Advertising posts appearing in RSS feeds - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 4 Old 03-13-2008 Thread Starter

Advertising posts appearing in RSS feeds

I am tired of having to skip through pages and pages of mobile phone ads when reading the RSS feed to the site.

Can anything be done by the admins to prevent this, e.g captcha account creation validation, email account creation validation, post size restriction for new users, no RSS updates for first time posters, etc.?

Regards
P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-18-2008
Supporting Member

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
ptr727,

Our mod team does a very good job at zapping spam but we are a small team so our coverage can be limited sometimes. That means a spam or two might stay on the site for a little bit longer because no one is online to zap it that instant. What would help us most is you all using the Report Post feature which is the image that looks like this under the avatar area on each post. When you all use that, it sends all the mods and admins a notice and we can then zap it.

Regarding captcha, we actually use that in our registration process as well as requiring all members to validate the email address used to register. So we are trying as much as we can to keep things spam free with the tools available but unfortunately some real spammers slide through.

I will talk with the team about a few things. We have grown quite a bit in the last year after a slow period. It might be time to grow our team which would help us have more coverage. I'll also discuss some other ideas with them that might help.

Thanks for your patience & understanding.

Andy
post #3 of 4 Old 03-18-2008
Supporting Member

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
I wanted to follow up as I just reviewed the settings. We also use a feature called No which requires people registering to type in words to prevent bots. I think the reason our community gets a bit more spam (for it's size) is that it used to be running phpBB which was known as an easy target for spammers. I know they use search engines to find targets and that's probably how they are finding us. Hopefully over time this will become less of an issue. It's only been about a year since we moved to vBulletin so hopefully after another year our connection to phpBB will lessen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-18-2008 Thread Starter

Andy, thank you for the follow up.

I use BlogLines to view the RSS feed from this site, and even if the post gets deleted from the forum, the post entry is still in the BlogLines feed. I.e. if I click on the entry in BlogLines the post can't be found on the forum.

So it seem that even if you and your team are very responsive, thank you for that, the BlogLines automation may be faster

Best defense seems to be to keep the bots of the site, and I hope to see more improvements, i.e. less spam in the RSS feed.

Regards
P.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode