Club Touareg Forum banner

What do u tow? Post pic of trailer.

614K views 1K replies 437 participants last post by  SaVAGeSoot 
#1 ·
Just curious what everyone tows with their Touareg ( meaning race cars, horses, etc..), if it's a V6, V8 or TDI and what kind of trailer?

I'm looking for a trailer to do odd jobs.
Thanks

#2 ·
Tregs are great tractors, more so if they drink diesel..........torque on tap! But, I wouldn't be testing out the 3500kg limit too often. I don't care what VW say about 3500kg capacity. Tow that weight too often and you'll blow your tranny and turbo/s. I always work off 75% of the max stated capacity and you'll be safe. I tow a 21' boat on a tandem, disc-braked trailer. It's a breeze.

Reactions: Stu Mcconnell
#3 ·
This kind of Trailer.........2100 kgs and 6.5 metres ( 21 feet ) Treg tows it without raising a sweat...

#4 ·
You grey nomad, you:p I've just had my service done and the the Sam the Man bash plate goes on soon. A few mods I suspect with fasteners.

#6 ·
These are my two toys, 2570kgs (5650lbs) fishing boat and my V6TDI with 18" Cayenne rims.

Attachments

#7 ·
I'm another boatie tragic (as in where the cost of boat ownership far exceeds Treg ownership).

Attachments

#18 ·
Decided to RTFM and found the following data as I'm going to buy a trailer for some serious fishing (off to get some King salmons in about 10 days) and in July to Kenai for silvers and halibut. Looking at 26 feet to handle me and the kids.

Data I gathered is:

Trailer with brakes: 7,716 lbs

Trailer sans brakes: 1,653 lbs

Tongue weight: 308 lbs (boy that threw me)

Total weight (vehicle + trailer): 14,209 lbs

Can any of you who posted (and others still to) share weight being towed? I'm especially interested in tongue weights.

TIA

siberian

#34 ·
Total weight (vehicle + trailer): 14,209 lbs siberian
It's too heavy = 6445 kgs, minus about 2200kgs Treg weight and you've got 4245 kgs with max tow weight = 3500kgs....you need to loose about 2200lbs in tow weight on my calcs.

#19 ·
Siberian, are you looking at maximums? here are some numbers you need to consider:

Max trailer weight 7716 (lets just talk braked trailers for arguments sake)
GVWR: this is the MAX your Touareg can weigh including itself, passengers, any cargo, fuel and the tongue weight of the trailer. You can find GVWR in the doorjam sticker, its roughly 6900lbs for most touaregs but will vary on engine/options
Payload: this is GVWR less the weight of your Touareg...a VERY important number and not all that hard to exceed...it is more on V6s and less on V10 (weight of the engine is the factor). A typical touareg average is 1100lbs, so that means if you are towing a trailer with tongue weight of 700lbs, you only have 400lbs of people/cargo/etc carrying capacity!
GCVWR: total weight of touareg and all the crap onboard (inlcude tongue weight) + total weight of trailer and all the crap onboard LESS tongue weight.

• Love
Reactions: Golf Wang
#26 ·
Well sorta. GVWR is based on chassis, suspension, wheel & tire strengths. Designers like for the wheels and tires to be the "weak links" so I am going to risk presuming that this is the case on Touaregs as well. I suspect that the GVWR is close to the sum of the tire capacities. But wait! The tire capacities are for the speed rating of the tire. My 255/55X18 Michelins are load rated at 109Y which is 2271 libs at 186MPH! At 75 or 80 MPH the permissible load is much greater. Not a lot of information is supplied in the US for passenger tires (litigation avoidance, perhaps?) But you can get an idea by looking at a Michelin Light Truck Tire Data Book (page 90 in the 2011 version) at the page titled, "STATIC AND LOW SPEED AND PRESSURE COEFFICIENTS". On this page one can see that a tire rated for 75MPH gains a 7% increase in rated capacity when used at 40 - 49 MPH. I suspect that a 25% to 30%increase in tire and wheel capacity is available by simply operating at the speed limit in North America. In other words I don't feel uncomfortable fitting three adults, race car spares, luggage, tools, and trailer tongue weight into the 1100# available to me.

At this point I think it very important to apply a dear friend's disclaimer that he wrote for his Porsche 912 web page
I am an amateur mechanic who knows nothing about moving parts on an automobile, let alone which end of a socket wrench to hold. Anyone who follows my lead definitely needs professional help either to have their head examinded or at least they should take their car to a mechanic trained and certified for such demanding and technicaly challenging work. Just because it seems prohibitively expensive and you are tired of being ripped off by incompetants is not an excuse to do the work yourself. I brave life and limb every day by driving my car after attempting my own repairs. Asha sees me spend hours in the garage for the simplest adjustment on my 912. I'm surprised she has not had me committed. Instead, I suspect she is quietly increasing the accident insurance benefits and if not, she should be.

Even the photographs have been manipulated after exposure, thus their content and accuracy should be treated with extreme suspicion. It has been said that photographs lie and those on this site certainly should be considered to fall into that category irrespective of what the photographer intended.
At this point one needs to travel one's own path.:D

Cheers

johnt

#24 ·
My 19' Boston Whaler weighs 5000 lbs. sitting on its tailer fully loaded. The tongue weight is about 500 lbs. and my V8 Touareg tows it quite nicely.

I had no idea that the tow limit is reduced to 1653 lbs towing a trailer without brakes. Trailer brakes don't last long here after being dipped in salt water over and over again so I disabled my brakes after they rusted. My Touareg stops the trailer as well as my F150 did if not better.

Why such a larger difference between tow capacity of a trailer w/brakes vs. one without brakes?

#25 ·
Well given that the Treg will have to stop not only itself but what's behind it (unassisted) makes sense for it to be lower, but yes, that's quite a bit lower.

The numbers I quoted above are directly from the book that comes with the vehicle. I just couldn't see any trailer having a tongue weight of 300 pounds unless it was a pop-up one.

You have salt in Hawaii? Wonder why they never figured that out when they built the stadium... :)

siberian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.