Club Touareg Forum banner

The time has come...

5K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Singh 
#1 ·
Well, after 4 years of the most enjoyable driving I have ever had, in the most competent vehicle I have ever had, it is time for the faithful R5 to move on to retirement duties as a grey nomad hauler!
About a month ago I put my car on carsguide to sell, and negotiated a very good deal for a 2008 built but new V6TDI, WITH spare wheel and tow bar - $74k (list on road $88k) - but alas it was not to be. The vehicle, although shown by two different dealers as "in stock but at an interstate dealer" did not appear to exist. It was a phantom. So I got my deposit back and went back to the drawing board. For the previous couple of weeks I had been flirting with the heretical thought of an Audi Q5, and it had been starting to win the mental battle when the V6TDI appeared then disappeared. After much thought and deliberation we have returned to the Q5 investigation - and ordered it!
Although not a Touareg, it is at least a "cousin" of sorts. Have gone for the 125kW 2.0 TDI. Only 3kW (and 50Nm) less than the R5, in a package that weighs 700kg less. The 7 speed DSG is a ripper too!
No low range and no external spare, but don't worry, it'll get dirty! So we'll see how we go...

If I promise to follow at a respectful distance and let Bob pull me out of somewhere (with the BobZ memorial snatch-strap :p) then maybe I'll be allowed on CT outings. At least I can hold my head up and drive in front of Matthew in his parade of Pajeros. I will continue to lurk and put in my 2 cents worth from time to time.

cheers,

..Neil

See less See more
#2 ·
hope you enjoy the Q5 Neil, we checked out the Q7 a while ago but when the dealer says brakes requires changing (rotors n all) every service, we got scared. Did you check the service cost for the Q5? (I suppose, it's too new to have average service costs on record).

#3 ·
That dealer is smoking dope. The Q7 has the same sort of brakes as the treg.
My aftermarkets lasted 54000 miles and just now I have to change pads only!! the rotor barely shows signs of wear

#4 ·
If it has, then even worse, there's a bit of history with petrol t/reg brakes (sometime rotors as well) requiring replacement early in Aus.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f67/aussie-brake-pad-prices-13959.html

though as this thread is about the Q5, I don't think brakes will be an issue given it's much lighter than both the Q7 and the touareg. I would still be concerned with service costs, most Audi people I know thinks that Audi gives great service, once you own an Audi you'd be an Audi driver for life, but Audi scheduled servicing does cost a few coins.

#5 ·
Congratulations Neil! The Q5 looks like a great car. Hope you get as much enjoyment from it as the Touareg! Be great to see it on a Sydney GTG and don't forget to post some pic's when she arrives.

Regards
Carson

#6 ·
Thanks Carson, I hope it will arrive in the next couple of weeks. There will be no shortage of pics when I get the chance!

As far as service costs go, I have had extimates from the dealer for 15 & 30k services (same regime as a Touareg), and they are comparable - maybe a little cheaper even.
Of course time will tell...

#8 ·
G'day Neil! What! you have jumped ship!...out of all the people!
Well, hope you enjoy the Q5 and look forward to having you around for the next club meet.
all the best!

#10 ·
Good call on the Q5 Neil.........
I am an avowed Audi-phile, and joined the Treg-troupe cos the Q7 was just too bloody big (long). No regrets - my T2's been a beauty. My former daily driver A6 2.7T is now the wife's, and the Q5 is looming as a likely replacement within 12 months.
Very nice car - good size, superb engines, smart 7-speed trans, outstanding engineering, and it's a looker.
cheers....
Alan

#11 ·
Thanks for the comments and good wishes - (or can I hear a note of censure in Singh's voice :p) - don't worry, I'm not going too far from the fold!

Well the R5 Touareg has gone :( (last night after waiting since Thursday for Westpac to process the lease payout and give the poor guy a clear REVS check:chainsaw:), and I am waiting for the Q5 get out of bond and to the dealer.

cheers,

..Neil

#13 ·
Hi Neil,
Reprimand is isolated & reserved to events where folks stray off into the internment of Mitsubishi ;)

Look forward to having your company & VW brethren in the next meet.

#14 ·
Hi Singh

I think you're a bit quick to speak on our behalf. Neil has chosen to leave the fold, so it follows that we are no longer good enough for him. There must some form of penance he must serve before he is allowed to speak with us again about off-roaders. In his defence he has been a solid contributor to the forum, so the probationary period might be shorter than normal.

Cheers

#15 ·
Dear Bob,
I have the snatch-strap with your name on it! Be nice to me ;)
(Q5 has tow points with screw-in eye similar to treg, so you can tow me out of somewhere some time.......)

#16 ·
Pardon me Bob, I could only see Neil in a white V6Tdi so I'm finding it as hard to digest the transition. However, he's a good man and something tells me that he might return to VW in future.
For penance, i reckon we go and stay over at his place and take turns test driving the Q5 in the same creek.

#17 ·
oh that's just great! now I'll have to tow a Q5 as well!!!

congrats on the purchase neil

#18 ·
Well yesterday was Q day for me.....
I turned 50 and the Q5 arrived!

photos to follow :)

cheers,
..Neil

#19 ·
But Neil, in true celebration of your accumulated time on the planet, wouldn't it have been more fitting if an R50 arrived? :p

Looking forward to seeing your impressions and pics of the Q5. In 3.2-lier form, the Q5 just won a Car and Driver magazine comparison test against the Mercedes GLK350, Lexus RX350, Volvo XC60, and BMW X3. It will be interesting to hear how you (as a seasoned Touareg owner) feel it compares to the Touareg.

Have fun!
Matt

#20 ·
Thanks Matt ... I agree, an R50 would have been more appropriate, but the minister of finance (SWMBO) wasn't of that mind!

My Q5 has a 2 litre TDI rather than 3.2 litre petrol V6, so a slightly different animal - but so far it seems to have plenty of power. Photos and comparitive impressions to follow!!

..Neil

#21 ·
congrats & wishes for the Big 50 Neil!

#23 ·
Neil, thanks for your contributions to the forum. I expect your interest in things touareg will decline now. I like the look of the Q5 (much nicer than the Tiguan), although it's a courageous decision to buy the first year model IMHO.

Will the Q5 get you off road , enough? Does it have low range gears. I presume it doesn't have a snorkel :)

#25 ·
pics Bob....with you and Gemma by the side... smiling....

#26 ·
First pic of the new baby

Thanks everyone for the comments and wishes...

to DMM, I'll take it as far as it will go... No it doesn't have low range, so I might have to be at the back-end of the snatch-strap (who knows, Bob might be at the front!). I used to pilot an lL series subaru all over Fraser Island in the early eighties :)

And Bob, I am sure that ClubXTouareg members can come on outings, as long as we stay between the true believers and the dreaded pajero II

Anyway, here is my first pic of the Q5, need to get it dirty for more pix!

cheers,

..Neil

Attachments

#27 ·
Very nice Neil!
I think its time we headed out for another trek.....perhaps Moonan flats or Yerranderie the ghost town.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.