Disappointing fuel economy '13 TDI while towing - Page 4 - Club Touareg Forums
 3Likes

post #31 of 62 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
OMFG...... so you're driving a vehicle that has a CEL on and are wondering why it's not performing at optimal levels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 62 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawtooth View Post
Yeah someone is smoking crack. A V10 will get no where close to that running that weight. If they did everyone would buy them. The best diesels in the world canít even touch those numbers towing a 7k trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It's not the weight that's the biggest factor once you get moving.... it's the aero drag.......
He was pulling a race trailer, which depending on type and model could be a lot lower and more aerodynamic than a boxy 12' one....
He's got a lot more TQ, and thus different gearing, and potentially lower revs as a result...... and probably towing over flat grounds....
There's also the Imperial vs US........

Overall, sounds feasible depending on a lot of potential variables
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	223913  
post #33 of 62 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Old heap
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
It's not the weight that's the biggest factor once you get moving.... it's the aero drag.......
He was pulling a race trailer, which depending on type and model could be a lot lower and more aerodynamic than a boxy 12' one....
He's got a lot more TQ, and thus different gearing, and potentially lower revs as a result...... and probably towing over flat grounds....
There's also the Imperial vs US........

Overall, sounds feasible depending on a lot of potential variables
Thanks for the sensible input TurboABA i have been towing race car trailers for over 30years and this vehicle is by far the best on fuel, when traveling at 60 mph i am hardly touching the throttle, i let the speed increase down hills so it has momentum to get up the hills without using to much power the trailer is aerodynamic but still large enough to fit a quad bike and sprintcar. this is a fantastic forum when people put in honest information to help others, the remark about smoking crack by sawtooth indicates to me his level of intelligence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 62 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V8 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughan Manders View Post
Thanks for the sensible input TurboABA i have been towing race car trailers for over 30years and this vehicle is by far the best on fuel, when traveling at 60 mph i am hardly touching the throttle, i let the speed increase down hills so it has momentum to get up the hills without using to much power the trailer is aerodynamic but still large enough to fit a quad bike and sprintcar. this is a fantastic forum when people put in honest information to help others, the remark about smoking crack by sawtooth indicates to me his level of intelligence.

Well I have to agree on your last sentence. Should have looked that engine up before commenting on that post. Iím a old Ford guy so my first thought was V10 gas. I forgot that the VW V10 was a TDI as well. I stand corrected and thank you.

Love my 2016 TDI as I get 29-31 on the hwy (not towing). Iíve towed a 5k trailer a couple times but only less than 100 miles so no real numbers yet as far as fuel usage goes.

Vaughan Manders likes this.

2016 Touareg TDI Lux
post #35 of 62 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Supporting Member

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawtooth View Post
Yeah someone is smoking crack. A V10 will get no where close to that running that weight. If they did everyone would buy them. The best diesels in the world can’t even touch those numbers towing a 7k trailer.

To me that's a it depends sort of thing. I can see a V10 being more efficient at a very specific sweet spot towing. On a V6 the total air moving through the engine moves faster per piston than a V10 so its possible a V10 can extract a little more efficiency. A lot today probably depends on the turbo trim and setup.

As a side note I've been in a Quad Cab King Ranch F250 pulling a 3K lb goose neck trailer with my Mk4 Jetta on it (so about 7K lbs) and 14.5 MPG average from PA to Chicago.

the Drag of a car trailer changes economy big time. Fd = 1/2 A * rho * V^2 the V^2 makes a huge difference for only a small change in velocity.
post #36 of 62 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
NTDI
They changed all the fluids and filters, filled tires, checked on everything. However, they were missing a part to fix the NO2 sensor. Scheduled next week. Would this effect mpg?

I'm not sure if the Touaregs have an N02 sensor (they might). But I'm sure they have an O2 sensor (or two). O2 sensors can certainly effect the economy. A lot has to do with the base tune, altitude and the amount they are relying on the O2 sensor to optimize the a/f ratio.

Also what gears were you towing in and at what speed in each gear (were you in Sport mode)?
post #37 of 62 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Second Vehicle: too many to list
In my experience my Touareg V10 got better fuel mileage towing than my V6 TDI in either the T2 or T3. This is me actually towing with these vehicles extensively, not internet bullshit.

Personally I did not like the V6 TDI for towing, thought it to be really undesirable. For me the V6 TDI is the ultimate SUV engine...except for towing. Fuel economy towing in anything for the most part sucks...this is from my experience towing in Touaregs, F250/350 6.4 and 6.7 diesels and the latest 6.6 Duramax. Sorry to say it about the V6 TDI, but to me its never been a towing engine, its the ultimate road engine... feel free to flame away.
TurdBurgler likes this.

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
post #38 of 62 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm View Post
In my experience my Touareg V10 got better fuel mileage towing than my V6 TDI in either the T2 or T3. This is me actually towing with these vehicles extensively, not internet bullshit.

Personally I did not like the V6 TDI for towing, thought it to be really undesirable. For me the V6 TDI is the ultimate SUV engine...except for towing. Fuel economy towing in anything for the most part sucks...this is from my experience towing in Touaregs, F250/350 6.4 and 6.7 diesels and the latest 6.6 Duramax. Sorry to say it about the V6 TDI, but to me its never been a towing engine, its the ultimate road engine... feel free to flame away.
You haven’t really qualified what you towed, how far or under what conditions.
post #39 of 62 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm View Post
You have to be realistic and have realistic performance\towing expectations about what you are using, for what purpose.
The V6 had sufficient grunt for light towing, and plenty for moving the "pig" that is the Touareg.
Clearly, if you add a massive wind brake to the existing pig, or another pig that's just as heavy or heavier, your experience will deteriorate.

For weekend\occasional towing of some toys or a TT, it's sufficient and acceptable. If you're doing full time heavy\big loads, then you could definitely use something with +35-50% the TQ. Given the capability and MPGs that it delivers, it is my opinion that it's a very well suited engine for the vehicle that it resides in.....

You need to use the right tool for the right job.... if you need to tow big, get a dually and throw the MPGs out the window.
post #40 of 62 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Second Vehicle: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTDI View Post
You havenít really qualified what you towed, how far or under what conditions.
Yeah..you can follow my several hundred towing threads on here over the past decade. Towed everything from a Jayco 25' camper trailer, several different boats, a 31' camper trailer with the V10 and everything in between. I was towing with these things before most on here even knew what a Touareg was.

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« Power to trailer | - »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode