all of these strange occasions lead me to believe there is some kind of sensor malfunction. Not to mention the fact that the thing only works the way it is supposed about 30% of the time.

I have been meaning to deactivate this feature for quite some time but just haven't gotten around to it.
post #8 of 13 Old 4 Days Ago

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
I can only suspect that he has experience the very unpleasant scenario, where you are backed up close to a wall but still have the key in your pocket, and as you walk around the vehicle, the tailgate activates and while crapping your pants you drop everything to wrestle the liftgate before it hits the wall\trailer\tree\whatever you're close to.......

.... not that it's ever happened to me.
The only time it opened on me was in a wand wash bay - spraying under the hitch and being close enough to the tailgate to read the key in my pocket.... trying NOT to spray into the vehicle...

'16 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI Execline | '12 Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline
~~I'd get better mileage if I would just drive slower...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 Old 4 Days Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tregster15 View Post
1. Neighbor's cat - Standard striped tabby variety. I had the fob in my pocket and noticed the cat walk past, around the rear of the vehicle and guess what, up goes the hatch!
2. Shadows - Sunny day, super hard shadows. Fob in my pocket I walked around the rear of the car, casting a shadow under the bumper but not close enough that my foot was under the bumper. Again, up goes the hatch!
3. Wet pavement reflections - Washing car with high pressure wand from car wash, spraying the rear of the car - boom, up goes the hatch! No idea how.. Happened again while hand washing at home! This time I created a shadow in the sun reflection off the pavement and activated it.

In addition to these strange and unexplainable experiences, on two different occasions I came out to the vehicle in the morning only to find the hatch wide open! One of those times it poured rain all night. Luckily nothing was wet or stolen. Could I have somehow unknowingly activated the liftgate from the fob being in my pocket? Perhaps, but all of these strange occasions lead me to believe there is some kind of sensor malfunction. Not to mention the fact that the thing only works the way it is supposed about 30% of the time.

I have been meaning to deactivate this feature for quite some time but just haven't gotten around to it.
They are proximity sensors, not optical ones..... shadows or reflections would never trigger the system.
As mentioned above, walking around the back of the car is sometimes enough to activate the gate.
post #10 of 13 Old 4 Days Ago

Right, that is my understanding now. I had no idea what kind of sensor it was at the time which is why I was perplexed when it was triggered several times without really being in proximity (that being under bumper). I have read about a fairly specific foot motion that should activate it. This will rarely open it for me, at least not when my arms are full and I really need it. The cat must have waved its tail in just the right place.

Needless to say, this feature is really fussy and unpredictable on my vehicle which has led me to all sorts theories.

Thanks Chewblekka for providing the coding for deactivation. I'll get to it one of these days..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode