Converting TS rear coils to air bags for level towing - Page 3 - Club Touareg Forums

post #21 of 32 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Supporting Member

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Also... why do they have a do not weld sticker on them? Are they actually hear treating the hitch.... or is it that their design is so perfect it must be left exactly auch to do it’s job (all rhetorical)....

It seems obvious they over designed and are a little full of themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
Well, I prefer driving a non-saggy Touareg, but to each their own. I also prefer not having to deal with stacking wooden blocks or deal with spring bars on a WD hitch. I prefer being able to stiffen up the rear shocks if I want. For me, it's worth $1.6k on a $30k SUV to add air suspension because I bought my Touareg specifically for towing. I missed having the benefits that my Range Rover with air suspension had. I'm sure I'm not the only one that wishes their Touareg had air suspension.

I attached photos of the Range Rover tow hitch, and Touareg hitch. The RR hitch attaches to the frame end cap, and the frame, for better moment resisting. The Touareg hitch only attaches to the end caps. You can justify to yourself that there are typos in the manual, and the chassis is "probably" identical to previous models... Per the owners manual, and you can tell by looking at it, the hitch isn't optimized to handle bending loads. This is why VW makes a specific (extremely short) ball receiver just for the Touareg. This is why companies weld on extensions to the Touareg hitch (3rd photo) to handle the bending loads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWRalf View Post
Spending $1600 on a lifting air bag system just so you don't have to place a few blocks of wood on your driveway or have the rear end sag a little seems a bit excessive to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71oTHAFpJ1L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	223517   Click image for larger version

Name:	499253_x800.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	223523  

Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch reinforcement 3.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	503.9 KB
ID:	223525  

2014 Touareg Tdi

'03 Range Rover HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

90kw Siemens AC induction motor
Home built drive inverter
33kWh Lithium pack
90k electric miles since 2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to etischer For This Useful Post:
Built4Sin (2 Weeks Ago)
post #23 of 32 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Garage
Perhaps safety standards have been updated, and the '13+ Touareg no longer has sufficient factor of safety? Who knows? There is a reason they went through the effort to change the decal, (WD rating removed, TW reduced from 770lb to 616lb) and a new part number created.

Unibody is designed to be light weight (passenger cars), body on frame is designed to be heavy duty (trucks).
I'm not saying unibody is bad, I'm saying it may be the reason a WD hitch cannot be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTDI View Post
The 11 and 12 decal have weight distributing hitch placards where tongue weight and max tow for both Wd and non WD appear. The 13 hitch makes no mention of WD, yet the hitch and bolts appear to remain the same.

As someone else posted, I doubt they went through the hassle and cost to make a design change and all the paperwork required to cheapen up the hitch mount. In reality they probably kept making the same chassis and simply changed the placard to reduce liability and risk exposure.

Why is a sheet metal unibody a bad thing? Its just engineering.

2014 Touareg Tdi

'03 Range Rover HSE

33kWh Lithium pack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Supporting Member

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
I understand. I’d love to put air suspension on all 4 corners. The controls were my worry especially towing with WD hitch (auto level and such).

As to the hitch moment. The WD reduces the moment under normal conditions compared to non WD hitch. I think VW was remis allowing a 600 lb tongue weight on non airbag equipped vehicles (with non WD hitch). I suppose some sag is normal.

On a different note. Where did you buy the air shocks and how much were they?

Does your system work with the stock ride height valve?
post #25 of 32 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Garage
I imagine I could control 4 corners without much extra effort or cost, the program would be the same front/rear; just a copy/paste.

I bought my rear air springs on eBay, one was $280 with 63k miles, the other was $236 with 45k miles. I got them for ~ $100 cheaper than the auction listing by making an offer. There were cheaper ones out there, but I wanted ones with low miles. Everything else I bought new (lines, fittings, compressor, valve bank, PLC, power supplies...) I'm using the stock VW valve bank.

My rough calculations:
Assuming ball to chassis = 1 foot, the moment from 500lbs on the ball = -500 ft*lbs.
Now with a WD hitch w. 3 foot long spring bars, the moment is (390lbs * 4') = +1500 ft*lbs
Net moment is 1000 ft*lbs vs. 500 ft*lbs.

Again, real rough calcs but to me even under the most optimistic circumstance (just looking at static loading on a level road) the moment using a WD hitch is 2x. Once you factor in dynamic loading like going across a dip in the road or up a steep driveway (where trailer and vehicle make a V), the WD moment is probably much higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTDI View Post
I understand. Id love to put air suspension on all 4 corners. The controls were my worry especially towing with WD hitch (auto level and such).

As to the hitch moment. The WD reduces the moment under normal conditions compared to non WD hitch. I think VW was remis allowing a 600 lb tongue weight on non airbag equipped vehicles (with non WD hitch). I suppose some sag is normal.

On a different note. Where did you buy the air shocks and how much were they?

Does your system work with the stock ride height valve?

2014 Touareg Tdi

'03 Range Rover HSE

33kWh Lithium pack

post #26 of 32 Old 2 Weeks Ago

I tow with mine and use a WD hitch, but I admit airbags in the back would be nice...probably $400-500 nice. But awesome work, very impressed.
post #27 of 32 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Garage
Here's a break down of cost, and list of parts now that the project is fairly complete and functional.
$1400 in parts + $70 programming license.

http://etischer.com/touareg/airsuspension/TAS%20BOM.pdf

2014 Touareg Tdi

'03 Range Rover HSE

33kWh Lithium pack

post #28 of 32 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by etischer View Post
Here's a break down of cost, and list of parts now that the project is fairly complete and functional.
$1400 in parts + $70 programming license.

http://etischer.com/touareg/airsuspension/TAS%20BOM.pdf
I may have missed it but does the Siemens unit raise and lower the vehicle as well?

post #29 of 32 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Garage
Yes, the Siemens PLC (programmable logic controller) is the ECU that controls everything. It measures the ride heights & pressures; and controls the valves & compressor. Im only controlling the rear suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChunknorris View Post
I may have missed it but does the Siemens unit raise and lower the vehicle as well?

2014 Touareg Tdi

'03 Range Rover HSE

33kWh Lithium pack

post #30 of 32 Old 1 Week Ago

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by etischer View Post
Yes, the Siemens PLC (programmable logic controller) is the ECU that controls everything. It measures the ride heights & pressures; and controls the valves & compressor. Im only controlling the rear suspension.
Excellent and thank you. I've seen specific controllers for ride height and I believe Accuair makes a plug in kit as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode