Off roading on beach what to do? - Page 5 - Club Touareg Forums
 7Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 53 Old 04-14-2018
Touareg Enthusiast
 
ridedirt311's Avatar
 
Touareg: 2008 V6
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Long Island, NY, USA
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Posts: 172
Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touaregman33 View Post
So today I finally took my truck on the beach, first off what an experience. I definitely had lots of fun and only got stuck once .I actually left my truck in the auto mode for the air suspension and it did really well. I aired down to 20 PSI next time Iím definitely going down to 15 though. Traction control was off.
But I do still have some questions. I left it in D but felt like the car was revving to high and wouldnít shift right. Same thing in sport. I didnít put it in 4 low. I was in 4 high. Next time should I put it in 4 low? Should I do the manual shift? What gear should I be in?
The time I did get stuck it was because of a woman in a F 150 got stuck right in the dam middle of the one way in one way out entrance. I decided to go around her but with out hitting her I had to go up on the sand dune and the car wouldnít do it so I ended up digging my self a nice little hole. Luckily they had some wood And put it under the front tires and it was able to clim out. I did fear putting to much stress on the tranny though coming out of it.
Is there any way to reduce the stress of it? Mainly when doing normal beach driving?
When/ If I get stuck again is it better to ease into on the gas?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Nice! Where did you go? Sore Thumb?

You shouldnít have to change anything, aside from turning the TCS off. Four high is exactly where you want to be. And, airing down is the stress reliever for your tranny.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Mike H
ridedirt311 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 53 Old 04-14-2018
Touareg Mechanic
 
Spiegelglatt's Avatar
 
Touareg: 2008 V8
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Canby, OR, USA
Second Vehicle: 2007 V6
Posts: 1,111
Thanks: 14
Thanked 100 Times in 99 Posts
Garage
As others have stated, I use manual as I am looking ahead and anticipating the terrain as well as obstacles, I shift when it is safe to as opposed to times that would break what little traction I might have.
Spiegelglatt is offline  
post #43 of 53 Old 04-16-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic
 
Touaregman33's Avatar
 
Touareg: 2004 V8
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Posts: 770
Thanks: 19
Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
Manually you keep the revs higher and in accordance with whats ahead.
Sport does keep revs higher comparatively but manual is better.
I personally have it in sport and use paddle shifters, dont like to have one hand away from steering to shift gears when you have to actively steer/turn to find best line or avoid something
Makes sense, I don't have the paddle shifters so I gotta do the one hand thing lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patr80l View Post
Maybe I'm stating the obvious but..... wet sand is firm and easier to drive on but the reason it's wet is that it's covered by the high tide. Don't get stuck there.
If you're stuck in dry sand you have all the time in the world to get un-stuck. If you are stuck somewhere really isolated and on your own (eg in the desert) then make camp and try again in the morning. Sand gains some moisture overnight and is more cohesive in the morning. I've been in situations where the sand flows like water when you're trying to dig yourself out in the noon heat but in the early morning been able to drive straight out without effort.
Remember to always consider The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy's cover note.
LOL I'm from LI I deff don't want to camp out if I get stuck HAHA. So maybe I'll start going in the morning or later at night so there is more moisture. I never thought of it like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiegelglatt View Post
As others have stated, I use manual as I am looking ahead and anticipating the terrain as well as obstacles, I shift when it is safe to as opposed to times that would break what little traction I might have.
Smart
Touaregman33 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #44 of 53 Old 04-16-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic
 
Touaregman33's Avatar
 
Touareg: 2004 V8
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Posts: 770
Thanks: 19
Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridedirt311 View Post
Nice! Where did you go? Sore Thumb?

You shouldn’t have to change anything, aside from turning the TCS off. Four high is exactly where you want to be. And, airing down is the stress reliever for your tranny.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I want'ed to go to sore Thumb but I couldn't find the entrance HAHA. I ended up going to Democrat point.
Is sore Thumb harder sand?
I'm deff airing down even more next time. When going in the entrance a lifted jeep got stuck and I thought to my self this isn't a good idea. But like most things I took the risk and I had a lot of fun.
ridedirt311 likes this.
Touaregman33 is offline  
post #45 of 53 Old 04-16-2018
Touareg Enthusiast
 
ridedirt311's Avatar
 
Touareg: 2008 V6
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Long Island, NY, USA
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Posts: 172
Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touaregman33 View Post
I want'ed to go to sore Thumb but I couldn't find the entrance HAHA. I ended up going to Democrat point.
Is sore Thumb harder sand?
I'm deff airing down even more next time. When going in the entrance a lifted jeep got stuck and I thought to my self this isn't a good idea. But like most things I took the risk and I had a lot of fun.


Itís the same terrain on the other side of the inlet at Sore Thumb. If you go down to 20psi, youíre plenty good. And, if you do happen to get stuck, you have some room to come down a bit more in pressure to help get yourself out. If you do happen to get stuck, try to back out of it. Reversing out works quite well. Donít sweat the guys in the big jeeps getting hemmed up. Most of those meatheads donít even air down.

Iíve done well over 500 miles on the outer beaches of LI over the past few years in my Touareg. Most of it solo. If you conservative you should have no troubles heading out alone. Not to mention, most of the outer beaches that lie furthest west tend to have people coming, and going fairly often. So, there is usually someone around to lend a friendly, helping hand. But, there are a few areas I would steer clear of if youíre solo.

The rocks at Moriches Inlet(Smith Point).

Hither Hills in Montauk. When the tide is in the beach gets very narrow, and the access road has quite a steep drop in. So as youíre heading east/west to cut 90 degrees to head north up the steep incline up to the access road seemed to be a bit of a challenge for the Touareg. Also take into consideration that I am running a VR6.

Theodore Roosevelt Park(Gin Beach/Shagawong) in Montauk. As you head east down the beach there is a small point, and the beach starts to head south. That point is very rocky, and gets very tough to pass when the tide is in.

And, just north west of the Montauk Light House, near Money Pond, there are some trails, and some beach to ride. Lots of rocks, and the sand that is up on that side of the light house is like silt. Super SUPER soft.

Also, if youíre interested, there is a VW club on the island. You can look them up at www.livc.net.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Touaregman33 likes this.

Mike H
ridedirt311 is offline  
post #46 of 53 Old 04-16-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic
 
Touaregman33's Avatar
 
Touareg: 2004 V8
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Posts: 770
Thanks: 19
Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridedirt311 View Post
Itís the same terrain on the other side of the inlet at Sore Thumb. If you go down to 20psi, youíre plenty good. And, if you do happen to get stuck, you have some room to come down a bit more in pressure to help get yourself out. If you do happen to get stuck, try to back out of it. Reversing out works quite well. Donít sweat the guys in the big jeeps getting hemmed up. Most of those meatheads donít even air down.

Iíve done well over 500 miles on the outer beaches of LI over the past few years in my Touareg. Most of it solo. If you conservative you should have no troubles heading out alone. Not to mention, most of the outer beaches that lie furthest west tend to have people coming, and going fairly often. So, there is usually someone around to lend a friendly, helping hand. But, there are a few areas I would steer clear of if youíre solo.

The rocks at Moriches Inlet(Smith Point).

Hither Hills in Montauk. When the tide is in the beach gets very narrow, and the access road has quite a steep drop in. So as youíre heading east/west to cut 90 degrees to head north up the steep incline up to the access road seemed to be a bit of a challenge for the Touareg. Also take into consideration that I am running a VR6.

Theodore Roosevelt Park(Gin Beach/Shagawong) in Montauk. As you head east down the beach there is a small point, and the beach starts to head south. That point is very rocky, and gets very tough to pass when the tide is in.

And, just north west of the Montauk Light House, near Money Pond, there are some trails, and some beach to ride. Lots of rocks, and the sand that is up on that side of the light house is like silt. Super SUPER soft.

Also, if youíre interested, there is a VW club on the island. You can look them up at Long Island Volkswagen Club - A family oriented VW Club proudly serving the Long Island VW enthusiast since 1998.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I did find that reversing helped when that stupid Ford caused me to get stuck. But I did find that everyone trys to help each other. Even though the Ford that was stuck got me stuck, they did help me get out. I kinda got scared for a moment but it came right out.
That's crazy that you've gone so far on the beaches on LI. You must really love it. ( as do I )

You may have the VR6 but you have some meaty off road tires.Montauk is kinda far for me but, I do go out sometimes. I may have to venture out there one day to experience all of the beaches around here.
The only thing I hate about going to the beach is that I have to put my front plate on LOL to many cops by Captree.

Are you apart of that VW group? It seams like they are a grown up not like the ricer VW meets. I used to go to car meets all the time a few years ago when I had more time on my hands. I ran Audi_NY the biggest Audi club in NY and one of the first if not the first. But that was back in the day HAHA.
Touaregman33 is offline  
post #47 of 53 Old 04-16-2018
Touareg Enthusiast
 
ridedirt311's Avatar
 
Touareg: 2008 V6
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Long Island, NY, USA
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Posts: 172
Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touaregman33 View Post
I did find that reversing helped when that stupid Ford caused me to get stuck. But I did find that everyone trys to help each other. Even though the Ford that was stuck got me stuck, they did help me get out. I kinda got scared for a moment but it came right out.

That's crazy that you've gone so far on the beaches on LI. You must really love it. ( as do I )



You may have the VR6 but you have some meaty off road tires.Montauk is kinda far for me but, I do go out sometimes. I may have to venture out there one day to experience all of the beaches around here.

The only thing I hate about going to the beach is that I have to put my front plate on LOL to many cops by Captree.



Are you apart of that VW group? It seams like they are a grown up not like the ricer VW meets. I used to go to car meets all the time a few years ago when I had more time on my hands. I ran Audi_NY the biggest Audi club in NY and one of the first if not the first. But that was back in the day HAHA.


Iím with ya. We live in Ronkonkoma. So, heading out to the point is a bit of a trek. But, we do Smith Point a lot. Itís about 15 miles each time we go out. The miles rack up quick.

And, yes...the tires did help tremendously when it comes to the rocks. But, as long as you knock your air pressure down by 50% youíre good.

Iím not a member of LIVC. A friend is, and I do plan on joining. However, I am a member of LIBBA. That I would definitely suggestion joining if you plan on utilizing the outer beaches often.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Mike H
ridedirt311 is offline  
post #48 of 53 Old 04-16-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic
 
Touaregman33's Avatar
 
Touareg: 2004 V8
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Posts: 770
Thanks: 19
Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridedirt311 View Post
Iím with ya. We live in Ronkonkoma. So, heading out to the point is a bit of a trek. But, we do Smith Point a lot. Itís about 15 miles each time we go out. The miles rack up quick.

And, yes...the tires did help tremendously when it comes to the rocks. But, as long as you knock your air pressure down by 50% youíre good.

Iím not a member of LIVC. A friend is, and I do plan on joining. However, I am a member of LIBBA. That I would definitely suggestion joining if you plan on utilizing the outer beaches often.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Ronkonkoma is deff far, I'm in Merrick so it's about 50 miles round trip to democrat point. I'm pretty sure I'd get kicked out of LIBBA there code of ethics seam a little straight lined. What are the benefits of joining them? I will consider joining LIVC though, I would like to go to that annual meet. I have a few things I want to do to my truck first though...
Touaregman33 is offline  
post #49 of 53 Old 04-22-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic
 
Touaregman33's Avatar
 
Touareg: 2004 V8
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Posts: 770
Thanks: 19
Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts
First time at Sore thumb, Never realized how the trail goes up and down. Deff put her to the test LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3285.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	447.8 KB
ID:	212530  
ridedirt311 likes this.
Touaregman33 is offline  
post #50 of 53 Old 04-22-2018
Touareg Enthusiast
 
ridedirt311's Avatar
 
Touareg: 2008 V6
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Long Island, NY, USA
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Posts: 172
Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touaregman33 View Post
Ronkonkoma is deff far, I'm in Merrick so it's about 50 miles round trip to democrat point. I'm pretty sure I'd get kicked out of LIBBA there code of ethics seam a little straight lined. What are the benefits of joining them? I will consider joining LIVC though, I would like to go to that annual meet. I have a few things I want to do to my truck first though...


Same for me. Itís about 50 round trip.

LIBBA fights to keep beach access for those who love to drive on to the outer beaches whether it be to day trip, surf cast , or surf. They do beach clean ups, beach driving classes. And, theyíre also the ones that provided compressors, and equipment for the air stations at beaches like Demo, Smith Point, and Shagwong.

As far as LIVC goes, they meet at Black Forest Brew Haus in Farmingdale once a month. If Iím not mistaken, itís the last Thursday of every month.

Great pic of your rig, by the way.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Mike H
ridedirt311 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

VW Touareg News Delivered to your Email!

Stay up-to-date with Touareg news in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]