Where I mounted Tekonsha P3 brake controller on T3 - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums

post #11 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago

So I just went through this with my 2013 TDi...was purchasing a 5,300 lb. travel trailer. Went to Uhaul the first time, only for them to tell me I needed the wiring harness. I ordered the set up from eBay. Took it back to Uhaul, spent another 1.5 hours, for them to tell me again that they couldn't find the connection under the dash. I had read the other threads on the forum and was about to the point of getting under there myself. I asked another TDi owner what they did for a brake controller for the same travel trailer...he recommended the Prodigy RF. It mounts to the trailer and plugs into the 12 Volt in the car. No drilling holes in the dash. Used it this past week to tow my new travel trailer home. First time ever towing, no issues. 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Should have read this before I posted. Maybe the Moderator can shutdown mine before it goes live. Where can I get this VW adapter to wire to my P3. I can build it, I just don't know what the adapter looks like, so can I get a part number? Also is the relay needed, I see some have bought the ebay adapter with it others have not. Nobody seems to say that it is needed, I'm not even sure what it does.
Can all LED faults be programmed out with VAGCOM?
post #13 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
I think I linked to the ebay auction in my original post. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Touareg-...oAAOSwnTdaIGjs)

I ordered the back shell from the dealer for $8 and the pins from Amazon (shipped from somewhere in Europe) for $20 if memory serves. I happened to have a pin crimp tool from another project (again link above) and used the Tekonsha supplied cable as the wire.

I bought Macrocom terminals 000979228E 6 on Amazon

Macroconn crimp terminals for repair wire 000979228E 6 pieces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077CRGNNW..._1naNCbZ0REVP9

The dealer sells the pigtail for $80. They have a listing for the backshell but no terminals. I sourced them myself.

What LED faults?

I’d recommend the VW tow module if you don’t already have a factory tow package. There is an aftermarket one but I preferred OEM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Yes I have found the backshell, now just looking what else to buy to get free shipping on the $8 part.

As far as LED faults, the trailer lights sort of come on not very bright. The brake lights work just fine, and no turn signals. From what I read the Touareg doesn't play well with LEDs. Lots of fixes from installing regular bulbs to increase resistance to adding resistors. Just wondering if this can all be coded with VAGCOM. Seems to be if lights don't work at all you need to program for North America, so I don't think that is the issue. Read a somewhere that you can program out the trailer check functions and then LEDs will work, but nothing will report if you have a light out on the trailer if you do that.
post #15 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Check your grounds. I had a trailer that I started to rewire until I realized the issue is with the 7 pin to 4 pin adapter. I used liquid tin (available on Amazon) to clean and re plate the connectors.

I replaced the bulb rear lights with LEDs. Never finished rewiring just tin plated the wires with Liquid tin and used crimp connects. Worked like a charm. The Touareg doesn’t mind the LEDs... but the reason is that a correctly designed and built LED light unit will have a built in current limiting resistor. (LEDs with no resistor act like a piece of wire and have no way of limiting current short of destroying themselves. So you need to add a resistor of proper size to limit the current to them with Ohms law: V=IR or R=V/I where I is the max current in amps of the LED itself. V should be your battery voltage (assume 15V to be safe).

The lights I bought on amazonwork fine with the Touareg.

Many a trailer light problem is due to corrosion, bad wires or bad grounding. Check these with a decent (Craftsman) digital volt meter. The Touareg will do its job and light the lights as long as the trailer is wired correctly.

Also be aware there are two common ways to wire a 7 pin connector. The Touareg connector should have a diagram on it. If not google.
The Following User Says Thank You to NTDI For This Useful Post:
Stewart Fox (4 Weeks Ago)
post #16 of 21 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Another mounting location for the Tekonsha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190328_074502.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	222073   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190328_074420.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	222075  

Gary, 13 TDI, Myakka City Florida
post #17 of 21 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2016 V6 FSI
Redarc trailer brake controller

I recommended REDARC EBRH-ACCV2 Tow-Pro Elite Controller.

See the pics below. Just need to drill 2 holes on the headlight switch panel.

Name:	IMG_3706.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	222155

Name:	IMG_3708.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	222157
post #18 of 21 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Fox View Post
Yes I have found the backshell, now just looking what else to buy to get free shipping on the $8 part.

As far as LED faults, the trailer lights sort of come on not very bright. The brake lights work just fine, and no turn signals. From what I read the Touareg doesn't play well with LEDs. Lots of fixes from installing regular bulbs to increase resistance to adding resistors. Just wondering if this can all be coded with VAGCOM. Seems to be if lights don't work at all you need to program for North America, so I don't think that is the issue. Read a somewhere that you can program out the trailer check functions and then LEDs will work, but nothing will report if you have a light out on the trailer if you do that.
Unless you imported your vehicle, it will already be coded properly.
There are adapters that you can use to get around the LED trailer lights.... easy to find
https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...rt/C57003.html
Also, all of the OEM harness DIYs have been beaten to death around here, not really sure why some users can't find this info easily.
post #19 of 21 Old 1 Week Ago

Touareg: 2013 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyh912 View Post
I recommended REDARC EBRH-ACCV2 Tow-Pro Elite Controller.

See the pics below. Just need to drill 2 holes on the headlight switch panel.

Attachment 222155

Attachment 222157

Love the install! How are you liking it so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #20 of 21 Old 1 Week Ago

Touareg: 2016 V6 FSI
I haven't tried it with a trailer but I believed it will be working well. I'll post the review once I use it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode