Rear Collision with tow hitch - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #11 of 21 Old 04-16-2019

Touareg: 2003 V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTDI View Post
I'm not sure exactly which category to post this, so if anyone has another recommendation...

So yesterday it was raining and another car ran into the back of my Touareg. I'd estimate a 15 MPH collision.

It looks like the hitch took the impact.

So has anyone else ever had this happen?

What is the repairability of any damage to the chassis that might have occurred?

My wife was rear end by a loser with no insurance a couple years ago in our 2011 before the buyback. My wife estimated he was going about 30MPH. The impact pushed her into the car in front of her, so damage front and rear. The final bill was over $15,000 to repair by the dealer. To my surprise, the insurance fixed it. It was all superficial damage, no structural damage. I was pleasantly surprised how well the Touareg held up and protected my wife and her occupants. That is what prompted me to buy another after our first was bought back.

I canít speak of the damage to the hitch. The vehicle that hit her was a Blazer and it mostly hit the hatch. I had a ball mount and 2 5/16 ball mounted and I imagine it took a hit, but it appeared undamaged. Itís a robust unit, so I didnít worry.

I provided some pics mid way through the repair process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 04-16-2019 Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
Your Touareg might look silly with an Integra rear bumper on it!

Yeah you are right. I meant R-Line. Not sure why I said Type-R...
post #13 of 21 Old 04-16-2019 Thread Starter
Supporting Member

I guess for me I just wish it wouldn't have happened at all. I bought the Touareg specifically because of the 7700 lbs tow rating. The hitch is built very heavy. But it says do not cut, bend or weld on the tag. Now I realize VW is probably overly cautious but I like to think they designed it that way for a reason. And I really want to be able to to 7700 if I need to and not worry about ripping the back of the chassis off.

Anyone work at a dealer and know if they can measure for deflected/deformed chassis and or hitch?

The big worry of course is always what you can't see. Of course I could have a professional NDT look at it, but I presume the cost of that will exceed the cost of the hitch.

I guess there's not way to know just how strong the chassis really is under the hitch. The specs on the bolts put them around 80,000 lbs of clamping force....

Also I doubt the tow hitch is rated for a pure pull of 7700 lbs (though perhaps it is).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 Old 04-17-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
You're worrying too much. The strength of the tubes being used to manufacture it is astronomical compared to a the paperclip equivalent of the tow rating. Inspect it visually for signs of cracks, bends or damage. If all looks ok, go ahead and take your trip and tow without a second thought. If you've made the insurance claim or are making it, then push to have it replaced for piece of mind.

Realistically, it would take A LOT to damage the hitch to the point where it might fail under towing conditions. As an example, I installed some cheapo Class II hitch on my previous Ram that I bought at some hardware store.... it looked like something someone had slapped together in their barn on a Sunday. I used that Mickey Mouse hitch to tow\yank H1s out of mudholes, among many others, and got pulled out myself many times. All sorts of overloading through the years, all sorts of shock loading and hits\bumps, etc.

Just prior to selling my Ram, I used it to tow a much too large\heavy TT with a massive TW on a camping outing, and it still held up perfectly.
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?c...ebqGsz15atHdtV
That's a 3" suspension lift on 35" mudders with WDH and it's still squatting like a MOFO. That TT was such a PIG.

You're overthinking this issue!
post #15 of 21 Old 04-17-2019 Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Of course. I’m
An engineer. That’s what we do.

However.... it’s still worth checking. VW makes such a big deal out of the WD hitch ratings that I would rather be sure. It’s entirely possible that the bolt attach points are the weak point. And an impact to the hitch puts tension load on the upper bolts.

Unfortunately I don’t know what the yield limits are not do I have any idea what the impact impulse force was.

So I guess I’m just being cautious.

I’ve seen trucks like that one where you can drive next to it on the highway and see the hitch flexing. VWs hitch appears to be designed with a displacement rigidity condition rather than around material tensile strength.

To me I bought the Touareg to tow up to gross. And I just sort the weakness is in the attach points.

Obviously a visual inspection of the hitch is due. But it’s useless without a certified NDT (non destructive testing) tech’s paperwork (at least legally).

I’m really hopeful for no structural damage however without an assessment by someone with the right technical data how would I know....
post #16 of 21 Old 04-17-2019
Touareg Mechanic

If I were closer, I'd meet up with you to slap you.
There's 8 bolts. Let's not get into specifics of yields, shear, MPI, etc.
Unless you can already see some of the welds coming apart or something, the bolts would let go from the frame in order for a failure to happen.
Do you see the tow bar flanges peeling off the frame mount pads? Is anything loose? You'll be pulling up to 7.7k of trailer. FA compared to what one single bolt can take. You'll also be applying up to 770lbs of TW. See above comment about FA.

I bet you can easily hook up a crane to your "allegedly" weakened tow bar and lift the whole Touareg up in the air without any failure.... even if someone swapped out the OEM bolts with some cheap grade 2 bolts.
post #17 of 21 Old 04-17-2019 Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Are you an engineer too?

I’m sure the hitch is stronger than the mount points. But the reality is that we don’t know what the design specs were. A 8K lb trailer at 40 degrees incline is only 5140 lbs of pull required. So depending on the spec who knows what VW actually anticipated the hitch to handle.

If it’s a carry over from the T1 and their commercial pulling the Jet. Then it is rated for a lot more. But the bolts were downgraded from M14 to M12 for the T3.

Also when a WD hitch is used a large moment is created on the bolts in tension. So my question is what percentage of yield do they see. Because the chassis needs to handle whatever it is.

I wouldn’t even be worrying if it was an undamaged Touareg. But what changes has the damage caused.

Can an undamaged Touareg pull 7700 lbs of force on the hitch? I doubt the Touareg will develop enough traction to do that....
post #18 of 21 Old 04-17-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Are you an engineer too?
Let's just assume that I understand your terminology...... I don't think we need to run FEA on your towbar......
But keep stressing if you're that worried.
It's kind of entertaining.
post #19 of 21 Old 04-17-2019 Thread Starter
Supporting Member

I’m glad I can entertain.
post #20 of 21 Old 04-18-2019

Touareg: 2011 V8 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Are you an engineer too?

Iím sure the hitch is stronger than the mount points. But the reality is that we donít know what the design specs were. A 8K lb trailer at 40 degrees incline is only 5140 lbs of pull required. So depending on the spec who knows what VW actually anticipated the hitch to handle.

If itís a carry over from the T1 and their commercial pulling the Jet. Then it is rated for a lot more. But the bolts were downgraded from M14 to M12 for the T3.

Also when a WD hitch is used a large moment is created on the bolts in tension. So my question is what percentage of yield do they see. Because the chassis needs to handle whatever it is.

I wouldnít even be worrying if it was an undamaged Touareg. But what changes has the damage caused.

Can an undamaged Touareg pull 7700 lbs of force on the hitch? I doubt the Touareg will develop enough traction to do that....
How about the Touareg that pulled a 747 (155 ton) with 4 tons of sandbags inside the car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode