Non dual range off road - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums
 2Likes

Old 02-24-2019
Learner

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2015 V8 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevtheledge View Post
Thanks that was the sort of info I was looking Patr80l as I have purchased a 2014 4motion with the air suspension and just wanted to know if it was generally decent enough to take off road I drive a Toyota V8 Troopy everyday for work with a lot of off road stuff as part of my job and all my other 4x4 have been manual dual range just looking for some responses from people with real experience

QUOTE=Patr80l;2036407]I've said this before: an automatic with a relatively low first gear and electronic trickery will get you through.

I don't think I've ever needed low first to ascend in any of my various manual transmission vehicles (Landcruisers and Patrols). Low second was enough. An automatic with plenty of torque will creep up hills with ease. The torque converter will look after that.

I don't think an automatic is great for descents, with or without low range. Let the electronic hill descent use the brakes to look after that.

I've had a 2007 4XMotion TDI with steel springs and now drive a 2016 4Motion TDI with air suspension (The 4XMotion was no longer available here by 2016). Driver skill may compensate for fewer choices of ratios but it can't replace ground clearance.

and like others have said; it really depends on the tyres. I have a second set of rims with 18" General Grabbers for the bush. The 20" Pirellis stay at home.
[/QUOTE]
We’ve had the 4motion along on some of the very tricky rock crawling trails. Whilst the going was much slower for it, it got through most if it. Clearance is a an issue, but you have air. Put a good set of off road tyres and it will do you justice

V8 TDI R line MY15, White, Panoramic roof, VW towbar. Dynamic Road Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Traffic Reports, Google Earth enabled. All Led.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
Singh makes a really good point that really puts it in perspective.

Between air and low range, you will use and benefit from the air suspension more often.
Old 02-24-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevtheledge View Post
Thanks that was the sort of info I was looking Patr80l as I have purchased a 2014 4motion with the air suspension and just wanted to know if it was generally decent enough to take off road I drive a Toyota V8 Troopy everyday for work with a lot of off road stuff as part of my job and all my other 4x4 have been manual dual range just looking for some responses from people with real experience
Glad to help. Sounds like you've got the skill set. It will be just a matter of adapting to a different squeeze of the right foot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Kevtheledge,

2018 Treg muster in QLD had about 12 Touaregs, which were a mix of Touaregs with some with air some with low range and some with the Lot.

Well worth having alook at the 2018 Treg muster video which has footage of a number playing in the Imbil State Forest. All got through and had a great day. I would definately say that the Air Suspension is more important than Low Range. We tackled reasonably steep hills that alot would not have tried if non in a group with all getting through. 8 Speed gearbox low first and great hill desent . I 100% agree that although Low Range with Locking Diffs would get you further, The ones with no Low Range but with Air made it without touching underneath and coped really well.

Yes 2014 Was last of teh Low Range Option (I think Coight57) may have the last one that was sold.

If you have Air good Tyres , you will be amazed at just how capable they are. I have Had Cruisers, Prados, Pajeros and no think I would have got any further in these.

Keep an eye out for the 2019 Treg Muster as we hope to do NSW or Vic

2012 V6 TDI, 4XMotion, Cool Silver, Air Suspension, Area View and Sports Interior.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-26-2019
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V8
Since you don't have mountains to contend with, you will probably be fine without low range. Normally, I say don't leave home without it.

The newer Toauregs seem to have a lower 1st gear than the first 2 generations and in my experience, even my 2008 (6 speed slush box) seems to lock the torque converter when I am off the accelerator and going downhill. It offers excellent engine compression braking for an automatic transmission. That is one of the reasons I usually recommend low range. The other reason (extra torque from the actual low range gear) is addressed by the lower 1st gear in the newer transmissions.

So go have fun. And if you do get stuck, well, that's why you have friends with you.
:- )

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-27-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Some of my observations, having 4XMotion:
1. Yes, I could have done almost of all of my off-roading in high-range - you don't need low-range to do the Kimberley IMO; you don't need low-range to do the firetrails in the VIC/NSW alpine high country IMO - if you are a competent driver with 4Motion.
2. However, in 4xMotion, you cannot manually lock centre diff or rear diff unless you are in low-range: useful for those steep uphill fire trail inclines where lots of loose rocks make traction problematic. Not sure about locking diff(s) in 4Motion.
3. I have driven my 4XMotion all over our farm, which is pretty steep in many places - hi-range was good enough; and I only engaged low-range to crawl into and out of gullies and creek crossings.
4. IMO, the best benefit of low-range is having a low reverse - which is indeed very useful for reversing a caravan/boat/heavy trailer up a steep driveway - so much more control.

Could I live without low range, given the 8-speed box? Yes.

2012 V6 TDI180 4XMotion
air suspension, area view and sports interior (brushed aluminium trim, paddle shift, heated steering wheel, alloy pedals, privacy glass)
Cooper AT3 LT265/65R17 tyres, HR towbar, Rhino roof bars, bash plate by Dragline1570
VCDS software adaptation to disable useless Stop/Start function
Old 02-27-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
x2 on #4.

I used to have a very awkward, 90 degree, blind, width limited, uphill turn on loose gravel to negotiate with 2.5 tons on the car trailer - select reverse in low range and you can just tickle the throttle as you wind the lock on and off on the steering wheel. Makes tricky trailer manoeuvring a doddle.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
Old 04-09-2019

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Recently bought a 2014 Treg with air suspension but no dual range, and had it out on some tracks for the first time this weekend. I'm running 17s with new Pirelli Atr plus tyres. I'm not a super experienced off roader. The tracks were dry.

We did some hill climbs to see how the Treg stands up and I'm impressed by just how well it tractored up some very steep sections, with loose gravel/dust underfoot. Locking the centre diff did help with traction, but TBH I only used it once or twice as mostly the 4motion alone seemed to do very well. The auto trans managed very well, holding gears at low revs and letting all that torque do the work. Hill descent was excellent and always felt very controlled. I'm not sure dual range would have added much in this instance. Unfortunately no pics on hand but if I can get hold of some I'll upload them.

I'm confident the car is more capable than me, and I'm looking forward to stretching our limits further next time out. One thing about clearance: it seems the centre diff can't be locked with the suspension at the highest (Special Off Road) setting ��- a bit of a surprise to discover and something to keep in mind as I'd guess max clearance may well be needed when you'd also need max traction? All the same, I'm very impressed (as we're my Ford Ranger driving friends)
Old 04-09-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: too many to list
I haven't locked my diff yet, and I go on the beach lol. So light off roading haha.
Old 04-09-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewza View Post
Recently bought a 2014 Treg with air suspension but no dual range, and had it out on some tracks for the first time this weekend. I'm running 17s with new Pirelli Atr plus tyres. I'm not a super experienced off roader. The tracks were dry.

We did some hill climbs to see how the Treg stands up and I'm impressed by just how well it tractored up some very steep sections, with loose gravel/dust underfoot. Locking the centre diff did help with traction, but TBH I only used it once or twice as mostly the 4motion alone seemed to do very well. The auto trans managed very well, holding gears at low revs and letting all that torque do the work. Hill descent was excellent and always felt very controlled. I'm not sure dual range would have added much in this instance. Unfortunately no pics on hand but if I can get hold of some I'll upload them.

I'm confident the car is more capable than me, and I'm looking forward to stretching our limits further next time out. One thing about clearance: it seems the centre diff can't be locked with the suspension at the highest (Special Off Road) setting ��- a bit of a surprise to discover and something to keep in mind as I'd guess max clearance may well be needed when you'd also need max traction? All the same, I'm very impressed (as we're my Ford Ranger driving friends)
I didn't think the Torsen, 4Motion system could be locked?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in