7P/T3 - What Gear does your Treg take off in when on a slight incline - Club Touareg Forums
 3Likes

post #1 of 15 Old 04-14-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2013 V8 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
7P/T3 - What Gear does your Treg take off in when on a slight incline

Hey guys,
I have a curious question that I was wondering if you could answer. On a slight incline, and when starting off from rest, does your treg try and take off in 1st gear or 2nd gear. Interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks a lot.

2013 Touareg V8TDi R-Line - Black, Towbar, LED courtesy light Projectors, A/T 20" Tyres, Pioneer Roof Platform with 4x4 equipment.
2008 R36 Passat Estate - Black, Sunroof, LED interior and exterior mods, reversing camera and a few other mods!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-15-2019

Touareg: 2011 V8 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I have a V8 TDI -2011

The take off is always exactly the same, no matter elevation or load (like a trailer)

Gear changes are always in these points, if not floored

1-2 15 km/h
2-3 35 km/h
3-4 50 km/h
4-5 70 km/h
5-6-7 don't remember, but
7-8 at exactly 100 km/h

It's pretty annoying driving e.g. 33 km/h, when revs approach 2000, but T-reg does not change before 35...

Or maybe there is something wrong with my car...?
post #3 of 15 Old 04-15-2019
Learner

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2015 V8 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snerlo View Post
Hey guys,
I have a curious question that I was wondering if you could answer. On a slight incline, and when starting off from rest, does your treg try and take off in 1st gear or 2nd gear. Interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks a lot.
Will have to define how much incline.
Depending upon the angle it sometimes goes to 1st and other times from 2nd

V8 TDI R line MY15, White, Panoramic roof, VW towbar. Dynamic Road Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Traffic Reports, Google Earth enabled. All Led.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-15-2019

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Mine takes off in 1st if I come to a complete stop. If I do a quick stop and go or aka California stop, it starts in 2nd.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-15-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

On a gentle incline, say 10 degrees, mine will take off in 2nd gear. I had a long explanation from VW master technician yesterday afternoon telling me that they have been in contact with VW technical and apparently, it is normal. Apparently, second gear has a lock up feature that will assist with the hill holding function. 1st gear doesn't. They tested another treg that they had in there at the same time except it was the V6 and it displayed similar characteristics. It sounds bloody weird to me but I guess the VW engineers know something better than me in the fact that it is better to start off in second gear on a moderate incline rather than first gear!!

2013 Touareg V8TDi R-Line - Black, Towbar, LED courtesy light Projectors, A/T 20" Tyres, Pioneer Roof Platform with 4x4 equipment.
2008 R36 Passat Estate - Black, Sunroof, LED interior and exterior mods, reversing camera and a few other mods!
post #6 of 15 Old 04-15-2019
Learner

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2015 V8 TDI
2nd is smooth, i notice a slightly harder downshift to 1st as you are slowly going uphill and as the gradient increases.
Appears 1st is lower than 7L

V8 TDI R line MY15, White, Panoramic roof, VW towbar. Dynamic Road Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Traffic Reports, Google Earth enabled. All Led.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-16-2019

Touareg: 2017 V8 TDI
New member here and this is actually my 1st post. I have a 2017 V8 Rline and I live in a street that has a slight incline and my drive also has a slight incline. When parked in my street I find it will display 1st on the dash but when you put your foot on the go pedal it moves instantly to 2nd. Normal stop - go traffic etc is fine it starts in 1st. I mentioned this at the 1st service and was told its 'normal' but I wasn't convinced. I tow a 3.2t caravan and it doesn't do this when towing thankfully!! I find myself selecting 1st with the paddle if I'm just moving the car from the drive into the garage, its a little bit annoying to be honest but I'm glad I'm not the only one who has this issue.
Snerlo likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-16-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
2013 T3 TDI:

D: starts in 1st always except if I don't come to a full stop. No matter the incline.

S: always starts in 1st.

"Callie" - 2013 Touareg TDI Execline, Cool Silver on Titan black
"Sophie" - 2010 Touareg TDI Highline, Campanella white on Anthracite - sold back to VW
"Celeste" - 2009 Eos 2.0T DSG Lux, Candy white on Anthracite
"Simone" - 2002 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, HID projectors
"Rocinante" - 1990 JDM HDJ81 Toyota Landcruiser turbodiesel, 5 speed, RHD
post #9 of 15 Old 04-16-2019

Touareg: 2011 V8 TDI
Bear in mind that V8 TDI and V6 TDI have different versions of the ZF gearbox. When comparing behaviours.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-16-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juha View Post
Bear in mind that V8 TDI and V6 TDI have different versions of the ZF gearbox. When comparing behaviours.
Sorry to burst your bubble but they aren't ZF gearboxes in the T3's. They're the Aisin 8 speeder which means that they aren't related at all. It would be great if we had the ZF because I do honestly believe that they produce the best gearboxes in the world.
PS. And I think you might be right with regards to the fact that the V8TDI and the V6TDI may have different shift mapping. I mean, the two motors are totally different in terms of their torque characteristics.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode