In Italy-- considering 06 2.5 or 07 3.0.. - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 5 Old 07-21-2015 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
In Italy-- considering 06 2.5 or 07 3.0..

Hi all,

I'm American, with an Italian wife... I own an '11 V6 at home, mostly love it (another subject), but considering helping my wife to buy a used T-Reg here in Italy (near Bologna).

I have 2 I'm considering.. As the subject reads, both TDI's, the 2.5 a Manual, 3.0 is Automatic...

Both vehicles have around 132k, both seem to be in decent shape (3.0 better I think )... I've seen and driven the 2.5, not the 3.0 yet... Both being sold from dealers, both come with a year warranty, both for around 12,5 Euro. 2.5 is leaking some oil under the motor (could not get it on a rack), but a few drips after a short test drive... Dealer said they'd fix anything need be...? It drove well otherwise, but noticed a slight 'purr' under acceleration, but no idea if that is normal for the 2.5 or not.

I've read and made a little page to keep on my phone, all the great info from this forum about 'buying a used Reg', and also another thread here concerning these two motors, but 3 years old ... I know the 3.0 has NOT had the timing chain replaced, have to ask about the other important big dollar (euro) items, on both trucks .... Still not completely clear on what it means if things like that chain have not been replaced yet, at this odometer count.

Without going into anymore detail (I know, more preferably needed), if it were you, which one would you lean towards, and why?

Thanks in advance ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-21-2015
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Timing chains are not replaced.

Buy the 3.0Tdi if it checks out - far nicer than the 2.5 which picks quite a few parts from the VW van part bins.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-22-2015 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
Timing chains are not replaced.

Buy the 3.0Tdi if it checks out - far nicer than the 2.5 which picks quite a few parts from the VW van part bins.
Thanks Nooby for the reply ... Guess I have to go back and read more, I was under the impression that the timing chains usually need to be replaced at some point, and if not, was a ticking time bomb ...?

'If it checks out' is the question.. the 3.0 is not close, at least a couple hours away, and I go back to the states tomorrow, so don't think I will get to see this one ... With this 'one year warranty' to help give me some confidence, if you don't mind, what are the most important things I should have the dealer check, and get in writing that it 'checks out', so she can then go drive it?

Thanks again ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-22-2015
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
3.0 for sure !!
post #5 of 5 Old 07-22-2015
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
You may have picked up that the 3.2 petrol / gasser can sometimes have a problem with the timing chain stretching. It's a known but fairly rare issue.

Here in the UK you can get an independent engineer's report from one of the national car breakdown companies [and others] for about GP£100 or so. I don't know if that's available in Italy.

e.g. http://www.rac.co.uk/buying-a-car/vehicle-inspections

To be able to offer a warranty, I feel pretty sure the dealer will have had to undertake a vehicle inspection. Ask to see a copy of this. See if it details mm left on tyre [tire] tread [4mm or less and you'll soon need a new set], percentage wear on brake pads, thickness of discs [rotors], and so on.

We have to have an annual safety test - brakes, steering, suspension, bushes, safety belts, emissions, etc., all get checked out. I think this is the same throughout the European Union now. So when was the car last tested? Were there any advisories - possible issues that do not fail the car but get noted?

Here we go:

http://rome.angloinfo.com/informatio...oadworthiness/

I see it's every two years though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode