Touareg in the Mojave - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 9 Old 19 Hours Ago Thread Starter

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Touareg in the Mojave

Did the Mojave Road in southern California with a group of friends the past weekend (was my T3 Touareg and a mildly lifted Jeep XJ). It's a relatively easy ~130mi route, without any really technical sections.

The Touareg handled it great! Never had issues with traction, even in the sand and muddy lake bed conditions. It was a blast flying through open dirt roads and sandy washes. The only real issues (as many have reported) was clearance. Would really love to figure out a way to raise it.

Seems like the only option seems to be spacers, but I'm curious if anyone has ever considered a custom coilover setup? Is it not actually possible or just cost prohibitive? I'm not really familiar with that world, but would love to find something that helped get it off the ground...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/R5OhuFDjlKk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CMmgzRkJPl0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1170588.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	528.0 KB
ID:	222061   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190324_155454.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	667.9 KB
ID:	222063  

Name:	MVIMG_20190324_124556.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	733.1 KB
ID:	222065   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190322_183923_2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	686.9 KB
ID:	222067  

Name:	IMG_20190322_183425.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	222069  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 16 Hours Ago
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
The most obvious answer (and easiest) answer for more clearance is to acquire an older Touareg with air suspension...turn a knob and up it goes!

2008 M-B GL 320 CDI (wifes), 2000 Golf GL TDI (sold), 2004 Touareg V10 TDI (acquired 2/2011), 1984 Mitsubishi 4WD Pick Up turbodiesel (beater truck), location - SW Washington St, USA
post #3 of 9 Old 16 Hours Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdiesel View Post
The most obvious answer (and easiest) answer for more clearance is to acquire an older Touareg with air suspension...turn a knob and up it goes!
Haha it does seem like it... Including having a real 4-low option. I love everything else about this one though, and never really plan on doing anything too crazy with it. Just wish it could avoid a few less rocks smashing up up the muffler...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 4 Hours Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgotye View Post
Just wish it could avoid a few less rocks smashing up up the muffler...
Remove the muffler.... way cheaper than any other approach.
post #5 of 9 Old 4 Hours Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
What wheels are those? Fukk i love the way they look.
post #6 of 9 Old 3 Hours Ago
Touareg Mechanic

They resemble Konig Lockouts
post #7 of 9 Old 1 Hour Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04_sti View Post
What wheels are those? Fukk i love the way they look.
Method 701s

They come in 5x130 17" to fit a dodge/Mercedes sprinter. Only downside is that you have to run spacers to get them to clear our brakes...
post #8 of 9 Old 49 Minutes Ago

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Yeah, they look nice! A slight lift would be fitting. And what size are the Conti Terrain Contacts? I'm about to put a set of those on my 18" rims (tomorrow actually). I was totally on the fence about whether or not to get some 17" rims but opted not to. How do you like the tires? This is the first time I've seen that combination on a T3. It looks like those tires fill out the wheel well a lot more than than my mine do and they look wider as well. I'm guessing a wider tire may have been possible with the spacers?
post #9 of 9 Old 3 Minutes Ago Thread Starter

lgotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tregster15 View Post
Yeah, they look nice! A slight lift would be fitting. And what size are the Conti Terrain Contacts? I'm about to put a set of those on my 18" rims (tomorrow actually). I was totally on the fence about whether or not to get some 17" rims but opted not to. How do you like the tires? This is the first time I've seen that combination on a T3. It looks like those tires fill out the wheel well a lot more than than my mine do and they look wider as well. I'm guessing a wider tire may have been possible with the spacers?
Nice! They're actually a pretty conservative fitment 245/65R17. Would like to go bigger on the next set for MAX height... The tires have been great for what I need. They have great road manners, and are super quiet. They've done well in the snow, and are decent offroad. Definitely not the same traction in deeper mud or sand as a real mud terrain tire. Also a bit of a bummer that they don't have the snowflake for chain control that KO2s have. That said I haven't really had traction issues anywhere I've brought the car, and they're quieter on the highway then the kumhos I run on my golf...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode