What makes the T3 worth it? - Club Touareg Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Badspelir
  • 1 Post By saleemtaj
  • 1 Post By NTDI
  • 1 Post By nickm

post #1 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

What makes the T3 worth it?

Hi everyone, I've been reading these forums for a while but I decided to make this post because I think my question is unique enough.

I am currently cross shopping two used cars: a 2011-2013 Subaru Forester XT and a T3. The main reason I'm cross shopping these two cars is because I'm pretty tall (6'5"/~195cm) with an even split torso/legs. Legroom is easy to accommodate but headroom is a different story when you're also really wanting that sweet pano sunroof. I've tried just about every SUV you can think of (even the newer Forester had its headroom reduced and I no longer fit).

I've test driven both and am having a very difficult time deciding. I would say the things that are most important to me are: not having an underpowered engine, pano sunroof, ability to lightly offroad, and automatic climate control.

I know the T3 comes with a price premium and more expensive repairs. My question is, what about it makes it worth it for you? And what are some lesser known pitfalls you guys think I might not be realizing about buying a 5-7 year old luxury SUV? Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2017 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
Not sure if this will help, but I am also 6’5” and the main reason why I have my 2017 Touareg is the headroom. I had a 2016 ram (no sunroof) that I had to slouch a little bit to drive. This wasn’t usually a problem because I slouch a lot while driving. It got annoying not being able to sit up straight on longer drives. When my wife bought her Q5 and I could raise the seat up from the bottom set point and still have plenty of headroom, I decided it was time for the ram to go.

My dad has a base model 2016 forester that has more than enough room for me, but I really hate driving that soulless appliance. I know the Subaru is the more practical choice, but I’m happy with the Touareg.
plumpplatypus likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Badspelir For This Useful Post:
plumpplatypus (3 Weeks Ago)
post #3 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumpplatypus View Post
Hi everyone, I've been reading these forums for a while but I decided to make this post because I think my question is unique enough.

I am currently cross shopping two used cars: a 2011-2013 Subaru Forester XT and a T3. The main reason I'm cross shopping these two cars is because I'm pretty tall (6'5"/~195cm) with an even split torso/legs. Legroom is easy to accommodate but headroom is a different story when you're also really wanting that sweet pano sunroof. I've tried just about every SUV you can think of (even the newer Forester had its headroom reduced and I no longer fit).

I've test driven both and am having a very difficult time deciding. I would say the things that are most important to me are: not having an underpowered engine, pano sunroof, ability to lightly offroad, and automatic climate control.

I know the T3 comes with a price premium and more expensive repairs. My question is, what about it makes it worth it for you? And what are some lesser known pitfalls you guys think I might not be realizing about buying a 5-7 year old luxury SUV? Thanks everyone!

may be reading his article might entice you
https://carbuzz.com/news/this-is-why...suv-ever-built
The Following User Says Thank You to saleemtaj For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Supporting Member

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Great question(s). I'm 6'1" and never gave a thought to how I fit in my '13 TDI Exec.

What makes the T3 worth it is the overall experience in my opinion. To me a lot depends on how you view cars. Is a car an appliance or something that you are enthusiastic about?

Which level of Touareg trim are we talking?

The costs and experience will vary across the trim lines. But... all the T3s have 4 wheel Brembo 4 piston brakes. A complete brake job is at least $400-$500 USD in parts alone to do all 4 corners (dealer quoted me $1200 when I bought the car, I did the brakes on my own in about 4 hours). Tires can be $200-$300 USD each depending on wheel size and tire choice (I run the factory Michelin 275/45/R20 as they just work really well). Oil changes can be $60 to $120 USD for just supplies depending on whether you have the V6 or the TDI. There is a lot of 100K + mile maintenance VW recommends that I'm sure many people don't do but can be costly for the dealer to do (brake flush, tire rotations, antifreeze flush, etc...)

In my opinion the driving experience in a Touareg is just sporty. Most of the time I forget I'm in an SUV and drive it like it's a sports car (Read: A3 or A4 Audi). The only time I have to remember it's an SUV and not a sports car is around turns where it has a higher Center of Gravity and pushing turns tends to wear the outside edge of the tires a little. Not a big deal if you're having fun.

If experience isn't important to you the Subaru may accomplish your mission. In my case I wanted a nice interior, Diesel engine and the ability to tow 7700 lbs, while still being able to drive it like a car not a truck. Overall I'm quite happy with my '13 TDI Exec. It does everything I need it to do. I bought mine with 76K and it has been mostly maintenance free over the last 20K miles of ownership. I put brakes on it right away (ceramic pads etc), recently replaced two tires due to some road debris destroying one tire, and the second tire being worn more than the rest. I've done two oil changes with Mobil 1 ESP oil and replaced two tire pressure sensors.

The Auto AC is pretty nice especially with split zone and lock mode where you can adjust both sides together. I pretty much set the temp I want and it hits the number. On a bright summer sunny day I set the A/C down 2-3 degrees to be a bit cooler. Works great.

Light Off road the AWD and traction control system is really nice. I think for any real off road I'd switch to all terrains or a dedicated off road mud tire on a spare set of wheels. The Michelin street tires that are standard with the Exec are not that great for anything more than casual off road. But I've been able to go up a steep muddy hill at slow speed in off road mode no problem. Not sure how it'd work pulling a trailer... again off road tires would be better if I did a lot of that.

The pano sunroof is really nice. I love the shade that's on it. Makes me forget I have a sunroof when its not open.
The Following User Says Thank You to NTDI For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies guys! I think I just needed some reassurance about the decision.

NTDI brought up a good point too about the brakes and the 20k mostly trouble free miles even though it's nearing 100k.

What are some maintenance and repairs that you guys have had since you've had your cars that took you off guard as being quite a bit more than your average Toyota SUV for example? And would you say the T3 is overall about as reliable as you'd like? A lot of the yearly repair averages I read about include the T1 but I've read the T1 is much more troublesome than the T3 and am wondering your guys experience about that portion.
post #6 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Supporting Member

I just get in and go.

I guess it depends what you mean when you say average Toyota. Toyota normally recommends scheduled maintenance. As does VW. If you follow the recommendations in general you should be fixing things before they leave you sit.

With that said what is your life expectancy of your used vehicle purchase? Do you plan to put 100K on it before trade in or 500K?

Do you tend to avoid all maintenance until something breaks or do you proactively maintain?

When buying a used vehicle I expect something to eventually break.
post #7 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
The chassis and suspension on the Touareg is totally different that what you will get in the Subaru, it is what you would find in a high end German sports car not a typical SUV.

I feel this way every time I drive our Touareg

In my opinion the driving experience in a Touareg is just sporty. Most of the time I forget I'm in an SUV and drive it like it's a sports car
post #8 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Second Vehicle: too many to list
The Touareg is entirely a Cayenne with a different badge. Think Chevy Tahoe vs Cadilac Escalade. Same vehicle, same assembly line, different front and back end bodywork and different interior. Doors and almost all mechanical systems on the diesel and V6 versions are identical.

The Subaru is entirely something different and not really at the Touareg'slevel of competence.
VWBob likes this.

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode