Power to trailer - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 11 Old 06-06-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2017 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Power to trailer

I put a Bluetooth Furrion camera on the prewired Furrion mount on my 2018 Jayco Octane trailer. Has enough power to turn on but not enough to send signal. If I hook up direct to trailer 12v battery it works fine with strong signal. Reading 13.2v at the 7 pin hook up but canít seem to figure out the issue. The same trailer camera combo works fine hooked up to an F series pick up. Havenít tried reading the voltage output at the Furrion hookup when connected to Treg yet.

Hmmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-12-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Bluetooth signal range is very limited..... you're going to be out of range by the time you get into your Treg.....
post #3 of 11 Old 06-12-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Also, you said "prewired" so I wouldn't be surprised if the manufacturer wired it to only receive power when you're in reverse or when the marker lights are on.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-12-2019
Touareg Mechanic

https://cdn.accentuate.io/1906138284...M00002_web.pdf

Page 15 confirms my assumptions above......
post #5 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago

[QUOTE=supercraig1;2052213]I put a Bluetooth Furrion camera on the prewired Furrion mount on my 2018 Jayco Octane trailer. Has enough power to turn on but not enough to send signal. If I hook up direct to trailer 12v battery it works fine with strong signal. Reading 13.2v at the 7 pin hook up but can’t seem to figure out the issue. The same trailer camera combo works fine hooked up to an F series pick up. Haven’t tried reading the voltage output at the Furrion

hookup when connected to Treg yet.

We are having a similar issue with our Rockwood Trailer - we were advised by Furrion to get an adapter from E-trailer that would interpret the output from the 7-pin hitch as continuous power to the 12 volt socket pin - we did so, which helped, but we still have intermittent signals - it isn’t the Bluetooth signal that is the issue, or the lights needing to be continuously on or the car in reverse - our dealer did all the troubleshooting it could do and then stated that it must be the VW Touareg.... the only other solution is to somehow run a wire in the trailer directly to a 12 volt power source... what a headache!
post #6 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

How can anyone possibly say that "it's the Touareg" if the solution is to "run a 12v wire from the Trailer to a power source"?
That statement alone says the problem is THE TRAILER and how it supplies power to the "pre-wired" camera mount\harness\plug.
post #7 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago

We had issues when we had to get our wiring set up to work with our wireless brake controller as well - our VW dealer had to tear up the car and get an aftermarket 7-pin adapter to get the wireless brake controller working correctly - I don’t pretend to have any electrical expertise whatsoever - there are 14 volts coming through the trailer pre-wired connection when we are hitched up with lights on, but there is still a pulsing on-off signal with the camera... I’m wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and found a simple solution.
post #8 of 11 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamadebski View Post
We had issues when we had to get our wiring set up to work with our wireless brake controller as well - our VW dealer had to tear up the car and get an aftermarket 7-pin adapter to get the wireless brake controller working correctly - I donít pretend to have any electrical expertise whatsoever - there are 14 volts coming through the trailer pre-wired connection when we are hitched up with lights on, but there is still a pulsing on-off signal with the camera... Iím wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and found a simple solution.
We are still having the same issue. Probably going to just wire directly into the the trailer 12 supply with an on/off switch (from the trailer battery) as that's what I've been doing with an extension wire from the camera to the cig lighter socket in the trailer. When we hook the trailer up to the Ford tow vehicle at the dealer and to a friends Grand Cherokee there is no issue. Only an issue with the VW. Just another expense in the toy hauler experience......
post #9 of 11 Old 4 Days Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercraig1 View Post
We are still having the same issue. Probably going to just wire directly into the the trailer 12 supply with an on/off switch (from the trailer battery) as that's what I've been doing with an extension wire from the camera to the cig lighter socket in the trailer. When we hook the trailer up to the Ford tow vehicle at the dealer and to a friends Grand Cherokee there is no issue. Only an issue with the VW. Just another expense in the toy hauler experience......
Have you tried putting your lights ON to see if they TT manufacturer tapped into the running lights for the power source?
post #10 of 11 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
Have you tried putting your lights ON to see if they TT manufacturer tapped into the running lights for the power source?
yes. tried on, tried auto, even tried in reverse to see if it helped.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« Lift Kit?? | - »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode