Details of programming changes that come with factory installed tow package - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Details of programming changes that come with factory installed tow package

I have a 2016 TDI and I have read here on the forum that when the tow package is factory installed there are programming changes that alter engine and other functions (shift changes, fans etc). I would like to know if there is a list where these changes are detailed? I assume that they are included in all Touaregs with the tow package and not just available on the higher end models. Specifically I am wondering if the programming changes include stability control for the trailer? The ESC obviously helps the Touareg itself but wondered if maybe part of the programmatic tow package changes there is programming that would sense sway in trailer and then engage trailer brakes to diminish this. I know there are some vehicles out there that have this capability but it’s not clear to me whether my Touareg has it. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
AFAIK the ESP mapping is changed when it detects a trailer attached, but the changes affect the response at the four Touareg brakes/wheels - not the trailer brakes/wheels.

2015 (16MY) Touareg SE 258 bhp
post #3 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
What you are suggesting that other vehicle have seems unrealistic... the braking system on the TT is very simple (since the single BLUE signal wire from the brake controller) , unlike that of a modern vehicle, which has all sorts of sensors and the ability to apply\pulse individual "wheel corners"..... your TT activates all brake shoes at the same time (on one or on all "braked" axles)... it does not have wheel speed sensors, abs, etc. in order to be able to recover itself if things get hairy.

If you are experiencing "flaky" towing, you're setup incorrectly with whatever WDH you're using, you're overloaded, or you're towing something that's way too big in terms of surface area for the Touareg's weight\wheel base.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Guru

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
The fan wattage is only an issue for some people in parts of Europe who did not specify a factory fit tow hitch.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #5 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

There are trailer mounted sway control devices that can be used on trailers that connect through the 7 pin. Some can only activate all trailer breaks at once but others are able to read the sway and break only a particular wheel. I am just trying to find out what the actual features are that are included in the programming changes found with the factory tow package.
post #6 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstyles View Post
There are trailer mounted sway control devices that can be used on trailers that connect through the 7 pin. Some can only activate all trailer breaks at once but others are able to read the sway and break only a particular wheel. I am just trying to find out what the actual features are that are included in the programming changes found with the factory tow package.

It would be the trailer-mounted device's manufacturer who has the responsibility of ensuring that it works safely with the towcar's automatic ESP.

In Europe, the most common trailer stability systems apply the brakes to all the trailer wheels but work completely independently of the ESP on the towing vehicle.

2015 (16MY) Touareg SE 258 bhp
post #7 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Mechanic

I love it when those without sufficient knowledge ask for advice\opinions and then not only disregard them, but they actually tell those who are trying to help them how it really is..... if you already know better than the rest of us, you shouldn't be asking.

Now, read carefully what I typed.
Since you're not providing specific details or links to a specific product, I will have to just give you an example of one that I know of.....

As said in my initial post, the existing system on a trailer is very simple.
Notice how this "piggy back" system, needs to be wired to the individual trailer axles\wheels to allow it the ability to individually brake specific wheels.

Pay attention to the system description which also tells you that the system includes all kinds of sensors and microprocessors.......
Notice how this system DOES NOT feed back into the vehicle stability control (or whatever it is called on each specific tow vehicle), but it works in CONJUNCTION with it...... remember that 7pin connector with only ONE BLUE BRAKE WIRE...... you can't have all this back and forth communication with the Touareg's ECU for it to try to attempt to sort out what's happening with the trailer and to send individual signals and brake\correction instructions to individual trailer wheels using this SINGLE WIRE.... it can only control the Touareg's behavior due to it's advanced brake system. Once again, these are add-on, piggy back systems that basically enhance\update the trailers simple brake system to a smarter, ABS like system.

Also notice how they had to add ballast to the trailer and do all sorts of maneuvers to induce the trailer sway. Once again, see my initial post about how you have another problem if you're experiencing sway.... improper loads, tongue weight, shifting loads, etc..... Most factory built trailers on this side of the pond will have 10-15% TW for stability\safety reasons. Overload the trailer or load everything in the rear of it, and you'll drastically change that balance.
post #8 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Mechanic

One other important thing to review\look at, is your brake controller setup\operation, especially if you're pulling something heavy. (same, or heavier than the Touareg). The brake controller manual "override" (slider on most controllers) allows you to apply the trailer brakes only which can help stabilize a trailer that is starting to "wag".... it's hard to give you advise on best practices without knowing when\how you are experiencing sway, or if you're just attempting to take precautions, etc. because you're paranoid or have seen videos of accidents, etc.
post #9 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

“I love it when those without sufficient knowledge ask for advice\opinions and then not only disregard them, but they actually tell those who are trying to help them how it really is..... if you already know better than the rest of us, you shouldn't be asking.”

Ouch! Dude, chill out....

As my original post states, I wanted to see if anyone had a detailed list of what the programmatic changes are that come with the factory tow package. I also mentioned a specific question I had about the stability control and how that interacted with the stability control for trailer. I have see lots of things written with regard to this on the internet and wanted to get what I thought was a more authoritative opinion (this forum) on this issue. I am not trying to push back but merely pointing out something I had seen as I thought it might be helpful for those who could address my question. I now have a better understanding of the answer to my latter question. I still would like to get a detailed list of things (irrespective of the stability control) that are impacted by the factory tow package programming.

I have posted several other times on this forum and have found the experience to be pleasant and the responses to be very helpful. I haven’t experienced aggressive comments like this before so I am gonna chalk it up to someone having a bad day and continue to participate in the forum as the reason I post is because I don’t have “sufficient knowledge” and am trying to educate myself.
Have a nice day!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode