Disappointing fuel economy '13 TDI while towing - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 24 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2013 V6 TDI
Disappointing fuel economy '13 TDI while towing

I have been towing my 6800 pound enclosed race car trailer with my '06 V8 Touareg for a few years now and have been getting 7-8mpg.
We recently bought a '13 TDI Touareg and I have towed the same trailer to two races now and the best so far has been 10.6 mpg. Terrain is rolling hills in Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma. Not a whole lot of elevation change. Was expecting 12-14 after reading lots of posts on this forum.
The other issue with towing with this TDI, is passing. First time I went to pass someone, was scary. Sure it down shifted to 4th, but then had no get up and go to make the pass like my V8 would.
Anybody tow with a similar weight trailer and notice the same issues? Since I bought this post fix, I have nothing to compare it to.

06 Touareg V8
13 Touareg Lux TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Old heap
Hi i tow a 7000lb enclosed race car trailer with my 04 v10 and get 17.7 to 18.9 mpg at around 70 to 75 mph and could not be more impressed.
post #3 of 24 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Get a tune. It will have get up an go then.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Supporting Member

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
My ‘13 exec TDI gets 10.5-11.5 mpg towing a 24’ x 8.5’ car trailer. Mileage is the same as an ‘03 Duramax.

I’d love to know how the V10 got better mileage.

Square front trailers have a lot of air drag. In fact I find it tough to go faster than 62 mph while towing this trailer.
post #5 of 24 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2013 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTDI View Post
My 13 exec TDI gets 10.5-11.5 mpg towing a 24 x 8.5 car trailer. Mileage is the same as an 03 Duramax.

Id love to know how the V10 got better mileage.

Square front trailers have a lot of air drag. In fact I find it tough to go faster than 62 mph while towing this trailer.
Mine is a 20' V-nose (22' 6"), so should get better mileage than a square front.

Did you tow with yours pre-fix?

06 Touareg V8
13 Touareg Lux TDI
post #6 of 24 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
5,500 lb. 13-14 in the mountains. 15-16 in the plains. 65 mph. Fuel economy nose dives at higher speeds. No difference pre and post-fix. Except for enormous DEF thirst post-fix when towing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160910_173608.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	666.5 KB
ID:	223375  

Gary, 13 TDI, Myakka City Florida
post #7 of 24 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Supporting Member

That's interesting. How many mile trip average is that?

I did a 1500 mile trip and couldn't get much better than 11 MPG. It makes me wonder if there's something wrong with the engine or trans.

Do you tow in Drive or Sport mode?

Unfortunately I bought my vehicle from the dealer last year post fix. I didn't think 10.5 MPG was unreasonable since the trailer is 24' and probably weighs 5000 lbs or so, and 10.5 MPG is what a Duramax got towing the same trailer.

I guess to be fair on the flat I was doing 60 - 65 MPH. However I can't remember if I got to 70 MPH ever (I might have).

Towing a smaller U-haul trailer I got 18 MPG which I thought was pretty good. But the big trailer has a lot of frontal area and drag so I thought 10.5 seemed average/normal.

I'd really like to know more about how you got 13-16 MPG. Perhaps there is something not operating properly on my vehicle.

I suspect there might be an efficiency hit in the 3.0L V6 for higher HP output compared to the older V10s which have (I think) dual turbos and more cylinders to extract power from... but to me it'd be hard to imagine better than pickup truck efficiencies from a 5.0L pulling a large enclosed trailer. I would think drag takes HP to over come and there isn't much of a way around it.Then again maybe I'm missing something here....
post #8 of 24 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I've towed that rig 34,000 miles of the 74,000 now on the car (with zero repairs BTW). 2,000 lb aluminum V-nose trailer with 3,500 lb load. Atlantic to Pacific and Gulf to Great Lakes multiple times by all routes. Nothing changes. Always in D, except for downhill engine braking. Set the cruise control and relax in the right lane.

The trailer is not as tall as some (mid-height of the three Trailex options), so somewhat less frontal area than a full height trailer.

I don't believe the V10 can come anywhere close to the V6 in fuel economy.

Are you sure your trailer brakes aren't dragging?

Gary, 13 TDI, Myakka City Florida
post #9 of 24 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWRalf View Post
I have been towing my 6800 pound enclosed race car trailer with my '06 V8 Touareg for a few years now and have been getting 7-8mpg.
We recently bought a '13 TDI Touareg and I have towed the same trailer to two races now and the best so far has been 10.6 mpg. Terrain is rolling hills in Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma. Not a whole lot of elevation change. Was expecting 12-14 after reading lots of posts on this forum.
The other issue with towing with this TDI, is passing. First time I went to pass someone, was scary. Sure it down shifted to 4th, but then had no get up and go to make the pass like my V8 would.
Anybody tow with a similar weight trailer and notice the same issues? Since I bought this post fix, I have nothing to compare it to.
What kind of speed are you cruising at?
Does the tranny shift all the way into 8th, or are you holding 6th\7th?
I towed a TT (way less aero than you) at a suspected ~4500 lbs and got 13mpg cruising at 68mph manually shifting to 8th.
I would suspect you should get close to 12mpg with a somewhat aero trailer if you're staying close to the 60mph speed.
post #10 of 24 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Old heap
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTDI View Post
My ‘13 exec TDI gets 10.5-11.5 mpg towing a 24’ x 8.5’ car trailer. Mileage is the same as an ‘03 Duramax.

I’d love to know how the V10 got better mileage.

Hi i have had a tune the EGR, muffler and secondary cats have been deleted also our gallons are larger than yours.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode