Touareg 7P: no dedicated high beams? useless middle LED - Club Touareg Forums

Old 09-01-2015 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Touareg 7P: no dedicated high beams? useless middle LED

Hi,

I noticed that the middle, grille-side single LEDs on my bixenons are just a decoration with no purpose. Currently for high beam headlight low-beam xenons are 'lifted" up. They seem to bee too weak, and not good for flashing while running on daylight LEDs.

But are there Touareg headlights versions where there are separate dedicated high beams in the middle? I would like to use them for flashing or for additional high beam visibility at night in pair with bixenons high beam.

Or can I simply replace the useless LED with a proper high-beam projector form another touareg headlight?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	touared 2010 headlight.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	118753  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2015
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2010 V6 TDI
The headlights on your Touareg are equipped with bixenon projectors. They use the same projector, bulb and ballast for the low beam and high beam function. When you are using them in low beam operation there is a shroud that is covering the bulb partially to prevent the full amount of light from escaping. When you turn on the high beams, the shroud is retracted and the entire output from the bulbs is released. That is their design. Sometimes cars are equipped with bixenon projectors but also flash to pass bulbs inside of them towards the grille, however the T3 Touareg is not.

I don't think any T3 Touareg is equipped with flash to pass lights anymore.

Might want to try replacing the bulbs with these, they are definitely brighter than stock.
http://hidconcept.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=223

2012 Dark Flint Metallic Touareg TDI Exec - Sold back to VW
2010 Sapphire Blue Pearl Touareg TDI Lux Limited
Old 09-01-2015
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2008 V6
I've always wondered what that little LED was for on the inside. It's only lit when the lights are on, but it doesn't seem to do much other than provide another few lumens of light output.

As for the shrouds, when you switch from high to low or low to high you can tell they are using something to obscure the light output. I assume that it is on the inside of the light on the bottom, before it goes through the projector lens.

Current:
2014 TDI Exec - White w/ Cornsilk

Gone to a great new home:
2008 V6 Cranberry Red - Lux Plus (Leather, Keyless) Tech + Dynaudio, Air, Tow, 4 Zone Climate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2015
Administrator

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
The middle led is just decorative.

No Touareg has had separate highbeams on Xenon equipped vehicles. The early ones had halogen flash to pass, but highbeam duty was done by the xenons.

There was the old "six gun salute" on the early Tregs, but it was essentially useless as the bi-xenons on high beam overwhelmed the flash to pass halogen inner beams. That's why they did away with it on the T2. Only the base model halogen beams got 4 lamps on (lo + hi) again, quite weak compared to bi-xenons on the single lamp.

I've never heard anyone call the T3 headlamps weak. Yours may be incorrectly adjusted

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in