Moisture in Air Suspension - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 18 Old 02-14-2012 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2007 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Moisture in Air Suspension

Hi everybody, newbie here!

I am a Brit living in Poland and have recently bought a 2007 V10... very nice!

I had some problems with Running Gear Fault Stop messages so I took it to the local VW place.

About £1600 later I got it back, the main things replaced were 0AD341601C Transfer box motor and 7L6616403B Air Spring.

All was well until it got really cold - that's about -29c here - the Running Gear Fault Stop message came up again so I went back to the garage.

They appeared to agree with my diagnosis of moisture in the air suspension system as it would not lower at all, they kept the car for a couple of days and once it warmed up the suspension was OK, when I asked if it could happen again the answer was 'probably' and when asked if they could fix it was told that the air suspension was a sealed system and no.

So I looked at the invoice and saw that an air spring had been replaced.

Can anybody please confirm or otherwise that to replace the air spring you have to completely de-pressurise the system, and the moist air introduced on re-pressurisation is the problem, and any ideas what to do about it?

I have read that there is an air dryer which should not need replacing, has anybody else had any problems?

Thanks

Andy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-14-2012
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2005 V8
I've wondered about this myself. I've owned trucks with custom air suspension and all the systems have had water traps that we would drain. I would how these systems maintain themselves.

2005 Black VW Touareg V8 - RNS2 Nav/JL Audio - Air Suspension - 19" VW wheels - Morimoto 5k Lows and 4300K Fogs
post #3 of 18 Old 02-15-2012
Touareg Mechanic

Check out this in the DIY forum: SSP 302 Touareg Chassis Concept.pdf

There's a silica gel dryer.

2006 V10 TDI Reflex Silver/Anthracite w/Monster Mats, Cargo Shell, Nokian WRG2's, Telestart T91 and VCDS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 02-15-2012 Thread Starter

SSP_302

Yes, I already had that.

I am wondering if I am the only person who has ever had a problem like this as I am usually jinxed...

Andy.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-15-2012

Touareg: 2006 V6
You're not the only one. I'm experiencing exactly the same problem, except that no work has been done on the suspension. However I don't know the solution.

I came across a post on a german site. This guy seemed to be having trouble lowering the rear struts only as far as I recall (and my german is not very good). But still because of freezing weather. He fixed his problem by changing what I think was the residual pressure retaining valve on both struts.

If I can find the post again, I'll post a link here, maybe someone with better german skills can help out.

I'm having lowering troubles in all four corners when it freezes, is your problem the same?

--
Loengard
post #6 of 18 Old 02-15-2012

Touareg: 2006 V6
Here's the german thread:
Hochstand Luftfahrwerk bei Minusgraden

And there's even a thread on this site about the residual pressure retaining valve:
https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f4...wer-64746.html

Still the question is, do we have the same problem, since all 4 struts are affected or is it the valve body that somehow freezes up? I don't know

--
Loengard
post #7 of 18 Old 02-15-2012

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
hey guys,
i live in gibraltar in the south of spain and i havnt got problems with extreme cold but just the other day i was drivin my V10 and all of the sudden the filter dryer on the air suspension compressor blew , any1 experienced this b4 or any ideas on why this would happen ? im a bit suprised since the vehicle only has 35000km on the clock!
post #8 of 18 Old 02-15-2012
Touareg Mechanic

There is a moisture trap in the air suspension system,relatively small capacity ,system shouldn't be used for tire inflation unless necessary,Marty
post #9 of 18 Old 02-16-2012 Thread Starter

Hi Loengard

Yes, problem is that you can raise the car but not lower it until something has defrosted.

If you look at the SSP_302 document referred to above it states that the gel dryer regenerates when the air is let out of the system. All I can think is that the air was let out another way when the air spring was replaced and the gel cartridge is not absorbing any more moisture.

Of course getting any sense out of the VW garage is a bit of a waste of time...

I did email VW Germany but it seems they can't be bothered to reply - anybody got a factory email that may get to somebody who knows what they are doing?

Andy.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-16-2012
Touareg Mechanic

There is an air dryer cartridge built into the pump. Obviously this has a limited life, which is why it is not recommended to use the air system for anything other than the air suspension and for emergency air to the tires.Marty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode