New to Touareg - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 6 Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter

New to Touareg

Or Treg as I just learned.
I was driving an 08 Honda Ridgline until last week, when a notoriously faulty (except I didnt know) radiator design turned the truck I love into a lovely lawn ornament. (Coolant and tranny fluid mix)
So...now I am looking into buying a 2011 to 2014 TDI Touareg, possibly 4 motion.
Are there years I should avoid? And any easy maintenance that can save you from replacing major components such as I am facing with my Honda....2 simple fittings that corroded 😖😖
I don't drive over average miles, (km) but am considering tdi for fuel efficiency and longer engine life. 4 motion not for off-roading but for winter driving (rural Canada)
I am assuming that anything on the road has already had the emmissions fix done already
Any advice or warnings would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 1 Day Ago
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
The Touareg is an expensive car when new and can be expensive to fix.

As they get older they may be more likely, like any car, to need repairs and the cost does not come down!

It is not a car to buy if you are on a budget.

Look up SWS - steering wheel shakes - and, on the 3.0 Tdi, HPFP failures (High Pressure Fuel Pump ) which can cost, if the car is not under warranty, up to $16,000 to fix.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
The Following User Says Thank You to noobytoogy For This Useful Post:
iamcanadian783 (8 Hours Ago)
post #3 of 6 Old 10 Hours Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for slapping some sense into me. I have been a many time Jetta tdi owner and miss my vw. But I think you're right about jumping into a touareg at this point. I would buy their tdi pickup if they sold it in Canada. Last time I saw one was I the UK.
Thanks again for your answer 😊
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 8 Hours Ago

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toogie View Post
Or Treg as I just learned.
I was driving an 08 Honda Ridgline until last week, when a notoriously faulty (except I didnt know) radiator design turned the truck I love into a lovely lawn ornament. (Coolant and tranny fluid mix)
So...now I am looking into buying a 2011 to 2014 TDI Touareg, possibly 4 motion.
Are there years I should avoid? And any easy maintenance that can save you from replacing major components such as I am facing with my Honda....2 simple fittings that corroded 😖😖
I don't drive over average miles, (km) but am considering tdi for fuel efficiency and longer engine life. 4 motion not for off-roading but for winter driving (rural Canada)
I am assuming that anything on the road has already had the emmissions fix done already
Any advice or warnings would be much appreciated!
Toogie, I know exactly the purchasing research you have ahead of you! I've been shopping for an affordable Touareg since 2002, and finally got my 2015 TDI Execline this year. (it only took me 17 years and 1 diesel emissions scandal before the Tregs became affordable, haha!)

I recommend watching DCR's video review of Buying a Used Touareg II (7P):

Driving.ca also has multiple reviews on the Touareg II over the 2012-2017 years

If you are going to buy a diesel Touareg, I offer you the following suggestions:

1. If you can afford to, hold out for a loaded Touareg TDI Highline / R-Line / Execline, 2012 or newer (2nd Gen, 7P). Definitely get the 4Motion for the snow and ice security. If you're going to live with the vehicle for several years, then get all the trim fixings that will remind you every day that you've spoiled yourself. Execlines and Highlines in Canada should sell in the $34-$39k CAD range if they're 100,00 km mileage or more. R-Lines have the paddle shifter steering wheel that is $2000CAD to add later, BUT has the firmer suspension tuning.

2. You MUST use good diesel fuel conditioner to keep the engine lubricated. *Every* tank you must do this! I believe you're in Canada (where our metro-area diesel is consistently good for lubricity), so your risk of the high pressure fuel pump grinding out metal fillings is reduced. But regardless, spend an extra 4 bucks per 100 litres of diesel, and you can keep you HPFP metal shavings risk to near-zero.

3. Always refill the diesel tank at 1/4 remaining or sooner. This is to keep the high pressure fuel pump submerged and lubricated.

4. Invest in a good CTEK 7002 or other 7+ Amps AGM-battery-friendly smart trickle charger. You need to keep a reliably-topped battery if you do city driving with lots of stop and start. Not to mention, we Canucks have to deal with -35C.

5. Regularly find a reason to drive 100km for lunch or visit a friend each month. Highway miles will support your diesel regen and burn off the accumulated soot that is the residue of having such a torquey vehicle. You say that you are rural, so long drives may just be part of your weekly routine already!
I have owned many vehicles in my time, including Audi, Acura, Honda, Toyota, Ford, Dodge, Chrysler, and Volkswagen. The Touareg TDI is my favorite for not only daily driving practicality, but for a premium driver experience without the showiness of a Cayenne or a BMW X5.

For me, the Touareg TDI is like having a beautiful large German Shepherd Dog with a sensitive stomach: if you are diligent in your feeding and lavish with your love, it will be a regal and hardworking companion that will serve you for years!

p.s. here is my TDI on a cloudy Alberta day:

Here is some of the food that I regularly feed my TDI: (from Canadian Tire, 10 bucks for the smaller bottle, which will last me 3 tanks of 100 litres)

Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
post #5 of 6 Old 6 Hours Ago Thread Starter

Thanks"iamcanadian7"!! for some great advice. I think I will hold off on this purchase for now because of my budget, but for future reference, your advice will be invaluable. Seems to cover the concerns voiced by the previous comment.
Thanks guys, for taking the time to help out a novice
post #6 of 6 Old 3 Hours Ago
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
@ iamCanadian

Outstanding post!

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in