Rear Collision with tow hitch - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 21 Old 04-14-2019 Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Rear Collision with tow hitch

I'm not sure exactly which category to post this, so if anyone has another recommendation...

So yesterday it was raining and another car ran into the back of my Touareg. I'd estimate a 15 MPH collision.

It looks like the hitch took the impact.

So has anyone else ever had this happen?

What is the repairability of any damage to the chassis that might have occurred?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-14-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTDI View Post
I'm not sure exactly which category to post this, so if anyone has another recommendation...

So yesterday it was raining and another car ran into the back of my Touareg. I'd estimate a 15 MPH collision.

It looks like the hitch took the impact.

So has anyone else ever had this happen?

What is the repairability of any damage to the chassis that might have occurred?

At minimum, insist on a new towbar cross-beam (means complete towbar) plus close examination of chassis forward of the beam. Stress damage to the cross-beam may not be visible

2015 (16MY) Touareg SE 258 bhp
post #3 of 21 Old 04-14-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
I can't imagine the chassis being damaged..... if you do end up getting the cross-beam replaced, it would be very interesting to see if it actually deformed at all. Because you actually do tow with it, I'd advise trying to get it replaced or "re-certified" if that's an option so that you are covered in case of some future failure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 04-14-2019

Touareg: 2016 V6 FSI
For sure ordering this now lol ! 8 mile stretch of stop and go before I get to the interstate each morning. There is an average of 1 rear end A DAY !
https://www.amazon.com/HitchHammer-M.../dp/B06VW2T588
post #5 of 21 Old 04-14-2019

Touareg: 2013 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Same happened to me a few years ago (in a funeral procession no less). The only external damage was my bottom valance was cracked, the hitch took all of the impact. They had to tow the Corolla away! There was internal damage to the bumper and other parts but no frame damage. The collision shop suggested to replace the hitch due to the stress it took, which was done (insurance paid for it all). Amazingly it was almost $4000 in damage. All is good though with about another 50,000 miles driven..

'56 Beetle (still have)
'65 Beetle
'69 Ghia (wish I still had)
'73 Super Beetle
'77 Beetle Convertible
'82 Quantum
'85 Vanagon
'91 Jetta Carat
'93 Eurovan (2)
'99 Jetta TDI (son has)
'03 Passat (gave to other son at 185K)
'13 Touareg VR6
'18 Golf Alltrack SE (VW repurchased)
'19 Tiguan SEL-P
post #6 of 21 Old 04-16-2019 Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Hmmm...

Perhaps I'm just overly cautious but I bought the Touareg to two up to gross weight and (now) routinely tow a 5500 lb trailer with it.

Based on the impact I suspect the receiver socket (Tube) was hit. Which to me implies it was put in a twisting moment relative to the mounts. The bolts are 80,000 lb rated (each). so my big worry is whether anything yielded or whether the other car crumpled instead.

I didn't know there was something like re-certifying it. I know they can check for deformation of the hitch and if they strip the paint it can be examined with mag particle or die penetrant inspection (like either of MagnaFlux's products).

However my bigger worry is the sheet metal it mounts to and the nut inserts. I've never worked on the chassis before. However I have seen some Q7s with some serious rear end damage. The problem for me is I was planning on towing this weekend (on a 1000 mile trip). So it sort of killed my plans as I doubt the insurance company can move quick enough.

I agree that a new hitch is a minimum. I presume VW has a way to inspect the chassis for damage by key measurement points. My main concern I suppose is getting it re-certified to tow to max gross.

As I said I just was curious if anyone else has had to deal with anything like this before.

Its a shame I had to file an insurance claim....
post #7 of 21 Old 04-16-2019 Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th VW View Post
Same happened to me a few years ago (in a funeral procession no less). The only external damage was my bottom valance was cracked, the hitch took all of the impact. They had to tow the Corolla away! There was internal damage to the bumper and other parts but no frame damage. The collision shop suggested to replace the hitch due to the stress it took, which was done (insurance paid for it all). Amazingly it was almost $4000 in damage. All is good though with about another 50,000 miles driven..

Sounds like exactly what happened to me. The 1993 Toyota that hit me had to be towed away to. In a way I feel the hitch saved ME from more damage. I just want to make sure its all good to go before hooking a heavy trailer and embarking on a 1000+ mile trip. I do wish the dealer had put the foam absorb-er back in, perhaps it would have saved me some bumper cover damage.

The worst part I suppose is watching the person hit me in the rear view mirror.
post #8 of 21 Old 04-16-2019 Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Maybe i should just get the sport bumper cover put on from the Type-R...?
post #9 of 21 Old 04-16-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTDI View Post
Maybe i should just get the sport bumper cover put on from the Type-R...?
Your Touareg might look silly with an Integra rear bumper on it!
post #10 of 21 Old 04-16-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Was the tow bar and ball in the hitch when the accident happened? I keep my tow bar attached since I trail a boat on a regular basis and love having some protection from the park by bump folks. lol
supercraig1 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode