2012 Touareg: Towing wiring question - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 11 Old 05-19-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2008 V6
2012 Touareg: Towing wiring question

After missing my T2 Touareg and hating my F150 I'm thinking about getting a 12-13 TDI to solve my basic towing needs (4400 lb boat) and (5500 boat).

When I see the OEM hitch on these newer Touaregs do they come with factory wiring and if so what can you tell me about it. I'll be using a prodigy wireless controller but am not sure while doing my shopping research if I'm going to need an aftermarket or OEM wiring solution even knowing I'm seeing rides with the receiver hitch.

thx.

2008 V6 Lux+ Pkg with factory towing
Alaska grey
Delaware, Ohio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-20-2019

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
If it was equipped with the factory tow package, then it should have all the wiring. If not then you might need some extra parts.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 Old 05-20-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFW View Post
If it was equipped with the factory tow package, then it should have all the wiring. If not then you might need some extra parts.

Thanks. I'll assume if he has an OEM hitch then that is the factory tow package option. Do they add a port believe the hatch for the 5 & 7 pin connections?

Alaska grey
Delaware, Ohio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-20-2019

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
I would look up the build sheet off of the VIN. Anyone can bolt on an OEM hitch. Does not mean the wiring has been added. There might be other things added as well. I forget on the Touareg, but my 2014 Q7 tow package also added a trans cooler I believe.

post #5 of 11 Old 05-20-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFW View Post
I would look up the build sheet off of the VIN. Anyone can bolt on an OEM hitch. Does not mean the wiring has been added. There might be other things added as well. I forget on the Touareg, but my 2014 Q7 tow package also added a trans cooler I believe.

True but since more then half I see online have it...I'm inclined to believe most are the OEM and do have the upgraded fans/cooling. For those that have the true option is there both a a 5/7 pin accessible down below like my T2 had? Thx.

Alaska grey
Delaware, Ohio
post #6 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

You should see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboncow View Post
Thanks. I'll assume if he has an OEM hitch then that is the factory tow package option. Do they add a port believe the hatch for the 5 & 7 pin connections?
If you see a 7-pin connector to the left of the hitch, most likely the tow package is installed. A build sheet, original sticker (maybe VIN decoder?) or VCDS scan will tell you if the trailer module is installed. Youíll need to get on the ground to see the plug.

If you have the tow package, you should have brake controller wiring under the dash. I installed the tow package on my Ď11. It didnít have the controller wiring. If yours doesnít have the controller wiring for some reason, you can add it easily. Thereís a thread. With the prodigy wireless, you donít need it.

I had and returned a Prodigy wireless. If you have all of the wiring, Iíd wire up a standard controller, personally.You can buy custom wiring looms on eBay to make it fully plug-and-play. I lost wireless connection one time early on with the prodigy and that was enough for me. I do understand some folks have great luck with the wireless controller.
post #7 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
post #8 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodster5000 View Post
If you see a 7-pin connector to the left of the hitch, most likely the tow package is installed. A build sheet, original sticker (maybe VIN decoder?) or VCDS scan will tell you if the trailer module is installed. Youíll need to get on the ground to see the plug.

If you have the tow package, you should have brake controller wiring under the dash. I installed the tow package on my Ď11. It didnít have the controller wiring. If yours doesnít have the controller wiring for some reason, you can add it easily. Thereís a thread. With the prodigy wireless, you donít need it.

I had and returned a Prodigy wireless. If you have all of the wiring, Iíd wire up a standard controller, personally.You can buy custom wiring looms on eBay to make it fully plug-and-play. I lost wireless connection one time early on with the prodigy and that was enough for me. I do understand some folks have great luck with the wireless controller.
Great info....

So I am to believe that they put the OEM hitch on these but in many cased didn't include the wiring? Seems insane. I see many w/o any hitch but 85% of them I look at have a hitch but the sellers are unsure of the wiring in most cases.

I looked at one today and forgot to look for the plug or the build sheet. Will email the seller for info.

FYI VIN lookups never show options...atleast from what I can tell. I"m sure the dealer might have more resources but we are talking bout VW dealers. Not the most informed bunch from my experience!

Alaska grey
Delaware, Ohio
post #9 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Logically, if you have the tow package, the controller wiring would exist in your car. I canít say with certainty it does. Unclear if VW only omits the controller wiring where the car doesnít have factory tow, or thereís some other criteria. If it doesnít, controller wiring is four wires. Ground, Battery from the front and brake signal and brake power send from the right rear corner. Oversimplified.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #10 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodster5000 View Post
Logically, if you have the tow package, the controller wiring would exist in your car. I canít say with certainty it does. Unclear if VW only omits the controller wiring where the car doesnít have factory tow, or thereís some other criteria. If it doesnít, controller wiring is four wires. Ground, Battery from the front and brake signal and brake power send from the right rear corner. Oversimplified.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I would agree with what you are saying. Why go to the hassle (at the factory) to put a recover on it and not have it fully ready.

I take it these controllers are just a module that integrate and has a map (or changes the ECU/TCM map) to let it know there is something getting towed back there?

Alaska grey
Delaware, Ohio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode