Owning/Daily Driving a 2006 V10 TDI Touareg: A Year In Review - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 13 Old 05-29-2019 Thread Starter

Owning/Daily Driving a 2006 V10 TDI Touareg: A Year In Review

*warning this is a lengthy post*

So today marks the 1 year point in my V10 Treg ownership. I'm writing this in hopes to help anyone who is looking to get into one of these monsters. In my one year of ownership I have experienced almost every common issue you can run into owning this car that you can imagine.

Some Background:
I purchased this Treg sight unseen at a private german car dealership outside of the Boston area. I paid for it to go to a local dealership and had a pre purchase inspection done before I flew out. I bought a 1 way ticket from Pittsburgh (where im from) and drove it home that day, roughly 8-9 hours. It had roughly 133,000 miles on it at the time of purchase. It was a one owner car and lived its life in Maine. From the time of purchase I knew the car had a small oil leak, and the flex pipe on the drivers side downpipe has a small exhaust leak.

365 Days and 40,000 miles of Ownership:
I work as a welding inspector on pipelines and my commute is anywhere from 50-100mi one way to work. So I wanted something comfortable, yet offroad ready without having to make heavy modifications to the suspension so the Touareg platform with air ride was perfect for me. Plus ive been a VAG fanboy my whole life and have always wanted a reason to own one of these, anyways my first day of ownership after the drive home from Boston, I made it 3 miles from my house and I was hit full force by the infamous center bearing driveshaft support failure 🙃. If thats not the definition of "welcome to Gen 1 Touareg/Cayenne/Q7 ownership" then idk what is. I went with the Vertex aftermarket bearing support since the dealership wanted like $1800 for a new driveshaft 40,000 miles later, no issues on that front. I put about 18,000 miles on it after the driveshaft issue with little to no issues, a new set of BFG all terrains lead me to the discovery of seized eccentric bolts in my front lower control arms, so a new set of OE Lemförder lower controls at $200 bucks a pop and was back on the road. Around that time I began to hear a weird thumping sound coming out of the top end. Sure enough a few days later I had a lifter fail on me. I was able to limp it to a local shop near where I was working in Seneca, OH who the owner of miraculously owns 2 V10 Tregs. Long story short, drivers side camshaft and 10 lifters later I was back on the road about $2500 bucks poorer. I have a 3rd party warranty that covers 50% of repair bills so the total cost to change the cam and 10 lifters was about $5000 all in. Continued to drive the vehicle and around 8,000miles later the passenger side lifter/camshaft failed on me around the 163,000 miles mark. Took it back to the shop and bought "the last camshaft in the US" according to the parts guy at the dealership. So I apologize ahead of time if no one can find a cam for cylinders 1-5 I took the last one... Anyways I had the passenger side cam and lifters replaced in January of this year I also had them change the tandem pump while they were in there to eliminate a potential source of my oil leak. Spring forward another 10,000 miles and about 3 weeks ago I had another infamous V10 failure in my Alternator. I did that job myself, as an amateur DIY'er and an amazon socket set it took me about 11 hours from start to finish. The job wasnt very difficult it just takes a ton of effort to get every little bolt off of the valley components. Intake manifolds were a pain, the fuel rails were a pain, that weird x shaped aluminum coolant pipe thing was a pain, but I got her back on the road.

Summary:
As of today I'm sitting at 173,578 miles on the odometer, and a hair under $10,000 in maintenance and repairs for the year which is close to what i paid for the vehicle ($10,700). So for anyone looking to own this car, yes most of what you read on these forums about how much trouble these things can be to own is true. Ive experienced 90% of the common failures of the model minus turbo failure (knock on wood). But everything ive experienced is servicable with the engine in the car, being the cams, alternator, tandem pump, etc. So it is possible to make these repairs with spending a million dollars at the dealership for them to pull your engine. That being said this vehicle also gets a lot of flack from people who have never owned one, or bought one thinking they were going to be maintenancing a Mk4 jetta 2.0L. My tregs original sticker price from what I could find was in the $67,000 range which correlates to around 85k in 2019 money (USD). It may be a 14 year old vehicle at this point but you're still paying to service an $85,000 car which from the repairs ive experienced through this year is probably very similar to a vehicle in that price range, and you need to be prepared for that if you plan on owning one. Theres still something to be said about the 40,000 miles ive put on this car though.. I am confident that there has not been a V10 Touareg thats rolled off the assembly line and put to the test like mine has. Those 40,000 miles I put on this thing were rough. I use mine offroad every single day, through mud rough terrain up and down giant hills and it still floats like a cloud driving it down the highway at the end of the work day. The only real issue ongoing with it is I cant find the source of my oil leak, even when I had the alternator out i checked the 2 oil connections in the valley where the pressure switch is and where the turbo return/feed line idk which way it goes and I didnt see anything but the vast majority of my leak comes from the valley and leaks down the front of the block so im stumped. Im still pretty sure my turbo seals are bad because theres a small amount of oil in both of my intakes and some drips that hit the DPF going down the road that will occasionally smoke off when i come to a stop sign which makes it look like the engine is blowing up to passer byers lol, but im not gonna change a turbo for an oil leak. When they go they will get fixed.

End of the story if you want one and you can put to the side about what its worth for repairs buy one the driving experience is excellent for a 06' vehicle. I genuinely enjoy driving it more then my 2018 Audi RS3 at times. Near future plans are a Malone tune and EGR and DPF deletes.

Lastly, enjoy some pictures of my struggles/good times in the mud 🙂
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190512_151730_1559160257386.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	504.4 KB
ID:	223467   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190211_135950_1559160887424.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	325.7 KB
ID:	223469  

Name:	20190211_140002_1559160920711.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	223471   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180809_093020_1559161014103.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	482.6 KB
ID:	223473  

Name:	20190304_151923_1559161191308.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	491.3 KB
ID:	223475  
Built4Sin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-29-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Great and enjoyable post.

Here's to the next 40,000 miles!!

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #3 of 13 Old 05-30-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
It was your post in another topic about cams removal without dropping the engine that made me send my Treg to those guys, they did a good job. You were lucky that your warranty company (Can you share the name) paid for half of the cost, mine refused saying it was ware and tare so no dice. Nice to know there is another driver out there who really uses this beast as a daily driver for such long distances. I my self put about 130 miles a day on it.

My baby: 1969 300SEL 6.3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-30-2019 Thread Starter

Yeah they called me and ask me if I knew you personally lol. Good to hear they treated you good, and got everything sorted out for you. My warranty is through 'Protect my Car' im sure they have multiple different types but the only one they offered me was the 50% coverage on repair bills. They gave me a full list of parts that are covered under it which is alot and camshafts were one of them. Its a 4 year warranty no mileage restrictions and I think I pay somewhere in the ballpark of 60 bucks a month. I've hit them for about $6000 dollars on their end in repairs so theres a good chance a V10 Touareg might now be posted all over their walls as a high risk vehicle lol.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-30-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch_moho View Post
Yeah they called me and ask me if I knew you personally lol. Good to hear they treated you good, and got everything sorted out for you. My warranty is through 'Protect my Car' im sure they have multiple different types but the only one they offered me was the 50% coverage on repair bills. They gave me a full list of parts that are covered under it which is alot and camshafts were one of them. Its a 4 year warranty no mileage restrictions and I think I pay somewhere in the ballpark of 60 bucks a month. I've hit them for about $6000 dollars on their end in repairs so theres a good chance a V10 Touareg might now be posted all over their walls as a high risk vehicle lol.
I am still bemused on how in the world did you stumble onto these guys. I mean they are in the back and beyond of anything and then be great Treg. Mechanics, what are the chances.....

post #6 of 13 Old 05-31-2019
Learner

Second Vehicle: 2015 V8 TDI
Love the v10!

V8 TDI R line MY15, White, Panoramic roof, VW towbar. Dynamic Road Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Traffic Reports, Google Earth enabled. All Led.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-31-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouaregNut View Post
Quote:
I am still bemused on how in the world did you stumble onto these guys. I mean they are in the back and beyond of anything and then be great Treg. Mechanics, what are the chances.....[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/ClubTouareg_2016/smilies/tango_face_devil.png[/IMG]
It was a one in a billion chance considering they are way out in Amish country lol. I was doing a job out in that area and I passed by their shop everyday for a month. I saw they had a ton of MK4 TDI jettas and golfs laying around outside so I stopped in one day just out of curiosity and was like, "Hey you guys ever messed with a one of these V10 Touaregs before?" He was like, "Yeah! I got two of them." So I was like well you have my business because these techs at the Dealership by my house told me this is the first one they've ever seen. Not exactly an inspiring statement from the place you're paying 130 bucks an for labor. But they are good people there they have taken care of me everytime I've taken it in. I asked them out of curiosity how much they would charge me labor for pulling the engine I think he said around 2000 bucks or so. Levi, the guy who owns the place, said he can have it out in 6-8 hours. So passively I'm stocking up on engine out parts so when something does go I have everything ready. I really need to get this oil leak and exhaust leak sorted out. Maybe this winter when I'm laid off I might just have them do everything that needs done to it. We'll see.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-31-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
It was a one in a billion chance considering they are way out in Amish country lol. I was doing a job out in that area and I passed by their shop everyday for a month. I saw they had a ton of MK4 TDI jettas and golfs laying around outside so I stopped in one day just out of curiosity and was like, "Hey you guys ever messed with a one of these V10 Touaregs before?" He was like, "Yeah! I got two of them." So I was like well you have my business because these techs at the Dealership by my house told me this is the first one they've ever seen. Not exactly an inspiring statement from the place you're paying 130 bucks an for labor. But they are good people there they have taken care of me everytime I've taken it in. I asked them out of curiosity how much they would charge me labor for pulling the engine I think he said around 2000 bucks or so. Levi, the guy who owns the place, said he can have it out in 6-8 hours. So passively I'm stocking up on engine out parts so when something does go I have everything ready. I really need to get this oil leak and exhaust leak sorted out. Maybe this winter when I'm laid off I might just have them do everything that needs done to it. We'll see.
Exactly why I was amused you finding Levi all the way out there, you really have to see the shop and meet the guys to find out what they do....... Yes they are a bunch of really really nice guys, they even took me out for dinner and broke the news of being Amish, before I left their shop for the trip back to AL. They did not argue when I made requests to use Colt Stage 2 cams or use high end lifters, I wish they were close, I would be there for all my Treg troubles.

post #9 of 13 Old 06-05-2019

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Cost of ownership of an old Treg

Since we are talking maintenance cost of ownership of an old Treg. My experience with a 04 V8 with every option available from 2011 to 2018 was an average of $3400 per year with about $8,000 the highest year. I sold the car earlier this year for about $4500 with 170,000 miles on it. I got it with 3,000 miles as the second owner and it was dealer serviced through the original warranty period and one cycle of an extended warranty. Since 2011 I looked at it as though those were about my only costs. It was depreciated down so low by then that the cost to drive the car was a little insurance and the maintenance. All in about the cost of leasing say a $25000 little cheap car and obviously, the Treg was more fun. I never had trouble with the air suspension or transmission. Those can be killers as you all know. It was a great vehicle.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-07-2019

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Thanks for the write-up!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in