UHF Radio Installation - Club Touareg Forums
 4Likes

post #1 of 42 Old 12-04-2007 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
UHF Radio Installation

I am looking at installing a UHF radio in my R5 - maybe a GME TX3440 remote mic model which has all controls on the microphone, or a TX3420 remote mount.

I am particularly interested in antenna mounts - the installer I spoke to was looking at a bonnet mount but was concerned about getting the cable through. His ultimate suggestion was a glass mount but this will hae a negtive impact on the gain.

I also need to install a next g carkit with a directly coupled antenna

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions regarding options for the antenna installation and also for the UHF and phone kit in the cabin of the TREG.

08 V6 TDI | Tow Pack | Spare Carrier | 255/65R17 AT | UHF Radio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 12-05-2007
Touareg Mechanic

Hey Treechange

Just doing this myself. I've got a mate who's a bit of a comms guru and he's matched the same radio with an antenna and a Z mount for the bonnet.

There's a way into the Treg through the firewall where the bonnet release is for LHD models. If you have a look you'll see a grommet.

When I sort the radio (meaning buy it), we're going to do the install. He's good on the cable joining, so we're going to shorten the cable. 5m of cable's probably a bit too much. I'm also going to run my spotty isolating switch cable at the same time.

Cheers

Bob

2009 LR D3 SE
2005 R5 Luxury - Gone
post #3 of 42 Old 12-05-2007
Touareg Mechanic

Guys,

I'm keen on this too, could you please take lots of photos when you do it. Where did you guys buy your uhf from?

I would like to run an electronic rust prevention system as well so need a route to run to rear too. I've read somewhere there is a built in channel in a V10 that runs cable to a second battery but have not been able to find it.

Hope a V10 owner here might be able to shed some light.
Cheers

V6 TDI 4XMotion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 12-05-2007
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2009 V6
Send a message via Yahoo to Arkarch
On the antenna, another way suggested is to run the antenna cable through one of the torx screw holes on the roof rail. it leads clean down into the B or C pillar. This of course works great if you mount a lip mount into the roof rail (take it off, drill holes underneath to help mount the set-screws). You can also ground your antenna to the steel roof via one of the torx holes.

One other spot of recent interest - if you are willing to poke some holes into your upper rear bumper, the left side underneath has the four large bolts for the spare-tire carrier option. Looks like an ideal place to build a mount for a large HF tuneable.

I am not a big fan of glass-throughs.. There is substantial loss. Of course many UHF antennas have lots of overkill gain so that may not be as bad an issue as say VHF 2m.

Hey guys, if any of you run 80m, maybe we can try a hookup sometime. I have hit Australia from the western US from my 80m mobile setup.

2009 Alaska Gray VR6 w/ Air + Tech + Lux + Hitch + 265/70/17 Tires
2006 Colorado Red V6 retired
Collect all 50 state colors!
Landscapes -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorsports -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Moab: Hells, Fins, TowerArch, Klondike, Shafer, Kane, 7MileRim, Dome;
Ouray: Engineers, Imogene, Corkscrew, California, Hurricane, Cinnamon, Yankee, Governors, Buffalo;
Anza-Borrego: Arroyo Seco Del Diablo, Sin Nombre, Oriflamme, Carrizo, Rodriguez;
post #5 of 42 Old 12-05-2007
Still Plays With Cars

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2006 V10 TDI
Garage
Also worth mentioning that if you do a bumper mount, there is a cable pass through to the outside for the hitch wiring that you can take advantage of.

// 06 V10 TDI, Reflex Silver/Teak--Loaded

// 06 V8, Campy White/Teak--Air--DVD NAV--Backup Cam--Kessy--Winter--Xenon--RDL--Factory Hitch--Dakar Offroad Front Skid Plate
// 08 27' Airstream International CCD :: Airforums.com Member - "Westfalia"
// 77 VW Transporter Westfalia P21 Weekender, 2.0L Fuel Injection, Pastel Weiß/Orange Plaid--STOCK

-\ CLUB TOUAREG ADMINISTRATOR -\
Please read our Club Touareg
and our

post #6 of 42 Old 12-06-2007
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I have 2 Z mounts on the bonnet, 1 for a TX3420 and the other one for the next G car kit antenna and talking through the bluetooth kit, at the rear bumper I have a second antenna for extra gain in flat country/ long distance. So I know it is possible and works. There is a way trough the firewall, I dont know how as I'm not a car electrian nor mechanic or interested either. I probably should be, but what the heck a car with that type of technology can't be fixed by a bush mechanic at this stage anyway, even less by me, (get a toyo or similar for that) if the car breacks down I would not know where to start fixing it (But I can fix that with comunication option, Satphone, UHF, Next G, EPIRB or others. That is way I spend the money with the best guys I can find and if they they say yes then it is go. And yes sometimes there are set backs and that costs extra.
Cheers Markus

R5TDI 2005,Heavy duty Suspension,50mm lift,Snorkle,Bilstein shocks with canisters,built in Compressor,Tunit Chip,Tow bar,LEDModule, Prodigy brake,Reverse camera,sensor and light,GarminGPS,UHF Radio&large arial,Blue tooth kit,Extra 2X100 amp gel batteries,Luna fridge on slide,Rated recovery points,High Temper 6mm alu bash plate, Full set of recovery gear incl.hand winch&4 Maxtraxes,1full set of CoopersSTT 245/70/17 incl.2 full spares,set of rims with ATR Scorpions HID&KimberlyKaravan

post #7 of 42 Old 12-06-2007
Touareg Mechanic

I've ordered the radio, antenna and Z mount and should have it next week.

Now I'm looking for recommendations for where to fit the radio. I'm hoping that with the TX3440, I can hide the box and only connect the mic when I need to.

Cheers

BZ

2009 LR D3 SE
2005 R5 Luxury - Gone
post #8 of 42 Old 12-06-2007
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzed57 View Post
I've ordered the radio, antenna and Z mount and should have it next week.

Now I'm looking for recommendations for where to fit the radio. I'm hoping that with the TX3440, I can hide the box and only connect the mic when I need to.

Cheers

BZ
Mine is fitted behinde the dash and the head on the left hand side of the gear stick, with the controls and angeld towards the driver side facing up, the mic is hanging on the dash just above, yours probably can be hidden away totally with only a conection showing. The antenna outlet for the phone from the inside of where the air suspension controls normaly are, just a 2mm hole for the cable.
M

R5TDI 2005,Heavy duty Suspension,50mm lift,Snorkle,Bilstein shocks with canisters,built in Compressor,Tunit Chip,Tow bar,LEDModule, Prodigy brake,Reverse camera,sensor and light,GarminGPS,UHF Radio&large arial,Blue tooth kit,Extra 2X100 amp gel batteries,Luna fridge on slide,Rated recovery points,High Temper 6mm alu bash plate, Full set of recovery gear incl.hand winch&4 Maxtraxes,1full set of CoopersSTT 245/70/17 incl.2 full spares,set of rims with ATR Scorpions HID&KimberlyKaravan

post #9 of 42 Old 12-09-2007 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Thanks for all the replies.

I will be looking at the firewall option in the first instance, although Arkach's roof mount is an attractive option for optimum signal strength. I am not too keen on a rear bumper mount as I am most likely to damage this when loading/unloading stuff or hitching up the float or trailer.

Bobzed I will be interested to hear (and see?) how you go with your install - Maybe we can meet up in Canberra once you have it sorted?

Sorry Arkarch can't help with an 80m hookup as I am not a radio man - I just live in the bush and need some extra comms for safety reasons.

regards...Peter

08 V6 TDI | Tow Pack | Spare Carrier | 255/65R17 AT | UHF Radio
post #10 of 42 Old 12-09-2007
Touareg Mechanic

Hi Treechange

Got the radio today, so I guess I had better do the install. Got the lot from prestige comms in WA. Ordered it on Thursday, here today. I got the TX 3440, a z bonnet mount and the cd-63 antenna.

I'll take some photies and notes as I do the install, and we can meet up sometime to check it out.

Cheers

Bob

2009 LR D3 SE
2005 R5 Luxury - Gone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode