What to buy v10 or v6 - Page 2 - Club Touareg Forums

post #11 of 16 Old 11-04-2018
Learner

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2015 V8 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
I was just wondering what mpg people get on the v10 as it shows about 4mpg lower than the v6 and was wondering if this was correct it states 28 mpg max
This is from my trip today, started off in sydney traffic, about 30mins and then two hours on highway at 120kmph and then 20 mins in country town and surrounds.
Running offroad open tread tyres, two people and about 100kgs in luggage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E1D936A5-D3EC-4007-8A33-CDC3BD8EE48B_1541337824635.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	435.6 KB
ID:	219113  

V8 TDI R line MY15, White, Panoramic roof, VW towbar. Dynamic Road Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Traffic Reports, Google Earth enabled. All Led.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 11-07-2018

Saw an interesting V10 on sfbay craigs....
post #13 of 16 Old 11-07-2018

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Fuel mpg on mine is around 18 city/22-26 hwy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 Old 11-07-2018

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
The maintenance of the V10 can be much more involved than you might think. Many seemingly straightforward repairs require the engine out.

I’ve got one in the garage with what I’m fairly sure is a bad cylinder wall lining. Love the vehicle, just not sure it’s worth fixing. So it can be a little bit of a risk it that repair is more than the vehicle cost to buy.

If you decide to go that way, do your homework and enjoy the ride!
post #15 of 16 Old 11-08-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
I'm a confirmed V10 owner with about 330,000 miles on it and I get right at 21 MPG both city and highway. I've had it for 6 years. They run powerful, they run long. They are overkill.

I do a lot of the maintenance and repair work on this car myself, otherwise I couldn't afford it. If I had taken it to the dealer when the ride height sensors went out I'm sure it would have been thousands. Or when the brittle plastic vacuum lines on the brake booster cracked, that would have been several hundred. Or the window regulator ... probably a grand to fix. The center bearing and all the "normal" issues with all Touaregs - another couple grand. It takes 14 quarts of oil, so every oil change is an adventure.

So yes they can be expensive to own, and the older this one gets the more expensive it'll be. Face it, my car is 14 years old now and a 14 year old car of any type is going to start costing you more in maintenance - and it's really showing its age. I have seriously thought about selling the V10 and getting a 2016 V6. Much newer car, much nicer amenities, better features, and for what I do probably function just as well.

Then I go drive The Beast and instantly change my mind. So much fun to wind that thing up and hit the hills. I'll continue to keep it maintained and going. The seats are wearing through and I'll probably get custom leather done (I've got the teak and they're impossible to get anymore).

And now honesty ...
If TODAY I didn't own either one and had to choose between a 14 year-old V10 and a two year old V6 ... I'd probably take the V6.

David W. Allen, GISP

2004 Touareg V10 TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
1974 Thing
post #16 of 16 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EulessDave View Post
And now honesty ...
If TODAY I didn't own either one and had to choose between a 14 year-old V10 and a two year old V6 ... I'd probably take the V6.
Well since I wrote those words, my situation has changed. The V10 developed some brake issues with the vacuum hoses and a lot of fault codes popped up. I decided to go ahead and upgrade to a 2015 V6 TDI (RSI) and I've been driving that since about last November (and haven't been able to post too much). Here's my NEW thoughts on the two models, since I now own and drive both.

The V10 is a diesel truck with a lot of luxury car features.
The V6 is a luxury car with a lot of diesel truck features.

The V6 - gets better mileage, still fantastic pick up and towing capacity, LOVE the giant sunroof, hate putting AdBlue in.
The V10 - LOVE LOVE LOVE the air suspension, I had installed an upgraded radio unit, but the seats are wearing out, and mileage not as good, but FANTASTIC POWER. Just took big $ hit on repairs.

With both cars running in great condition - and I had to sell one of them tomorrow - I'd sell the V6.

The V10 is a cult car and once you have it you can't give it up. (But I'm keeping both for now)

And I think we're just a few posts away from NT hitting 20,000 posts.

David W. Allen, GISP

2004 Touareg V10 TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
1974 Thing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode